Help me weigh these options...again Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best bet given my circumstances (parenthetical values are student loan balance at repaymet):

Columbia ($242,469)
1%
Chicago ($80,256)
47%
NYU ($128,033)
5%
UVA ($20,870)
39%
Michigan ($14,850)
7%

Total votes: 74

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Re: Help me weigh these options...again

Post by fruitoftheloom » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:49 am

To be clear, I don't think UVA is a MIAMI POWERHOUSE. I don't know what your odds are of finding a biglaw job in Miami, but I don't imagine they're very good. I guess my bigger point is that with 20-30k in debt, you have more options. If being in Miami is your super-priority in life, you can get a job at Starbucks and pay this back. Is the degree worth it in that case? probs not. But I guess I just sort of assumed that you're super set on law school.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:09 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:16 am

elterrible78 wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:I'll wait for your 3rd post on this subject when you've gotten into Harvard and negotiated scholarship info with Columbia.
Ha! Getting into Harvard is far from a foregone conclusion, although I do appreciate the vote of confidence. To be honest, I would almost certainly take the $120k at Chicago over Columbia with a full ride, and I wouldn't pay a significant amount more for Harvard, I don't think, even if I did get in.
To be fair, I don't know how you weren't already accepted with your numbers, so maybe not.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:21 am

Regulus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why is everyone pretending that UVA is some MIAMI POWERHOUSE
If we were to make elterrible78's current options fight each other in terms of geographic proximity to Miami, UVA would be the clear winner. However, if we were to include Duke in the battle, it would clearly become the new Miami powerhouse. In this regard, the true powerhouses are going to be schools located in Miami, like FIU - legal education at its best.
Can you redo this based on flight availability & prices? Seems like that would be the best practical indicator of proximity.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Regulus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why is everyone pretending that UVA is some MIAMI POWERHOUSE
If we were to make elterrible78's current options fight each other in terms of geographic proximity to Miami, UVA would be the clear winner. However, if we were to include Duke in the battle, it would clearly become the new Miami powerhouse. In this regard, the true powerhouses are going to be schools located in Miami, like FIU - legal education at its best.
Yeah, just do networking with Miami biglaw partners in Charlottesville.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”