Irvine full scholarship or Berkeley no scholarship

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCI full ride or UCB no money?

UCI
30%
UCB
70%

Total votes: 150

eav1277

Re: Irvine full scholarship or Berkeley no scholarship

Postby eav1277 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
Dmini7 wrote: Anyhow, I really am curious as to why you hate UCI so much.

for many reasons, like, why would you build a new law school when we have such a shitty economy? and this

Did the link work for everyone? I can't open it on my iphone

peeonyou

Postby peeonyou » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 pm

not bad to be direct. can be bad in some social situations. will be bad in law school, if he doesn't learn to consider things objectively more. though, he did do well on the LSAT which would require calculated thinking so he doesn't seem to think how he communicates.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:50 pm

eav1277 wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

for many reasons, like, why would you build a new law school when we have such a shitty economy? and this

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=ps ... 80&bih=628

first link

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:03 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
eav1277 wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

first link

It did raise some good points, unfortunately, some of the strongest points are no longer relevant as in the past 3 years the school has calmed any fears about the ABA, and the inability to get jobs( we will not know the latter for sure until they are released in the coming weeks). I do agree the lack of an alumni base is a fear, and I actually think it is the biggest issue with the school. Tuition is another issue, especially for out of state kids, but it is pretty much the same price everywhere. I think we can all agree they were too ambitious with the top 20 thoughts, but I think it is reasonable to admit they will be ahead of Pepperdine and Loyola in quality. Personally, I think once they are ranked TLS will not hate on UCI anymore(or at least no more than they do any school that isnt T18). Anyhow, I was hoping you would have had something new to offer to the rationale behind the hate :/. I am just trying to absorb all the information relevant towards my final decision, so thank you for providing me with the link.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
eav1277 wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

first link

And TTTo think we forgot about Dre?

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:09 pm

peeonyou wrote:not bad to be direct. can be bad in some social situations. will be bad in law school, if he doesn't learn to consider things objectively more. though, he did do well on the LSAT which would require calculated thinking so he doesn't seem to think how he communicates.

Agree.
This is something that many TLSers don't understand. There is a big difference in being heard and being listened to. If your objective is to be heard, then by all means continue to be blunt and rude and not provide substantive arguments. However, if your goal is to be listened to, to positively influence the decisions people on these boards are making, then you should really fine tune your approach.
I'm not saying that people's ignorance needs to be met with smiles and rainbows, but you have to understand that very few people outside of prison respond to aggression, especially when it contradicts what they want to believe. Often times, the way you (not just Dre but many others on TLS) present your arguments, it seems like they're coming from a place of spite or anger instead of facts and data (as we, more often than not, know them to be). If you don't have the time or energy to construct such a post, then please don't post at all.
Lastly, whether it's an online forum or a meaningful conversation, politeness and manners will never be considered out of style. Excuse my rambling, but it we want to educate people and prevent them from making poor decisions we can not and should not do so without civility.

Golden Bear 11

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:11 pm

You're a URM with a 3.7 and 166. I might be wrong but you should have some better options than Berk at sticker v. Irvine....

right?

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:14 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:You're a URM with a 3.7 and 166. I might be wrong but you should have some better options than Berk at sticker v. Irvine....

right?

Totally true. What type of URM?

Golden Bear 11

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:16 pm

I think UCLA WL you just to yield protect. Write a LOCI and you'll probably get some good $$$ from them

setareh12

Postby setareh12 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:19 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:You're a URM with a 3.7 and 166. I might be wrong but you should have some better options than Berk at sticker v. Irvine....

right?

I think my mistake was not applying early enough, I haven't heard back from a lot of the good schools that I applied to yet (USC, cornell, duke, nyu, stanford, vanderbilt...) . i was wait listed at UCLA but I went there for undergrad and everyone said they're a little reluctant when it comes to admitting students from their undergrads. So you think if I wait a few more weeks I'll hear back from one of these better schools?

setareh12

Postby setareh12 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:22 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:

right?

Maybe I'm not even considered an URM... I'm persian which for some stupid reason is considered caucasian so on the applications I didn't select anything under ethnicity but I was born in Iran and my parent's income were really low growing up so I figured they would consider that to be an URM?

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:24 pm

setareh12 wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:

right?

Maybe I'm not even considered an URM... I'm persian which for some stupid reason is considered caucasian so on the applications I didn't select anything under ethnicity but I was born in Iran and my parent's income were really low growing up so I figured they would consider that to be an URM?

Yeah no URM boost. Did you write a Diversity statement atleast? Not being a URM changes everything, I think you may still get in at Cornell though.

setareh12

Postby setareh12 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:I think UCLA WL you just to yield protect. Write a LOCI and you'll probably get some good $$$ from them

Oh wow I didn't even think about that, k thanks definitely gonna do that now. Would it be smart then to use any money UCLA gives me (if they accept me) to negotiate with Berkeley or is that too much of a reach?

setareh12

Postby setareh12 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:28 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
setareh12 wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:

right?

Yeah no URM boost. Did you write a Diversity statement atleast? Not being a URM changes everything, I think you may still get in at Cornell though.

damn... it really sucks that ethnicity is a factor with admission cause I was probably more underprivileged than a lot of other ethnic minorities but yea I did write a diversity statement which I felt pretty good about

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:28 pm

congrats on your schollys: Dimini7
Last edited by Dr. Dre on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:29 pm

Unfortunately, that's not considered a URM. I wouldn't expect the normal boost given to those considered URM in the traditional sense (AA, NA and MA), but the fact that you have Berkeley in your pocket bodes well for you. They are generally considered the most holistic of the non-HYS, so if you managed an acceptance there, it might be your best option. I won't ever tell you to pick an education that could cost upward of $250k with a 60-70% chance of desirable employment, but picking between the two you have listed (and discounting any other potential acceptances), Berkeley is the CLEAR choice. It's not a magical ticket to a better life, but it's at least a more reliable engine to get you down the freeway to possibly a better life.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:46 pm

I would probably take UCI. Almost $300 thousand is debt for a coin flip's chance at a job required to pay it off is scary as hell. You may never get a legal job from UCI, but at least you don't have the debt.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 pm

Tom Joad wrote:You may never get a legal job from UCI

if i had the debt, i would NOT buy anything fancy; i would live in a cardboard box, eat top ramen and only drink water, ride a bike to work, get a girlfriend that will help support me....at least I MAY have a shot at a decent job with Berk...i don't mind the debt, growing up in the shithole projects made me strategize & find ways to save $$$. Plus, waking up with the fact that I attended TTTT uc irvine and with NO job (even tho with no debt) will be very depressing...sure graduating from Berk with shiTTTon of debt will be depressing too, but at least I will prob have a job & prob alumni support....I don't mind the wager, you flip a coin every day in the hood
Last edited by Dr. Dre on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:55 pm

How much debt at berkeley would you say makes it the better choice? So far u have been the only one to take uci. I'm more on the fence. Berkeley def has the name but the debt would def be a bit scary

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:58 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:You may never get a legal job from UCI

if i had the debt, i would NOT buy anything fancy; i would live in a cardboard box, eat top ramen and only drink water, ride a bike to work, get a girlfriend that will help support me....at least I MAY have a shot at a decent job with Berk...i don't mind the debt, growing up in the shithole projects made me strategize & find ways to save $$$. Plus, waking up with the fact that I attended TTTT uc irvine and with now job (even tho with no debt) will be very depressing...sure graduating from Berk with shiTTTon of debt will be depressing too, but at least I will prob have a job....

Wat gf would u get if all u eat is ramen?

N she could walk away from law and find another job. U can't walk away from 300 k debt. I'm not saying it's not worth the risk. But it's def a risk that she should think about before committing to berk

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:00 am

the gf would not go to law school. Ideally, she would work a mediocre 9 to 5 job.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:00 am

eav1277 wrote:How much debt at berkeley would you say makes it the better choice? So far u have been the only one to take uci. I'm more on the fence. Berkeley def has the name but the debt would def be a bit scary

Everybody is different, but I wouldn't be comfortable taking on much over $100 K in debt for the lower T14. I don't think there is a clear cut answer here, but I don't think OP should summarily dismiss his other options including the other CA lower ranked schools he got into. A huge reason people on TLS are obsessed with biglaw is because you need it when you have that kind of debt. But if you don't have that kind of debt, you just need a job. And anything else is gravy.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:05 am

eav1277 wrote:
Wat gf would u get if all u eat is ramen?

not a quality one, but that doesn't matter. I just want the support and (food + shelter).

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:05 am

Just curious. How much debt would u be comfortable with at ucla/usc? Just curious. Op is on the wait list at ucla and I think waiting on sc. I am also considering sc. I'd be graduating with 75k of debt or less. But I also have a uci full offer

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:06 am

matthewsean85 wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
peeonyou wrote:i think it's more realistic to slot them b/wusc and hastings and University of Maine Law.

Damn Dre, you might hate UCI more than Rad hates pretty much everywhere.

lol

Don't go to UCI. It's too much of an unknown.

In state sticker for Berk is just insane too.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”