Creighton / Nebraska

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Creighton or Nebraska?

Creighton University, Full Tuition + Fees + Textbook Stipend
73%
University of Nebraska-Lincoln, In-State Tuition (14k)
27%

Total votes: 15

ArchieHicox

Creighton / Nebraska

Postby ArchieHicox » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm a late applicant so I'm still waiting to hear back from a number of places. As of now I've been admitted to two schools I'm seriously considering. My #s are 163 LSAT (taken test 3x) and 2.97 GPA. I have a full tuition + fees + textbooks stipend from Creighton University in Omaha. I attended a Jesuit University for undergrad and I am from Omaha and have some ties in the area. It would literally cost me almost nothing to attend Creighton, and Creighton does seem to have a good reputation in Omaha.

I have also been admitted to Nebraska, which is slightly higher ranked and seems to attract better students (at least going off LSAT #s). Nebraska's instate tuition is 14k a year, which is manageable. Like I said, I'm still awaiting some other schools but if I had to go today what would you suggest?

Creighton is ranked #135 (TTT) and Nebraska is #89 (TT). Unsure of exactly how much the rankings matter but they are a factor.

I suspect the Creighton offer is one of the better (if not the best) I'll receive this cycle because my pending applications are to schools significantly higher ranked.

DocHawkeye

Re: Creighton / Nebraska

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:14 pm

2L at UNL here. If you're looking to practice in Omaha, I doubt very much that a degree from Creigton will hurt you over a degree from UNL since Creighton places very well in the local market. On the other hand, I'm not sure that a Creighton degree is going to super marketable outside of Nebraska. As much as it pains me to say it (I kid), I don't think the difference in ranking is enough to go into substantial debt for the UNL degree, especially since a UNL degree isn't a great deal more marketable than one from Creigton outside of Nebraska.

That being said, I don't know anything about the quality of student or professor at Creighton. Overall, the students at UNL are a bright bunch, many of them are highly motivated. I like it here. Nothing in the second paragraph is likely of any help to you.

xChiTowNx

Postby xChiTowNx » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Last edited by xChiTowNx on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I'm planning on visiting Nebraska this week and Creighton next week to get a better feel for things. My undergraduate university was very, very similar to Creighton and I imagine the culture is similar at Creighton. Some good and some bad about that.

I don't think I'm going to get any money from Nebraska, but I could be wrong. I got a phone call last week and I'm waiting on the physical letter so who knows?

I'm a little concerned with the #s at Creighton since some of the LSAT #s are anemically low, and I don't know what that says about quality.

The stips I'm not a 100% sure as to what exactly they are. I will have to talk to someone at Creighton to figure it out, but it says on my admission letter that it is renewable, "as long as you remain a full-time student in good standing". It would probably change things if the stip was 40%, so I need to find out that answer. I'm planning to go down and visit once Spring Break is over and I will ask them then.

The scholarship is worth so much money, and its making the decision harder than I thought it would be. I was prepared for ~20k a year in expenses and wanted to keep my debt load to somewhere under $75k. The option to go through law school for near free is so, so appealing.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:14 pm

ha-ri wrote: "as long as you remain a full-time student in good standing".

This sounds like no stipulations to me.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:48 pm

I do feel compelled to point out that UNL is now ranked 61st by USNWR. This does not materially change my analysis.

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:55 pm

I just heard.... Its a huge jump! Nebraska is ranked higher than Mizzou, KU, Oklahoma, and just about all their legit competitors in the region. Its impressive. Creighton jumped a bit too.

I'm actually visiting campus tomorrow morning so I'm definitely going to try to ask some questions and see if its a fit. If I could get a little money to Lincoln it would be better haha. Do you know if they negotiate scholarships at all? I actually haven't heard back regarding money yet, but I was held (for ~ week) before being admitted, so that doesn't bode well in terms of money. They didn't admit me until after the LSAT boost (from 160-163).

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:01 pm

I was actually deferred myself, although not actually waitlisted because I am from OOS. I still ended up getting $8K/yr in schorlaships and they didn't mention it on the phone when they called, either. FWIW, I was a 3.3/159. In terms of negotiations, I was able to negotiate the stisp of my scholarships (only required to remain in "good academic standing") but wasn't able to get more money. Things are different now, though since the number of applicants overall is going down, so you might have better luck than I did. I wish I was on campus in the mornings to say hello - I'm working in Omaha most days. Let me know what your thoughts are. I think the facilities are quite impressive.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:15 am

let me know how your visit goes, i'm planning on visiting soon as well

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:10 pm

This post is more for people searching in the archives in the future than anything. Thought it could be helpful to have a review out there of the facilities. The Law School building is very, very nice and its got a nice touch of classic and modern and I was pretty impressed with the actual physical building. Sat in on a class and thought it was interesting, but at the same time nothing out of this world. The tour guide and admissions staff was helpful, but the tour guide who was a 3L with work experience seemed like he wasn't going to find a JD-Required job, so I don't know what that says about the rest of the class. That kind of stuck with me. That and the school is lily white. There were maybe 75 students in the morning class and about 73 were white. That was a little shocking. Not to be too critical, but I wasn't very impressed with my fellow prospective students on my tour. That doesn't necessarily mean anything because they may not even be students next year, but it left a lot to be desired. I'll definitely know more once I visit Creighton and I can do a direct comparison.

The admissions staff was friendly but I didn't really appreciate the double talk they were engaging in... like a girl asked them how many graduates are working in JD Required positions in six months, and the admissions team gave her the JD Required+Preferred Number (of ~90%) when the actual number isn't anywhere near that high. That isn't a slam on Nebraska's employment numbers at all, but it did feel a little used cars salesman esque. I don't expect UNL to have everyone employed in JD required positions... its unreasonable but at least be honest about it when asked.

I want to work in Omaha and it kind of seemed like their placement in the Omaha area wasn't the best. That was the impression I got from the visit and just going off the attorneys in Omaha Mid-Law its all Creighton. UNL, did mention a lot of people in Kearney, Scottsbluff, Norfolk, etc. but that just isn't an option for me (I'm not white so I don't really think me living in small town Nebraska is going to work).

Anyways, I was able to take a couple of pictures. I didn't want to make too much of a scene or be that awkward guy so I didn't get the best pictures, but none the less it may be helpful to someone in my shoes later on.

http://imgur.com/a/sPJCW

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:13 pm

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:33 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=creighton

Forum Warrior, I'm not sure what the point of the link is. Literally every school between 15-100+ has numbers in that range (save for a handful of schools like LSU). It is what it is. People have to be smart and take measured risks. Attending Creighton for FREE is hardly a mistake by any standard.

I think people on TLS assume that everyone wants NYC/Big Law. I'm from Nebraska and want to stay in the MidWest. For my purposes attending Creighton for $0 is not a poor decision. Or even attending Nebraska or Kansas or Mizzou at a reasonable price. I think if a person can attend a decent state school or regional law school at a reasonable price (say sub 50k) its not a bad decision necessarily.

/Rant over.

I'm a pretty reasonable person, Forum Warrior, and I would appreciate any advice or critiques.... but I just don't understand how attending Creighton at the price-point I'm at is a reckless decision. But please enlighten me.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:11 pm

thanks for posting the info from your visit, do you think a non white person from out of state would face a disadvantage when looking for jobs

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:20 pm

cooldude87 wrote:thanks for posting the info from your visit, do you think a non white person from out of state would face a disadvantage when looking for jobs

Yes & No. I'm not white, but I've grown up in Omaha, Nebraska and I couldn't imagine race being a barrier to finding a job in Omaha or Lincoln. Western Nebraska is another entire ball game and that part of the state isn't exactly known for being the most modern. I would bet if you were willing to hustle, you could still get a job being asian or black, but it wouldn't be easy. I just don't think anyone would want to work in Western Nebraska, with all due respect to the citizens of those areas. Its just not what most people want. Again, this is a bit of speculation on my part. So take it for what you may. Like outside of the cities there are is no diversity. There is some hispanic population in some factories in central Nebraska and some native american tribes, but for the most part it is very, very homogeneous. I don't think that is the easiest community to break into as is, and adding in dark skin or a foreign sounding name makes it much harder.

There isn't much out and out racism in Nebraska, and it certainly isn't Mississippi or anything like that. But there are certain things that come with being in a 95% white state. I grew up in Omaha in a school district which was 95% white, and it was never too bad. There was some racism, but nothing brutal or institutionalized. I think a person of color would have an even shot of finding a job in Omaha or Lincoln. And if you are qualified, maybe a little bit better than even shot in Omaha/Lincoln. I can't speak to the Western small towns, and maybe this is my bias, but I don't think you would want to live there to begin with.

Flash

Postby Flash » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:58 pm

ha-ri wrote:
cooldude87 wrote:thanks for posting the info from your visit, do you think a non white person from out of state would face a disadvantage when looking for jobs

Yes & No. I'm not white, but I've grown up in Omaha, Nebraska and I couldn't imagine race being a barrier to finding a job in Omaha or Lincoln. Western NeMbraska is another entire ball game and that part of the state isn't exactly known for being the most modern. I would bet if you were willing to hustle, you could still get a job being asian or black, but it wouldn't be easy. I just don't think anyone would want to work in Western Nebraska, with all due respect to the citizens of those areas. Its just not what most people want. Again, this is a bit of speculation on my part. So take it for what you may. Like outside of the cities there are is no diversity. There is some hispanic population in some factories in central Nebraska and some native american tribes, but for the most part it is very, very homogeneous. I don't think that is the easiest community to break into as is, and adding in dark skin or a foreign sounding name makes it much harder.

There isn't much out and out racism in Nebraska, and it certainly isn't Mississippi or anything like that. But there are certain things that come with being in a 95% white state. I grew up in Omaha in a school district which was 95% white, and it was never too bad. There was some racism, but nothing brutal or institutionalized. I think a person of color would have an even shot of finding a job in Omaha or Lincoln. And if you are qualified, maybe a little bit better than even shot in Omaha/Lincoln. I can't speak to the Western small towns, and maybe this is my bias, but I don't think you would want to live there to begin with.

Somebody went to Millard.

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks for the info, if I do come I'd be looking for jobs in Lincoln/Omaha, not anywhere in the west or smaller towns. What were people wearing at the visit

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:10 pm

I think you could go casually dressed and be fine. I wore a nice(r) shirt and felt comfortable (and maybe even a little overdressed). There was one guy wearing a blazer and sweater and the other two guys were just wearing normal button down shirts. I wouldn't wear a suit or anything like that, and the vibe was definitely casual. It wasn't an interview or anything too professional.

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:37 pm

ha-ri wrote:I'm a late applicant so I'm still waiting to hear back from a number of places. As of now I've been admitted to two schools I'm seriously considering. My #s are 163 LSAT (taken test 3x) and 2.97 GPA. I have a full tuition + fees + textbooks stipend from Creighton University in Omaha. I attended a Jesuit University for undergrad and I am from Omaha and have some ties in the area. It would literally cost me almost nothing to attend Creighton, and Creighton does seem to have a good reputation in Omaha.

I have also been admitted to Nebraska, which is slightly higher ranked and seems to attract better students (at least going off LSAT #s). Nebraska's instate tuition is 14k a year, which is manageable. Like I said, I'm still awaiting some other schools but if I had to go today what would you suggest?

Creighton is ranked #135 (TTT) and Nebraska is #89 (TT). Unsure of exactly how much the rankings matter but they are a factor.

I suspect the Creighton offer is one of the better (if not the best) I'll receive this cycle because my pending applications are to schools significantly higher ranked.

Neither. Bad idea. Stupid, stupid, stupid. You are not smart enough to succeed in law.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”