Cornell (150K) v Virginia (60K) v NYU (40/5K)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
smashingrobface

Cornell (150K) v Virginia (60K) v NYU (40/5K)

Postby smashingrobface » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:26 am

Hey crew.

I'm in right now at Cornell, UVA, and NYU, waiting on Northwestern and Chicago, and riding waitlists at Harvard, Columbia, Duke, and Penn.

If by some miracle Harvard comes calling, I'll be there. I'd have to consider Columbia, too. I don't want to count on either, though, so any advice on choosing between the following would be much appreciated:

$150,000 at Cornell
$60,000 at UVA
$40,000 (45K if public interest, which I probably will) at NYU

I'd like to work in criminal law, and as a current NYC resident I'd be quite happy settling in here after law school. I'm from the Southeast, however, and living in the city has made me appreciate the South's slower pace and cheaper COL, so despite my reservations about UVA's school-funded job rate, I'm still considering them (anyone have a rough estimate of the COL savings of UVA vs NYU? Maybe $15K total over three years?).

Obviously, Cornell makes the most financial sense. UVA offers what seems like the strongest possibility of working in the Southeast. NYU's sweet LRAP and strong public interest reputation make it a contender.

I sent UVA and NYU negotiation letters. I'm not expecting anything from the latter, and maybe just a modest bump from Virginia if anything.

Help?

usfvictor

Re: Cornell (150K) v Virginia (60K) v NYU (40/5K)

Postby usfvictor » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:50 am

If UVA doesn't match, take Cornell and run. Even if Harvard comes calling, Cornell at what I'm assuming is a full ride is a better choice IMO given your career goals.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:55 am

UVA with no ties to the South is risky, even with a full-ride. I'd definitely take Cornell over NYU at those prices, especially if you aren't dead set on big law (and even then, Cornell does well enough with BL placement to go with).

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:03 am

Are these scholarships, tuition or CoA? I'm gonna make the assumption and say they're scholarships, in which case I'd say Cornell would probably be your best bet if you were looking at exclusively staying in NYC. This is partially my own bias as I'm fairly debt averse, but I don't think a degree from NYU is worth $100k+ (when COL is factored in) in terms of employment prospects and living situation over a degree from Cornell.

But I will say what I always tell people when deciding between decent options such as these: figure out how much you weigh each of the relative pros and cons of the different schools (location, employment prospects, CoA, placement focus, etc) and decide which fits you best based on that. What I decide is most important in making the decision, you might think is mostly irrelevant.

NYU gives you the best chance at BIGLAW, NYC and has a potential PI bump based on their heavy PI focus. It is, however, still really expensive with this scholarship (Approx. $230k for three years with interest).

UVA will place you in the South better if you decide you'd like to move back there, will cost less (total CoA especially) vs. NYU and Charlottesville has a nice small college town vibe to it if you're into that. It also can get you to NYC if you bid right. Scholarship puts you around $200k CoA unless you have in-state residence, which I doubt that you do. Better, but still damn expensive.

Cornell is by far the cheapest option and still gives you a solid chance at NYC. Probably won't place all that well outside of NYC though. You'll still be looking at CoL to account for, which should run in the $80-$90k range from what I can tell. Much more manageable from a loans standpoint. It does, however, have arguably the worst job placement of the three and limits you mainly to NYC based on most recently available data.

In case you haven't already, give their LST profiles a browse:
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=nyu
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=uva

thand42292

Postby thand42292 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:41 am

Do you have COL covered if you stay in NY? Because then NYU would be really like 100K+ off sticker.

Edit: Just because you stated you were an NYC resident. If you have a spouse or someone living in the area who'd let you live rent free suddenly NYU would be a better option than it appears.
Last edited by thand42292 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:48 am

Big Red is a no-brainer. (Or, of course, bigger Crimson.)

firstimer

Postby firstimer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:36 am

Did Virginia match (or come close to it?) I could understand choosing UVA if they came close.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:35 pm

cornell

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:10 pm

If you don't want BigLaw, Cornell is going to give you the opportunity to take home the most money when you start working, man.

Postby 04102014 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:17 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:cornell

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:33 pm

I would easily pick cornell here. That's not much debt for a school that does very well with big law.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Cornell bro.

smashingrobface

Postby smashingrobface » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks for the advice, gang. So barring UVA or NYU coming through with a merit aid bump, looks like everyone's in agreement here.

Cornell's LST 20% underemployment rate is a little scary. I am curious, though, about something in the LST profiles, and I'm hoping someone can help me out here--UVA and NYU have a little asterisk beside their Employment Scores indicating the score's percentage that comes from school-funded jobs. Cornell doesn't, although the listed school-funded rate is still 12%. Is that significant? Does it mean Cornell's Employment Score doesn't include the school-funded jobs (in which case they'd have to have been already factored into the underemployment score)?

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:07 pm

smashingrobface wrote:Thanks for the advice, gang. So barring UVA or NYU coming through with a merit aid bump, looks like everyone's in agreement here.

Cornell's LST 20% underemployment rate is a little scary. I am curious, though, about something in the LST profiles, and I'm hoping someone can help me out here--UVA and NYU have a little asterisk beside their Employment Scores indicating the score's percentage that comes from school-funded jobs. Cornell doesn't, although the listed school-funded rate is still 12%. Is that significant? Does it mean Cornell's Employment Score doesn't include the school-funded jobs (in which case they'd have to have been already factored into the underemployment score)?

FWIW, a tool like LST is going to be skewed towards providing a cost/benefit analysis in relation to tuition and BigLaw prospects. I think your best option is to get in touch with Cornell and discuss what they offer in terms of employment opportunities in criminal law. Are you looking to go into a private or fed practice? If it's the latter, do you have any background in something remotely fed related??

star fox

Postby star fox » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:11 pm

Congrats on the acceptances man. Very interesting but nice conundrum you're in. Since you don't seem to want BigLaw I'd reckon you'll be most happy not having (as much) crushing debt to carry with you. So Cornell makes sense. Turning down NYU with that money is rough though. Best of luck to you.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:13 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:cornell

smashingrobface

Postby smashingrobface » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:32 pm

LRGhost wrote:FWIW, a tool like LST is going to be skewed towards providing a cost/benefit analysis in relation to tuition and BigLaw prospects. I think your best option is to get in touch with Cornell and discuss what they offer in terms of employment opportunities in criminal law. Are you looking to go into a private or fed practice? If it's the latter, do you have any background in something remotely fed related??

This is the right idea, and something I'll pursue.

For the record, I'm in my second year working for a federal agency relevant to my interests. My experiences there are more or less what made me want to go to law school.

john7234797 wrote:Congrats on the acceptances man. Very interesting but nice conundrum you're in. Since you don't seem to want BigLaw I'd reckon you'll be most happy not having (as much) crushing debt to carry with you. So Cornell makes sense. Turning down NYU with that money is rough though. Best of luck to you.

Thanks! Yeah, my heart says NYU, because I love everything about New York except the rent. And I really do think their LRAP, if it's as excellent as I hear, counts for a lot. It's tough.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:36 pm

Use that $150k to try to get more out of UVA and NYU.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”