Which school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school

UVA with 90,000
33%
NYU- with 60,00
14%
Chicago with 60,000
50%
Columbia with none (emailed and they told me they won't match
3%

Total votes: 175

LRGhost

Re: Which school?

Postby LRGhost » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:19 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:Does going to UVA substantially increase the likelihood I can work in dc

Substantially? I don't know. It ought to increase the likelihood a non-negligible amount, though. That plus $30,000 more in scholarships should be a big factor. Try to negotiate more money if possible.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:19 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:I voted UVA because for me it would be between Chicago and UVA. UVA has a lower COL (even if marginally so), you will graduate with less debt and you QOL will be so much higher at UVA (UChi sucks at fun lol)

This is pretty stupid.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:23 pm

I really don't believe UVA will give you a better shot at working in DC than NYU will.

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:33 pm

Chicago

lawschoolboundfuture

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:38 pm

Why Chicago?

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:52 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:Why Chicago?

Well I think people should only choose NYU if they want NYC. And Chicago is significantly better than both UVA and NYU. Small class size and many students wanting chicago and ny so opportunities at DC firms should be robust.

90K at UVA is a great option, but IMO 60K at Chicago is better

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:54 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:I think Chicago is worth an extra 30K (+interest) over UVA. At UVA, you better be above median to feel safe. Uchi because of its slightly better placement and smaller class gives you a little more breathing room. Plus UVA's grading system and preselect OCI system suck and make it even more risky.

This.

lawschoolboundfuture

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Is Chicago really significantly better than nyu

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:07 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:Is Chicago really significantly better than nyu

No.

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:15 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

No.

In NYC, no, nationally, yes

Postby 005618502 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:15 pm

Dany wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:I voted UVA because for me it would be between Chicago and UVA. UVA has a lower COL (even if marginally so), you will graduate with less debt and you QOL will be so much higher at UVA (UChi sucks at fun lol)

This is pretty stupid.

No its not. I spent a week at UChi visiting a friend who is a law student there during my deferral year, that place is miserable. The saying "UChi is where fun goes to die" didnt come about for no reason.

I am not saying it is not a fantastic school, because it is and some people dont care about the culture, I did.

I will say that I like the way Chicago's OCI system is set up better than UVA though, and I think it helps people below median get biglaw a lot more than UVA's pre-select system.
Last edited by 005618502 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20141023 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:16 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:18 pm

No, that's not what I was saying.

Sorry your friend is lame and didn't show you a good time, but there are plenty of people who like to have fun at UChi, just like there are plenty of super nerdy UVA law students. Plus there are actually fun things to do in Chicago. The same kinds of students are choosing between the same top law schools - you're not going to have a complete blast at one and be miserable at another.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:19 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
Dany wrote:

This is pretty stupid.

No its not. I spent a week at UChi visiting a friend who is a law student there during my deferral year, that place is miserable. The saying "UChi is where fun goes to die" didnt come about for no reason.

I am not saying it is not a fantastic school, because it is and some people dont care about the culture, I did.

I think Dany was saying that it is dumb because if you are going to law school to have fun, then you are dumb.

I think at the level the OP is looking at ($$$ at UVA and $$ at Chicago) there is no wrong answer. If you dont think being happy and enjoying 3 years of your life is important you must be an 0L. My experience at UVA, in my opinion, really helped me do as well as I did academically. There is really the "work hard play hard" mentality here, and that is what I thrive under. Some people may feel differently, but I think its definitely something to consider when looking only at top schools.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:22 pm

Dany wrote:No, that's not what I was saying.

Sorry your friend is lame and didn't show you a good time, but there are plenty of people who like to have fun at UChi, just like there are plenty of super nerdy UVA law students. Plus there are actually fun things to do in Chicago. The same kinds of students are choosing between the same top law schools - you're not going to have a complete blast at one and be miserable at another.

You must go to Chicago lol

The demographic of people is noticeably different, and I think this is partially from self selection. I think my friend is a pretty cool guy (lmao, of course right). We did go to parties and stuff, I met a ton of people so that was good and everyone is very nice, no doubt about that. Everyone just seemed wound up a little tighter. I got more of a gunnerish vibe there, but maybe it was just my experience and others feel differently. But, again, being known as the one school where "fun goes to die" has to come from somewhere.... right?

All I am saying is make sure you visit both. I think some people dont think it is as important as it is

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:24 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:But, again, being known as the one school where "fun goes to die" has to come from somewhere.... right?

It comes from the undergraduate program.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 pm

The demographic of people is noticeably different, and I think this is partially from self selection. I think my friend is a pretty cool guy (lmao, of course right). We did go to parties and stuff, I met a ton of people so that was good and everyone is very nice, no doubt about that. Everyone just seemed wound up a little tighter. I got more of a gunnerish vibe there, but maybe it was just my experience and others feel differently. But, again, being known as the one school where "fun goes to die" has to come from somewhere.... right?

All I am saying is make sure you visit both. I think some people dont think it is as important as it is

I'm a 2L at Chicago. I don't really care if OP comes here or not. But the fun goes to die saying is about the undergrad, and I think it's pretty disingenuous to paint some top law schools as happy happy fun times and others as pits of doom, when really the students are all going to be pretty similar type-A overachievers who care about doing well, and all schools will still have people who love to go out and have a good time.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Dany wrote:

I'm a 2L at Chicago. I don't really care if OP comes here or not. But the fun goes to die saying is about the undergrad, and I think it's pretty disingenuous to paint some top law schools as happy happy fun times and others as pits of doom, when really the students are all going to be pretty similar type-A overachievers who care about doing well, and all schools will still have people who love to go out and have a good time.

Fair enough, I am glad you are enjoying your experience so far (even though you have not actually said that).

Postby 20141023 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Postby 005618502 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:49 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Dany wrote:I'm a 2L at Chicago. I don't really care if OP comes here or not. But the fun goes to die saying is about the undergrad, and I think it's pretty disingenuous to paint some top law schools as happy happy fun times and others as pits of doom, when really the students are all going to be pretty similar type-A overachievers who care about doing well, and all schools will still have people who love to go out and have a good time.

Even if Chicago was the school where "the fun goes to die," I still think that this is a dumb reason not go to there. If you want to have fun, there are plenty of options that are more fun than any law school will ever be (a cruise in the Bahamas, for example) - choose one of those options instead. If you want to improve your life, (wo)man-up and be ready to go to the institution that offers you the biggest return on your investment. Fuck fun. (Yes, I will be going to Chicago this fall. :lol: )

This is such a great 0L comment. You are right, happiness has nothing to do with improving ones life. One of these schools is really going to provide options much better than the other (not really). I am really glad you are contributing....

OP. Go to Chicago, fuck happiness. Its all about the next step. Then go to Cravath, because again, dont worry about happiness! its all about the name and success. Then you can bill 3000 hours a year. Do not go in house, that will kill your options for success, try to make partner at all costs, dont worry about happiness during this time, its all about the options! Then when you are 65 you can be rich and successful!

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:57 pm

jvincent11 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

No.

In NYC, no, nationally, yes

Significantly? No, I really don't think it is.

Postby 20141023 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:58 pm

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:04 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:Even if Chicago was the school where "the fun goes to die," I still think that this is a dumb reason not go to there. If you want to have fun, there are plenty of options that are more fun than any law school will ever be (a cruise in the Bahamas, for example) - choose one of those options instead. If you want to improve your life, (wo)man-up and be ready to go to the institution that offers you the biggest return on your investment. Fuck fun. (Yes, I will be going to Chicago this fall. :lol: )

This is such a great 0L comment. You are right, happiness has nothing to do with improving ones life. One of these schools is really going to provide options much better than the other (not really). I am really glad you are contributing....

OP. Go to Chicago, fuck happiness. Its all about the next step. Then go to Cravath, because again, dont worry about happiness! its all about the name and success. Then you can bill 3000 hours a year. Do not go in house, that will kill your options for success, try to make partner at all costs, dont worry about happiness during this time, its all about the options! Then when you are 65 you can be rich and successful!

Touché... However, what I am saying is that choosing a law school because it might make you slightly more happy for 3 years is retarded. A career will (hopefully) last dozens of years - why would you risk sacrificing it for just a few years of marginally-increased happiness?

Or, the happier you are with where you go, the less you have to worry about non-class shit, and the better you do.

Or it's a crapshoot anyway, so you may as well enjoy everything else.

Not that I subscribe to either of these views, but saying don't consider happiness is... hm.

And it sounds like you'll actually be very happy at UofC 8)

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:15 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:Even if Chicago was the school where "the fun goes to die," I still think that this is a dumb reason not go to there. If you want to have fun, there are plenty of options that are more fun than any law school will ever be (a cruise in the Bahamas, for example) - choose one of those options instead. If you want to improve your life, (wo)man-up and be ready to go to the institution that offers you the biggest return on your investment. Fuck fun. (Yes, I will be going to Chicago this fall. :lol: )

Touché... However, what I am saying is that choosing a law school because it might make you slightly more happy for 3 years is retarded. A career will (hopefully) last dozens of years - why would you risk sacrificing it for just a few years of marginally-increased happiness?

No offense Reg but I think since you'll probs be happy with the UChi stereotype there's possibly some cognitive dissonance going on here

Postby 20141023 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”