GW (free) vs UC Hastings (free) for shitlaw and up

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
T3chn0viking

GW (free) vs UC Hastings (free) for shitlaw and up

Postby T3chn0viking » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:52 am

I've narrowed my list of acceptances to Hastings and GW.

I would prefer to live in San Francisco, or at least California. But I'd like to attend GW for the better employment numbers/it's a better school (From what I've seen here and elsewhere online it seems like it can be hard to find a job coming out of Hastings). The issue here is that if I attend GW I know I'd better plan on practicing nearby.

My question is, as someone who will be attending on the GI Bill with tuition and COL paid for (no debt), do you guys recommend that I assume the risk of taking Hastings because it is in the region that I would prefer to practice in? Or should I go to GW for the better employment numbers? (East Coast isn't really so terrible anyway...).

I've worked for over a year on the central California coast, as well as in Baltimore, so I have at least a tiny bit of ties to each area (not from either place originally).

Also, considering that debt won't be a factor, and that I do not think Big Law would be a good fit for me, I think I would be perfectly happy in a small law firm, or some other form of stable/livable shitlaw.

What's TCR?

Tom Joad

Re: GW (free) vs UC Hastings (free) for shitlaw and up

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:53 am

Finally somebody that knows what's up. Go to school in the geographical region you want to practice in.

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:19 am

If you want California Hastings sounds like the move.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:28 am

Tom Joad wrote:Finally somebody that knows what's up. Go to school in the geographical region you want to practice in.

This. GW likely won't give you enough of an employment boost to make up for the fact that you won't be living somewhere you want to.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:01 am

patrickd139 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Finally somebody that knows what's up. Go to school in the geographical region you want to practice in.

This. GW likely won't give you enough of an employment boost to make up for the fact that you won't be living somewhere you want to.

I disagree. OP said the East Coast would be all right (although not his first choice), and Hastings employment numbers are SPS.....45% employed in long-term full-time legal jobs, 12% in big law and clerkships combined. Yikes. Many TT/TTT/TTTTs perform better than their LT/FT employed percentage. GW is 60-65% when you take out their massive school-funded program. That is at least a ~33% (60%/45%=1.33) greater chance of getting a job. If you go to GW, you can apply in CA, but you should recognize that it is unlikely you will get back there. If that is not satisfactory, you should retake and reapply. Honestly both of these choices are pretty terrible. The only thing that makes it marginal is the fact that they are free. But you still might waste three years and get no job. What kind of salary are you aiming for?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

I disagree. OP said the East Coast would be all right (although not his first choice), and Hastings employment numbers are SPS.....45% employed in long-term full-time legal jobs, 12% in big law and clerkships combined. Yikes. Many TT/TTT/TTTTs perform better than their LT/FT employed percentage. GW is 60-65% when you take out their massive school-funded program. That is at least a ~33% (60%/45%=1.33) greater chance of getting a job. If you go to GW, you can apply in CA, but you should recognize that it is unlikely you will get back there. If that is not satisfactory, you should retake and reapply. Honestly both of these choices are pretty terrible. The only thing that makes it marginal is the fact that they are free. But you still might waste three years and get no job. What kind of salary are you aiming for?

I never said OP should go to GW, full stop. I said the increased career opportunities at GW wouldn't make up for the fact that s/he wouldn't be living in a place s/he wanted. S/he shouldn't take into account the 33% increase if s/he really wants to live in CA, and should go to GW if s/he really wants to live near DC.

In other words, I was adding to Tom Joad's post, which says OP should go to the geographic area s/he wants to live in after graduation.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:18 pm

If you are OK working on the east coast or even a bit closer to the middle of the country, GW for free is a great deal. You seem to be OK with that. Would be hard for me to turn down if I was in your shoes.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Is there a noticeable hiring boost for veterans? That might change things for OP.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”