UCI vs. Hastings vs. USD vs. Loyola LA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCI vs. Hastings vs. USD vs. Loyola LA

Loyola LA
2%
UC Hastings
22%
UC Irvine
63%
University of San Diego
12%

Total votes: 41

Good Marshall

New

Re: UCI vs. Hastings vs. USD vs. Loyola LA

Post by Good Marshall » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:11 pm

99.9luft wrote:
Good Marshall wrote:
99.9luft wrote:UCI over Davis and Hastings.

(this is assuming you get dinged at UCLA, USC).
Over Davis? Why?
OP wants SoCal, not NorCal.
Oh. Cool.

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Most UCI schollys are good academic standing. But def check OP

kimeo

New

Post by kimeo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:10 am

Thanks all for your input. I've pretty much narrowed down my options to UCI or USD, but I'm going up to visit Hastings next week just to be sure. I just visited USD a couple of days ago and thought the campus was very beautiful. I got a chance to speak with a couple of recent alumni, and they did mention that it was tough to find employment after graduation, even with USD alums dominating its county market.

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:25 am

UCI.

Smack dab between LA and SD to maximize job search. You have UCSD on your resume so you already have ties to SD.

Hastings...for SoCal? Take a read in some Hastings forums to tame that thought. They can't even get Bay Area jerbs.

Dre just hates UCI like a cat hates water.

OC legal climate is so much larger than SD. And the community is very supportive of UCI.

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:29 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:UCI.

Smack dab between LA and SD to maximize job search. You have UCSD on your resume so you already have ties to SD.

Hastings...for SoCal? Take a read in some Hastings forums to tame that thought. They can't even get Bay Area jerbs.

Dre just hates UCI like a cat hates water.

OC legal climate is so much larger than SD. And the community is very supportive of UCI.
The cat hates water part made me lol. Very true though

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:37 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
OC legal climate is so much larger than SD.
and over-saturated.

OP, i give up, it's your funeral

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:37 am

Good Marshall wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Good Marshall wrote:It is a very important decision--one you shouldn't make based on rankings or projected debt and job prospects alone. A holistic approach is in order; that starts with a campus visit.
Making a decision based on debt and job prospects actually sounds like a pretty good idea brah since the whole point of lawl skool is getting a job
Not every law school student is immediately concerned with getting a job upon graduation. Admittedly, it is the principal concern of almost all law school students to attain gainful employment in the field of law as soon as (if not before) they graduate. Others, however, may wish to use their JD for other pursuits (i.e. nonprofit work, politics). Either way, I never suggested that employment prospects and debt should not be taken under consideration—only that such concerns are a portion of the overall factors one should use when deciding between seemingly similar institutions.
If they're not concerned, they absolutely fucking should be.

It should probably be the only concern

LOL @ this "I'll just do politics" schtick

I bet the 50% of people without legal jobs from a place like USD have cool nonprofit jobs doe

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:14 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:
and over-saturated.
opposed to under saturated?

OC large firms hire hundreds every year because there IS a market
San Diego county hires what...maybe less than 50 SA positions for big firm work? And out of that 50 it's not like USD is top of the picking order unless you get super top grades.

UCI is new and uncertain...sure. But has done remarkably well in a short time. If the op goes now, by the time OP reaches OCI they will probably reach 140 enrolled looking at past data of admittance. They have added about 20 a year (only increased by a handful last year). So the doom and gloom of "WHEN they reach large classes it won't be possible to pull in favors like they are doing now" doesn't hold. Not now. USD has a federal clerkship rate of 2.5% thats 8 students. UCI is sending students to district and federal courts all over the country in better numbers, not just percentage.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... show=chars

Interesting stats:
1. 11 students got private practice or government jobs through OCI (10 and 1 respectively) So taking out those that got business(4), using 2013 class size of 330, makes USD OCI results a whopping 3.33% placement rate. (85% reporting rate)

If you don't know what hustle is...you will learn how if you go to USD.

Anecdotal evidence from UCI students is showing a lot of promise. Big firms are at UCI OCI and students are getting great 2A market paying positions. Boots on the ground intel but TLS doesn't care.

I'm just tired of seeing unwarranted UCI bashing. Everyone knows that Davis and Hastings are on the decline from their peak and students are upset. Look in the respective school forums. So hearing advice to go there instead of UCI, for SoCal, is dumb. Telling people to take on debt instead of taking full rides at UCI is beyond dumb. And San Diego is an extremely insular market. But the OP went to school at UCSD so it won't be critical to go to a San Diego law school. There is a lot of evidence that the past few classes of UCI are doing better than USD anyway.

just my $0.02. I'm just a 0L in SoCal though (and no not Irvine). If you ask me, if you know you want southern California and can't get into Berkley or Stanford, its UCLA > USC > UCI ITE.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:49 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote: I'm just a 0L in SoCal though (and no not Irvine). .
indeed

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
indeed
You are gonna have to defend your support of USD in light of that 3.3% OCI placement. My guess is that Irvine is placing at least 10%, but probably more like 25% given how small its classes are.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:55 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:
and over-saturated.
opposed to under saturated?

OC large firms hire hundreds every year because there IS a market
San Diego county hires what...maybe less than 50 SA positions for big firm work? And out of that 50 it's not like USD is top of the picking order unless you get super top grades.

UCI is new and uncertain...sure. But has done remarkably well in a short time. If the op goes now, by the time OP reaches OCI they will probably reach 140 enrolled looking at past data of admittance. They have added about 20 a year (only increased by a handful last year). So the doom and gloom of "WHEN they reach large classes it won't be possible to pull in favors like they are doing now" doesn't hold. Not now. USD has a federal clerkship rate of 2.5% thats 8 students. UCI is sending students to district and federal courts all over the country in better numbers, not just percentage.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... show=chars

Interesting stats:
1. 11 students got private practice or government jobs through OCI (10 and 1 respectively) So taking out those that got business(4), using 2013 class size of 330, makes USD OCI results a whopping 3.33% placement rate. (85% reporting rate)

If you don't know what hustle is...you will learn how if you go to USD.

Anecdotal evidence from UCI students is showing a lot of promise. Big firms are at UCI OCI and students are getting great 2A market paying positions. Boots on the ground intel but TLS doesn't care.

I'm just tired of seeing unwarranted UCI bashing. Everyone knows that Davis and Hastings are on the decline from their peak and students are upset. Look in the respective school forums. So hearing advice to go there instead of UCI, for SoCal, is dumb. Telling people to take on debt instead of taking full rides at UCI is beyond dumb. And San Diego is an extremely insular market. But the OP went to school at UCSD so it won't be critical to go to a San Diego law school. There is a lot of evidence that the past few classes of UCI are doing better than USD anyway.

just my $0.02. I'm just a 0L in SoCal though (and no not Irvine). If you ask me, if you know you want southern California and can't get into Berkley or Stanford, its UCLA > USC > UCI ITE.
Where are you getting that OC firms hire hundreds? I thought it was a lot less than that

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:56 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote: Where are you getting that OC firms hire hundreds? I thought it was a lot less than that
this.
rad lulz wrote:
I bet the 50% of people without legal jobs from a place like USD have cool nonprofit jobs doe

and this.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
indeed
You are gonna have to defend your support of USD in light of that 3.3% OCI placement. My guess is that Irvine is placing at least 10%, but probably more like 25% given how small its classes are.
About 20% if the info this thread is accurate

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p6460750

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Mick Haller wrote: My guess is that Irvine is placing....
yep

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
Mick Haller wrote: My guess is that Irvine is placing....
yep
Dude could you not detect rad lulz' sarcasm

Look at that UCI thread by people with actual information. Hastings and Davis are still putting up 10% OCI placement with much larger classes than UCI. Do you really expect UCI to be doing worse than them?

At any rate, UCI is cheaper than USD and almost certainly has a better OCI placement than USD's sub 4%. I think USD would be a decent option if it were free, but that's not the case for OP.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:40 pm

btw aren't there way more BigLaw offices in the OC than there are in SD?

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:36 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote: Where are you getting that OC firms hire hundreds? I thought it was a lot less than that
It wouldn't be hard to look up the bigger firms and add up the SA slots. Then add the mid law positions. Def more than a hundred, maybe less or slightly more than 200, but easily 4 times what SD provides.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:37 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
It wouldn't be hard to look up the bigger firms and add up the SA slots. Then add the mid law positions. Def more than a hundred, maybe less or slightly more than 200, but easily 4 times what SD provides.
Yeah that's about what I figured. Interested in this market since its my home so will probably do this during the week.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
Dude could you not detect rad lulz' sarcasm

he's not kiddin

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:28 pm

99.9luft wrote:btw aren't there way more BigLaw offices in the OC than there are in SD?
Don't call it that.

But yes.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:36 pm

mrizza wrote:
99.9luft wrote:btw aren't there way more BigLaw offices in the OC than there are in SD?
Don't call it that.

But yes.
deal, but you have to stop saying "cali"

:D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:54 pm

It's not "the OC" it is just "OC"

Also don't say "San Fran" or "Frisco" when in the bay. Call it "The City" or "San Francisco"

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:05 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:It's not "the OC" it is just "OC"

Also don't say "San Fran" or "Frisco" when in the bay. Call it "The City" or "San Francisco"
since we're making a list it seems, it is not "80 freeway" but "the 80 freeway" - commonly used incorrectly in the Bay Area

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:14 pm

99.9luft wrote:
mrizza wrote:
Don't call it that.

But yes.
deal, but you have to stop saying "cali"

:D
nooooooo

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:14 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:It's not "the OC" it is just "OC"
or orange county. Like:

B: "I live in Mission Viejo"