. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rahviveh

Gold

Re: Thinking about not going - TCR?

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:06 pm

rad lulz wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
romothesavior wrote: There is a small handful of schools arguably still worth sticker, but if you can get into them, you can probably get into a slightly lower ranked school with a big scholly. A good friend of mine from undergrad is in at Chicago but has a full ride to UVA. I think he'd be crazy to turn down the full ride.
The bolded is not true, especially for splitters.
Frankly, many splitters ought to seriously consider not going at all
Hence the thread :lol:

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
romothesavior wrote: There is a small handful of schools arguably still worth sticker, but if you can get into them, you can probably get into a slightly lower ranked school with a big scholly. A good friend of mine from undergrad is in at Chicago but has a full ride to UVA. I think he'd be crazy to turn down the full ride.
This. Law school ain't for everyone.

And actually, what I said is true because the only schools I think are arguably worth sticker are HYS and maybe CCN and maybe one or two other schools. A splitter with a terrible GPA ain't cracking T6 land absent some truly solid resume stuff. And if you can get into these schools, you can get a scholarship somewhere in the T14.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
This. Law school ain't for everyone.

And actually, what I said is true because the only schools I think are arguably worth sticker are HYS and maybe CCN and maybe one or two other schools. A splitter with a terrible GPA ain't cracking T6 land absent some truly solid resume stuff. And if you can get into these schools, you can get a scholarship somewhere in the T14.
A scholly - yes (although in some cases even that's not a guarantee). You said a big scholly in your OP, and it depends on your definition of that, but there's a lot of people getting into CCN and not getting half tuition or more in scholarships like with your example.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:08 pm

rad lulz wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:You are right that they don't get the same respect, but the reason is that we are fighting some serious delusion on this board. I don't agree with doing it in a flippant way and I generally try to reason rather than just be dismissive.
You always write these really great long responses. I think I need to write some template ones and just fill them in.
Thanks, well I'm glad they are useful to someone even if it is someone that doesn't need much convincing. I have thought about making one thread in the TLS Blogs forum or the content contest forum where I pasted all the stuff I have written that I liked on the decision to go to law school (not that I am saying anything special, but I have said a lot).

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Last edited by Crowing on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:32 pm

In the end, we're all going to end up in a crapload of debt regardless of what we do or where we go. Just seems to be the nature of the world right now.

Just my slightly depressing observation, but it seems fair. Law school isn't what it used to be. Jobs are hard to find. All the college degree and up markets are over-saturated. We are entering the start of an era without the nice cushy jobs and all that.

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:33 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:In the end, we're all going to end up in a crapload of debt regardless of what we do or where we go. Just seems to be the nature of the world right now.

Just my slightly depressing observation, but it seems fair. Law school isn't what it used to be. Jobs are hard to find. All the college degree and up markets are over-saturated. We are entering the start of an era without the nice cushy jobs and all that.
No?

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:35 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:In the end, we're all going to end up in a crapload of debt regardless of what we do or where we go. Just seems to be the nature of the world right now.

No?
Well, maybe that was a bit of an overstatement, but, I dunno, I just look at the markets, I look how expensive everything is (scholarships only go so far), just seems kinda hard to avoid heavy debt right now.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:45 pm

This is not true. Full rides are available to people like the OP. COL is $20-30k per year, which can be offset to some degree by summer firm employment, part time LSAT tutoring/similar work. The difference between total attendance cost of $40k or $180k is really really different.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:COL is $20-30k per year.
Lay off the Cristal, dooder.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”