Irvine full scholarship or Berkeley no scholarship

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCI full ride or UCB no money?

UCI
30%
UCB
70%

Total votes: 150

99.9luft

Re: Irvine full scholarship or Berkeley no scholarship

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:40 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=204427

The guy said he was a 2L,but maybe he was talking about c/o 2013.

Also, accounting for traffic, the time saved travelling between UCD/SF and UCI/LA isn't THAT big lol

But I agree UCI's housing is nicer, based on what I've heard.

so i remember that post...one thing is that only 30-40 participated in OCI and 14 got SA positons that's 35%+
How many ppl participate at OCI at Davis/Hastings, do you know? Just basing it off the total # of ppl in the class isn't always fair because schools like UCI may contain more PI-oriented kids than those at other schools, hence less of them partake in OCI.

ETA: also, at the actual time ppl go out (after 10pm) there isn't much traffic. Also, UCI students have another traveling destination - San Diego. Hastings kids do have Napa, though.
Last edited by 99.9luft on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:43 pm

99.9luft wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:

Also, accounting for traffic, the time saved travelling between UCD/SF and UCI/LA isn't THAT big lol

so i remember that post...one thing is that only 30-40 participated in OCI and 14 got SA positons that's 35%+
How many ppl participate at OCI at Davis/Hastings, do you know? Just basing it off the total # of ppl in the class isn't always fair because schools like UCI may be more PI-oriented than those at other schools, hence less of them partake in OCI.

I've heard Hastings is around 50% from a student, but I can't confirm that. From what I understand, participation rates are lower at regional schools since OCI is usually pre-select and only top performers are competitive.

I don't know about Davis.

But I don't see any reason to believe UCI students are more PI-oriented than UCD/UCH.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:45 pm

99.9luft wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:

How many ppl participate at OCI at Davis/Hastings, do you know? Just basing it off the total # of ppl in the class isn't always fair because schools like UCI may contain more PI-oriented kids than those at other schools, hence less of them partake in OCI.

ETA: also, at the actual time ppl go out (after 10pm) there isn't much traffic. Also, UCI students have another traveling destination - San Diego. Hastings kids do have Napa, though.

Point taken. Irvine is just a sad, soulless place to be IMO lol. But I have no beef with the law school.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:47 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Point taken. Irvine is just a sad, soulless place to be IMO lol. But I have no beef with the law school.

hahahaha, you sound like someone who's grown up around that area...

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:49 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:I've heard Hastings is around 50% from a student, but I can't confirm that. From what I understand, participation rates are lower at regional schools since OCI is usually pre-select and only top performers are competitive.

But I don't see any reason to believe UCI students are more PI-oriented than UCD/UCH.

interesting...i will try to find out re participants at those schools.

UCI is really pushing for the PI stuff from what i hear from the current students. I haven't heard/read the same amount of buzz from the other two schools, but that may be attributed to UCI's newness/better marketing.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:52 pm

99.9luft wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Point taken. Irvine is just a sad, soulless place to be IMO lol. But I have no beef with the law school.

Yeah which is why I have a hard time believing PI do-gooder folks are flocking to Orange County.

We'll see I guess.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:54 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
99.9luft wrote:

Yeah which is why I have a hard time believing PI do-gooder folks are flocking to Orange County.

We'll see I guess.

Probably easier to want to do PI when they were giving out all those full-schollys too right?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:54 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Better location is subjective. Irvine sucks man.

It's boring, cost of housing is expensive, and doesn't have a college town feel like uc davis. But uc davis still is lame, just not as much as uci.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:57 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:

It's boring, cost of housing is expensive, and doesn't have a college town feel like uc davis. But uc davis still is lame, just not as much as uci.

I hate you so much :lol:

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:09 pm

PDaddy wrote:I already forgot about you. I guess that makes you Mr. IrrelevanTTTT :wink:

you forgot about Dre?

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:52 am

99.9luft wrote:
So let's recap the numbers for the inaugural class (correct me please):
56 total
~30 do OCI
13 get NLJ20 offers
53 get FT legal (is this JD-required or JD-preferred?) jobs

this is really good. UCI2013, I am assuming you are from the 2nd UCI class. Not sure if i asked you this... I heard that of 89 total in your class ~24 got offers at OCI (of 40 who participated). Does that sound right (ball-park).

Interesting...if this inaugural trend hold up for a class of 89 ppl, i certainly think it can be attainable for a class of 119 and this year's (120-130).

thanks again for clarifying this!

I am not sure on the JD-required vs JD-preferred part. I don't know anyone with a JD preferred position, but I certainly do not know where all the class placed. I think our class has at least a couple of people who have decided they do not like law, so I wouldn't be surprised if we have a few where a JD is not required.

Yes, I am part of the 2nd class and your numbers seem about right. I would say ~40-45 participated in OCI give or take a few. And about 24 receiving SA offers seems right as well. It might be worth noting that Berkeley is placing in the upper 70 percentiles. Not sure why that is as I would have expected higher from them.

I am not sure how sustainable the numbers are - there are a couple of things that would go into that. First, there are only so many SA spots in the So Cal area. A lot of firms only hire 1-2 SAs for LA or OC. So in that regard, as the class increases you could see a smaller percent receiving offers. On the other hand, the number of firms recruiting from Irvine is increasing. So as more firms consider UCI students, you can expect to see an increase in placement. And I suspect the geographical reach of our OCI will improve as well. So in that regard, you can eliminate some or all of the decrease in OCI placement percentages by increasing the number of firm options. So I really don't know how to weigh those two considerations.

I've heard a lot about employers being impressed with the work of our students. We have a strong legal writing program, and I think that makes a difference. This is something many on hear might scoff at, but I think it is very important. I feel I was very well prepared to do legal writing from our lawyering skills class. And the lawyering skills professors here are FT tenure track professors. It is a graded class as well. For some that would be a negative. Lawyering skills, is, no doubt, a lot of work. But to me it helps set UCI apart from its peers and positions us better to impress when we are doing internships, externships and pro bono work.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:59 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Better location is subjective. Irvine sucks man.

Anyways, sfhaze was specifically discussing placement, not rankings (because rankings don't really matter).

From another thread re: c/o 2014 with 85 students, about 16% got firm offers out of OCI, and half the the students participating.

Adjusting for future, bigger class sizes - that's very similar to UCD/UCH placement.

location IS subjective, of course. UCI's law student housing - where most students live and which is guaranteed - is much nicer than the living situation near UCH/UCD. Also, UCI is closer to LA than UCD is to SF (for social outings, etc).

Wait, you mean class of 2013 with 85 students, right? class of 2014 has 89...

i swear it was higher than 16% in this thread i read...do you mind pointing me to your 16%?

ChaseInk is a current 2L. I don't know as much about their class's placement. OCI does have more than just biglaw interviewing, and students get placements outside of OCI. It also looks like their class had fewer participate in OCI than our class - and that seems right given the feel of the class. They seem more PI minded than ours. It will be interesting to see the next OCI results because I think CO 2015 is less PI-minded than 2014, at least based on my anecdotal observations.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:

How many ppl participate at OCI at Davis/Hastings, do you know? Just basing it off the total # of ppl in the class isn't always fair because schools like UCI may be more PI-oriented than those at other schools, hence less of them partake in OCI.

I've heard Hastings is around 50% from a student, but I can't confirm that. From what I understand, participation rates are lower at regional schools since OCI is usually pre-select and only top performers are competitive.

Oh, UCI doesn't do preselect either. There are plusses and minusses to this. I could do a whole thread on bidding strategies for OCI generally. But if you have a very high GPA this system can hurt you, and if you are on the low end of GPAs participating and you don't bid intelligently you could be wasting your time. At least with a high GPA you can take advantage of visiting hospitality suites and dropping off a resume and talking to recruiting staff there.

As for PI, we had universal scholarships. I think UCI is still being pretty generous with scholarship offers. And we now have a LRAP in place. So that should be attractive to PI candidates. Plus we get to do some pretty awesome pro bono work in my opinion, and we start doing pro bono as a 1L.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:36 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:

wtf? irvine is way better than davis. davis has nothing. at least uci has a pub on campus and it's not a far drive from LA, SD, several beaches, etc.

yeslekkkk

Postby yeslekkkk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:52 am

Lasers wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:

wtf? irvine is way better than davis. davis has nothing. at least uci has a pub on campus and it's not a far drive from LA, SD, several beaches, etc.

Davis also has a pub on campus, so I don't know why that's a selling factor. I do agree with several people who have posted about how Irvine is not that great. I went and visited the law school. The law school was okay. I just get a feeling of anger while being in Irvine. I just wouldn't be able to survive three years of attending classes in the city of Irvine (EVEN IF I lived in some other surrounding area). I always wonder why I decided to drive outside of San Diego County once I'm on the other side of Camp Pendleton.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Save $135,000 and go to Irvine. The statistics are going to be comperable

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:45 pm

What happened to no sticker except for HYS?

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Stupid necro. Dumber response.

John, for the love of God, just stop.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:20 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:Stupid necro. Dumber response.

John, for the love of God, just stop.

check the poll

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Don't necro choices threads where the OP has long ago made their decision.

(And the poll overwhelmingly says to go to Berkeley.)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”