T14 or T20-50 (Not Big Law)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mdrunner165

T14 or T20-50 (Not Big Law)

Postby mdrunner165 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:13 pm

Currently in the beginning of my law school search. I see a bunch of posts on here about T14 or bust. While I would love to go to a school like Penn or Cornell, I realize that I'd probably end up paying sticker. As someone who doesn't have much desire to do big law, what's the opinion on going to a T20-T50 school like UMD, WM, or GMU? I may want to do PI or work for a smaller firm in Maryland. Would it be better to go to a regional school on a scholly then taking out loans for a T14?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Re: T14 or T20-50 (Not Big Law)

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Yes. If all you need is to get from point A to point B, no need to pay for the Lamborghini.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Yes. If all you need is to get from point A to point B, no need to pay for the Lamborghini.

+1

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:30 pm

mdrunner165 wrote:Currently in the beginning of my law school search. I see a bunch of posts on here about T14 or bust. While I would love to go to a school like Penn or Cornell, I realize that I'd probably end up paying sticker. As someone who doesn't have much desire to do big law, what's the opinion on going to a T20-T50 school like UMD, WM, or GMU? I may want to do PI or work for a smaller firm in Maryland. Would it be better to go to a regional school on a scholly then taking out loans for a T14?

Yes but it's gotta be a real scholarship. I wouldn't borrow more than $50,000 or so.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:09 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
mdrunner165 wrote:Currently in the beginning of my law school search. I see a bunch of posts on here about T14 or bust. While I would love to go to a school like Penn or Cornell, I realize that I'd probably end up paying sticker. As someone who doesn't have much desire to do big law, what's the opinion on going to a T20-T50 school like UMD, WM, or GMU? I may want to do PI or work for a smaller firm in Maryland. Would it be better to go to a regional school on a scholly then taking out loans for a T14?

Yes but it's gotta be a real scholarship. I wouldn't borrow more than $50,000 or so.

Also bear in mind stipulations. If you have to be in the top 1/3, that should strongly impact your decision. Just because you could have gone to a better school, don't assume you'll outperform the rest of your class at your regional school.

I can't personally find justification for passing up on T14 if given the opportunity without substantial financial motivation. Think long and hard about whether saving the money now is worth giving up the 160k later. If you want to work in your sleepy hometown, then that's up to you, and I wish you best of luck! Just remember that it's easier to do T14 and decide you want to get a less competitive job then wake up one day as a 3L and decide you want Biglaw after all.

I'm sure you'll make the decision that's best for you. I reiterate, however, bear in mind the stipulations.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”