Fee waiver from BC last week?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
table3

Fee waiver from BC last week?

Postby table3 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:05 pm

163/3.59/about four years of work experience.

I'm scratching my head over this a bit and was hoping to get some insight here. BC sent me an effusive, complimentary email last week in which they encouraged me to apply and waived the fee.

My numbers don't exactly pop. Months ago, I flagged BC in CAS as a potential school to apply to, but never submitted. Could this have something to do with it? Would a school of that standing encourage last-minute applications just to issue denials and keep their acceptance rate low?

I applied and would be quite interested if accepted.
Last edited by table3 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pcjudge

Re: Fee waiver from BC last week?

Postby pcjudge » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Law schools send tons of fee waivers to increase the number of people applying. Looks good for them. Don't be too flattered, it doesn't mean much. You might have a shot with those numbers, but not this late.

table3

Postby table3 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:53 pm

pcjudge wrote:Law schools send tons of fee waivers to increase the number of people applying. Looks good for them. Don't be too flattered, it doesn't mean much. You might have a shot with those numbers, but not this late.

Yeah, the fact that I'm receiving the waiver this late is what's throwing me off.
Last edited by table3 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pcjudge

Postby pcjudge » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:56 pm

Assume nothing because it means virtually nothing.

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Same position here. I've got a rush of probably a dozen new fee waivers. I imagine a large majority of them are to tweak numbers, improve selectivity, etc.... but at $21 its not a huge cost. I'm looking at the LSAC data of people admitted in our #s range (160-164) and seeing if there is a chance. Some are just blatant # grabs... like Alabama which admitted no one in that range. But others there is a chance, and I think a 25% shot at a good school is probably worth 20 bucks. I'm just tapering expectations and whatever happens, happens.

table3

Postby table3 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:03 pm

ha-ri wrote:Same position here. I've got a rush of probably a dozen new fee waivers. I imagine a large majority of them are to tweak numbers, improve selectivity, etc.... but at $21 its not a huge cost. I'm looking at the LSAC data of people admitted in our #s range (160-164) and seeing if there is a chance. Some are just blatant # grabs... like Alabama which admitted no one in that range. But others there is a chance, and I think a 25% shot at a good school is probably worth 20 bucks. I'm just tapering expectations and whatever happens, happens.

Not so sure about that with Alabama: http://alabama.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:13 pm

This grid is what I was going off - http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/publi ... ac1830.pdf

and that the median LSAT was 165 and the 75% marker was 167. It seems unlikely that a 163 would get in... and when they sent me a waiver my score was actually a 160 (its now higher).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”