Which school? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school

UVA with 90,000
33%
NYU- with 60,00
14%
Chicago with 60,000
50%
Columbia with none (emailed and they told me they won't match
3%

Total votes: 175

Kronk

Diamond

Re: Which school?

Post by Kronk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Emma. wrote:
Kronk wrote:
lawschoolboundfuture wrote:What are the main differences between chicago and nyu
more PI support over summers
What's the summer stipend for PI at NYU?

OP, I'd say Chicago has a slight edge with firm hiring, especially some of the super preftigious firms and boutiques, probably a slight edge placing in academia and clerkships, and a lower cost of living. Apart from that you should really just visit and get a sense of both schools.
$4,500 first summer, $6,000 second summer. As for all the rest (minus COL), I find it all negligible. Chicago is a slightly better school, and I imagine you would probably never notice the difference if someone didn't tell you.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Emma. wrote:
Kronk wrote:
lawschoolboundfuture wrote:What are the main differences between chicago and nyu

OP, I'd say Chicago has a slight edge with firm hiring, especially some of the super preftigious firms and boutiques, probably a slight edge placing in academia and clerkships, and a lower cost of living. Apart from that you should really just visit and get a sense of both schools.
NYU put 10.9% into clerkships while UChi put 9.4% for c/o 2011. I'm too lazy to go find the stats from years past although I am sure that five or ten years ago UChi was definitely better, but I think NYU has closed the gap and is here to stay. They may be a percent or two apart in either direction in the future but I don't think it is a reason to choose one over the other. The only school(s) you can really reasonably go to on the basis of clerkship placement is Yale (Stanford?). Harvard is even only at like 16 or 17% although its ginormous student body does not help. I think NYU and UChi are about as peer as you can get but there are quality of life differences that may matter to you. If I were choosing between them, I'd be very torn because I like UChi's small student body, but my life is very NYC-centric, and I don't like UChi's weird grading system.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:08 pm

Kronk wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Kronk wrote:

$4,500 first summer, $6,000 second summer. As for all the rest (minus COL), I find it all negligible. Chicago is a slightly better school, and I imagine you would probably never notice the difference if someone didn't tell you.
I don't know what UChi provides for second summer, but it is $5K for 1L.

I definitely agree with you and somewhatwayward that the differences in things like firm placement & national reach are pretty slight, but I think even small differences can add up. They are certainly peer schools though.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:13 pm

Emma. wrote:I don't know what UChi provides for second summer
$0.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Kronk wrote:
Emma. wrote:I don't know what UChi provides for second summer
$0.
Oh, snap. I do know that at least some 2L students doing PI get stipends from the student-run Chicago Law Foundation though

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:25 pm

From Chicago's website:
Guaranteed Funding for Students Engaged in Summer Public Interest Work

The Law School is committed to supporting a range of summer public interest employment opportunities and provides a guaranteed summer funding award of $5,000 to any Chicago law student who chooses to work in a public interest law position during the summer. Students are eligible for this stipend during the summer after their first year, or the summer after their second year, or both. Eligible summer public interest positions include not only work for non-profit legal aid and advocacy organizations and policy groups, but also federal, state and local governmental legal positions, and international human rights organizations and other law-based NGOs.

First-year students must work in eligible nonprofit or government law positions for at least eight weeks of their first-year summer, and second-year students must work in eligible positions for ten weeks of their second-year summer. Participants in this program may also earn up to $500 per week from other external (non-Law School) funding sources during the course of their summers.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:26 pm

My b, guess they've changed since when I was applying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”