Irvine full scholarship or Berkeley no scholarship

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCI full ride or UCB no money?

UCI
30%
UCB
70%

Total votes: 150

setareh12

Irvine full scholarship or Berkeley no scholarship

Postby setareh12 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:44 pm

I know that UCI law is so new that it has not been ranked yet but I've been hearing some good things about them: the bar passage rate was better than UC Berkeley's for class of 2012 and they placed so many grads into judicial clerkships.

I would like to practice law in Southern CA and UCI is giving me a $45k merit scholarship (I'll probably be getting some grants from the gov as well because my family income is below poverty). so this is all kinda making me lean toward UCI.

UC Berkeley isn't giving me a merit scholarship but I haven't called to negotiate because I don't even know if I should. They have a need based grant which is up to $23k so if I receive that I'll still have to take out a lot of money for loans.
I don't have any loans from undergrad (UCLA gave me a full ride for undergrad) but the idea of a huge loan is scary... I don't really know what type of law I want to do yet but do you guys think that the employment prospects are so much better for Berkeley grads that I should take up the loan and go there instead of going to UCI for free?

PLEASE help me and thank you!
Last edited by setareh12 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UtilityMonster

Re: Irvine full scholarship or Berkeley no scholarship

Postby UtilityMonster » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Berkeley will laugh if you try to negotiate using a UCI scholarship, although I see no real harm in trying.

Go to Berkeley regardless.

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:49 pm

Any other offers you could use to negotiate with?

setareh12

Postby setareh12 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:58 pm

K Rock wrote:Any other offers you could use to negotiate with?

No not yet at least, I got a full ride from the not so great schools... Loyola, San Diego, Chapman. Got wait listed for UCLA, still waiting to hear from USC, Vanderbilt, Stanford, cornell, and NYU, but at this point I have a strong feeling I'll either be wait listed or rejected from these schools since its taking them so long to decide :/

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:01 pm

don't go to TTTT you see irvine

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:don't go to TTTT you see irvine

I think TTTT is definitely a stretch. I'm choosing between a full at uci and half at usc. So I understand how the debt makes you nervous. I also go to ucla for undergrad. I think berkeley is the right decision but ultimately it's up to you.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:07 pm

eav1277 wrote:

I think TTTT is definitely a stretch. I'm choosing between a full at uci and half at usc. So I understand how the debt makes you nervous. I also go to ucla for undergrad. I think berkeley is the right decision but ultimately it's up to you.

go to usc, OP, go to cal

setareh12

Postby setareh12 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:15 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
eav1277 wrote:

go to usc, OP, go to cal

U don't think there's a good chance UCI could end up in the top 20 once they're ranked in a few years? i wish there was a sure way to know I've just heard so many mixed opinions

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:16 pm

setareh12 wrote:U don't think there's a good chance UCI could end up in the top 20 once they're ranked in a few years?

NO.

peeonyou

Postby peeonyou » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:16 pm

setareh12 wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:
eav1277 wrote:

go to usc, OP, go to cal

U don't think there's a good chance UCI could end up in the top 20 once they're ranked in a few years? i wish there was a sure way to know I've just heard so many mixed opinions

i think it's more realistic to slot them b/w usc and hastings.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:19 pm

peeonyou wrote:i think it's more realistic to slot them b/wusc and hastings and University of Maine Law.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
peeonyou wrote:i think it's more realistic to slot them b/wusc and hastings and University of Maine Law.

Damn Dre, you might hate UCI more than Rad hates pretty much everywhere.

peeonyou

Postby peeonyou » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:31 pm

dre seems to:

1.) be from california
2.) have a lot of anger in him.
3.) think he's already right.

he is generally correct, but should probably work on being less dismissive of everything.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:31 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:

I just care for the well-being of others

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:33 pm

Idk about top 20 but I think they can definitely get into the 20s. There are a lot of uci haters on here. I don't think uci is perfect but I think it gets a lot more flack than it should. I understand usc and berkeley have better numbers but I think at full it's not as horrible an option as many make it out to be.

I didn't get into berkeley. I prob would have turned down uci full for berkeley at sticker. But any school at sticker is scary. I think a lot of ppl don't realize how horrible having that kind of debt can be. I'm not saying sticker at a t14 is a bad idea. Prob never a great idea though (unless it's hys or ccn possibly MVP)

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:34 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

True. Lol

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:34 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:

This is a HUGE stretch. Anyway, OP Boalt is the right choice hands down. I don't think UCI will break top 20 but I can't attest to their future employment numbers.

Boalt at sticker vs UCI fullride is a no brainer.

Take Boalt everytime. Hell Id take Boalt at sticker over a fullride to UCLA...nah jkjk.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:

I just care for the well-being of others

And I don't disagree with your assumptions on UCI in the least. Dean Chemerinsky's good graces will run out soon enough, at which point, UCI will probably fall into the Hastings/Davis/USD/Loyola/Pepperdine quagmire that already exists in Southern California and California throughout. I was just stating that you voice your opinion on the California schools probably more than anyone else on TLS. It's commendable (because you're not wrong), but still pretty funny.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:36 pm

eav1277 wrote: I prob would have turned down uci full for berkeley at sticker.

--ImageRemoved--

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:39 pm

I wouldn't go as far as saying Dre cares, its more or less he doesn't know how to communicate to people without coming off blunt. What are your numbers though? Dre has an unfounded hatred towards UCI. He has never once explained why, but I would really love to hear his reasoning. I am genuinely interested in why he is he so passionately against UCI.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Dmini7 wrote: he doesn't know how to communicate to people without coming off blunt.

i'm autistic, so it's hard for me not to be blunt

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
Dmini7 wrote: he doesn't know how to communicate to people without coming off blunt.

I remember you mentioning that in another post. I did not mean it in a negative sense. Everyone on online forums is pretty aggressive. Anyhow, I really am curious as to why you hate UCI so much.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:44 pm

Dmini7 wrote: Anyhow, I really am curious as to why you hate UCI so much.

for many reasons, like, why would you build a new law school when we have such a shitty economy? and this

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

I remember you mentioning that in another post. I did not mean it in a negative sense. Everyone on online forums is pretty aggressive. Anyhow, I really am curious as to why you hate UCI so much.

Also interested. Dr dre where in Ca r u from? (SoCal NorCal?). And dre is pretty direct. That's not a bad thing though. Pretty harsh on uci to say the least. Lol.

setareh12

Postby setareh12 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Dmini7 wrote:I wouldn't go as far as saying Dre cares, its more or less he doesn't know how to communicate to people without coming off blunt. What are your numbers though? Dre has an unfounded hatred towards UCI. He has never once explained why, but I would really love to hear his reasoning. I am genuinely interested in why he is he so passionately against UCI.

166 and 3.7, I think it was my personal statement that won Berkeley over.
Yea I really want to know the reasoning behind that too, I'm just comparing the statistics of UCI to other top schools and they seem to be doing so good but maybe it'll only last for a little while

Return to “Choosing a Law School”