UCI vs. Hastings vs. USD vs. Loyola LA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCI vs. Hastings vs. USD vs. Loyola LA

Loyola LA
2%
UC Hastings
22%
UC Irvine
63%
University of San Diego
12%

Total votes: 41

kimeo

New

UCI vs. Hastings vs. USD vs. Loyola LA

Post by kimeo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:56 am

Trying to choose among these four schools or at least narrow down the list to two:

- UCI: $25k/year scholarship, housing would be free since my family is from Irvine, currently work at a firm in Irvine. However, I feel like attending UCI would be a huge risk given that it's such a new school.
- USD: $35k/year scholarship, attended UCSD for undergrad so I'm familiar with the area.
- Loyola LA: $30k/year scholarship, would love to work in the LA area but would also be competing against USC/UCLA graduates
- UC Hastings: scholarship information is unknown right now since I haven't received anything from Hastings besides an acceptance letter and an email. I think any money I would receive would be greatly offset by the cost of living in SF. But so far, this is the best ranked school I've been accepted to, so I wonder if the potential sticker would be worth it?

Still waiting on Davis, UCLA, and USC, but not sure what my chances are. For reference, my numbers are 3.5/165. After graduation, I want to try to find work around the LA/OC area, possibly in environmental law or FCIL. Also looking into completing my MLIS in the future. Thanks for your help!
Last edited by kimeo on Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Re: UCI vs. Hastings vs. USD vs. Loyola LA

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:00 am

Please, do not attend TTTT uc irvine. I don't care that you're from Irvine. You mustn't go to that toilet of a law skewl.

The best option would PROBABLY be USD, if you want to practice in SD. Loyola is too much of a risk. Hastings at sticker is insane in the membrane.

Rankings outside T14 are irrelevant. Go where you want to practice, the school that offers you the most $$, that has high — as compared to your other options — employment placement, that is accredited by ABA, and be sure that retake is not your option anymore.

kimeo

New

Post by kimeo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:32 am

Dr. Dre wrote:Please, do not attend TTTT uc irvine. I don't care that you're from Irvine. You mustn't go to that toilet of a law skewl.

The best option would PROBABLY be USD, if you want to practice in SD. Loyola is too much of a risk. Hastings at sticker is insane in the membrane.

Rankings outside T14 are irrelevant. Go where you want to practice, the school that offers you the most $$, that has high — as compared to your other options — employment placement, that is accredited by ABA, and be sure that retake is not your option anymore.
Helpful, thanks! Yeah, retake is not an option. Pretty much my biggest concern is money since I'm looking to get a master's as well.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:33 am

kimeo wrote:I'm looking to get a master's as well.
now, why would you do that?

kimeo

New

Post by kimeo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:38 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
kimeo wrote:I'm looking to get a master's as well.
now, why would you do that?
I wanted to look into becoming a law librarian sometime down the road. I work at a law library right now and I enjoy it, so wanted to see how the job market would look for law librarians. This might all change once I get going on my JD, so will have to see.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:40 am

kimeo wrote: I wanted to look into becoming a law librarian sometime down the road. I work at a law library right now and I enjoy it, so wanted to see how the job market would look for law librarians. This might all change once I get going on my JD, so will have to see.
A law librarian? That sounds pretty awesome. 8)

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:45 am

How much total debt would you end up with at each school. I think it's better to look at those numbers. Also. Dre has some unusual hatred against Uci. I don't think it's that simple to choose usd. If u would end up paying less through col I think u should consider Uci also or retake.

kimeo

New

Post by kimeo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:09 am

eav1277 wrote:How much total debt would you end up with at each school. I think it's better to look at those numbers. Also. Dre has some unusual hatred against Uci. I don't think it's that simple to choose usd. If u would end up paying less through col I think u should consider Uci also or retake.
Thanks, I'm pretty anxious to just get going, but do you think it's worth it to retake? My debt after 3 years would amount to UCI (~65k), USD (~74k), Loyola (~90k), Hastings (~174k, ouch).

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:43 am

kimeo wrote:My debt after 3 years would amount to UCI (~65k), USD (~74k), Loyola (~90k), Hastings (~174k, ouch).
Even tho you would graduate with less debt from UCI; saving 9k does not warrant you to take it. Even if you got a full ride, you still shouldn't take it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:52 am

I would def consider a retake. U could either do June if u feel u could do better or October if u would want to take ur time and study all summer. I personally don't think Uci at ur price is a horrible risk esp if u have connections in irvine. Irvine will be a accredited. Whether they'll end up in the 20s where they'd like is very debatable. But I highly doubt it'll be a Ttttt like dre thinks. Usd does place well in sd from what I hear (not from the area so not sure how well). Also I think u should retake. It wouldn't hurt A June retake I could use for more $$$ or to reapply if it's high enough. Just think about it

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:54 am

U would only lose ur deposit if u do te June retake and end up reapplying next cycle

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:58 am

OP said retake is not an option. So, USD is currently her/his best choice. And even tho UCI will be accredited, you still don't want to go to that sewer.

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:02 am

Op later said anxious to get going but asked if a retake would be worth It. and a retake ESP in June would be worth it. He could still attend if he isnt happy with the retake or go elsewhere if he does significantly better. Replace he with she if a she. Lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:04 am

Retake is obviously the best option, but all things considered, USD is without a doubt the soundest choice.

Good Marshall

New

Post by Good Marshall » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:58 pm

kimeo wrote:
eav1277 wrote:How much total debt would you end up with at each school. I think it's better to look at those numbers. Also. Dre has some unusual hatred against Uci. I don't think it's that simple to choose usd. If u would end up paying less through col I think u should consider Uci also or retake.
Thanks, I'm pretty anxious to just get going, but do you think it's worth it to retake? My debt after 3 years would amount to UCI (~65k), USD (~74k), Loyola (~90k), Hastings (~174k, ouch).
While the TLS forum can provide one with valuable information, it should only be used to supplement your decision. If you can, go and visit each campus. Speak to as many current students as possible. It is a very important decision--one you shouldn't make based on rankings or projected debt and job prospects alone. A holistic approach is in order; that starts with a campus visit.

BTW, note the fact that I am nothing more than a 0L in considering my advice.

Good luck and congratulation. After all, there are literally tens of thousands of LSAT takers (many of whom never applied to a law school) who would love to be faced with your dilemma. Perspective: never lose it.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Good Marshall wrote:It is a very important decision--one you shouldn't make based on rankings or projected debt and job prospects alone. A holistic approach is in order; that starts with a campus visit.
Making a decision based on debt and job prospects actually sounds like a pretty good idea brah since the whole point of lawl skool is getting a job

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:10 pm

If you want to be a law librarian, then anything with more than 100k debt is a bad idea.

I'd probably choose UCI, mostly because it's the cheapest but also because it probably offers marginally better job prospects than Loyola or USD.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:35 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
kimeo wrote:My debt after 3 years would amount to UCI (~65k), USD (~74k), Loyola (~90k), Hastings (~174k, ouch).
Even tho you would graduate with less debt from UCI; saving 9k does not warrant you to take it. Even if you got a full ride, you still shouldn't take it.
This is a foolish and short-sighted analysis. USD and Loyola place only around 40-45% of their grads into full time, long term legal jobs. It's quite clear that all of USD/Loyola and UCI present risks. USD/Loyola present objectively bad job prospects. UCI presents the risk of unknown job prospects. The question is whether UCI is going to offer better job prospects than USD/Loyola. It might, it might not. My suspicion is that it will end up slightly better, but I think that taking the risk of UCI here is safer since there is at least a chance that its prospects are better than USD/Loyola. Plus there is money savings at least. In any case, it is most definitely not a slam dunk for USD/Loyola or vice versa.

OP, if I were you, I'd take UCI. It's risky, yes, but so are all the other schools on your list.

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:47 pm

I agree with UCI being safer esp since u said u have some Irvine ties already. Let's c wat Dre says when he comes around. lol

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:52 pm

Where's the "none of the above" option?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:23 pm

UCI over Davis and Hastings.

(this is assuming you get dinged at UCLA, USC).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Good Marshall

New

Post by Good Marshall » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:58 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Good Marshall wrote:It is a very important decision--one you shouldn't make based on rankings or projected debt and job prospects alone. A holistic approach is in order; that starts with a campus visit.
Making a decision based on debt and job prospects actually sounds like a pretty good idea brah since the whole point of lawl skool is getting a job
Not every law school student is immediately concerned with getting a job upon graduation. Admittedly, it is the principal concern of almost all law school students to attain gainful employment in the field of law as soon as (if not before) they graduate. Others, however, may wish to use their JD for other pursuits (i.e. nonprofit work, politics). Either way, I never suggested that employment prospects and debt should not be taken under consideration—only that such concerns are a portion of the overall factors one should use when deciding between seemingly similar institutions.

Good Marshall

New

Post by Good Marshall » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:00 pm

99.9luft wrote:UCI over Davis and Hastings.

Over Davis? Why?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:01 pm

Good Marshall wrote:
99.9luft wrote:UCI over Davis and Hastings.

Over Davis? Why?
OP wants SoCal, not NorCal.

Good Marshall

New

Post by Good Marshall » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:10 pm

kimeo wrote:
I almost forgot to add the most important piece of advice. Most scholarships ARE ONLY PROMISED FOR AS LONG AS YOU MEET ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS. You need to research what the requirements are to keep each scholarship and, if possible, how many students lose their scholarships because they were unable to meet the requirements for continued eligibility. (Credit: Professor Andrew J. McClurg)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”