San Diego/SoCal job prospects coming from out of state Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bababooeybababooey

New

San Diego/SoCal job prospects coming from out of state

Post by bababooeybababooey » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:40 am

:roll:
Last edited by bababooeybababooey on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Gold

Re: San Diego/SoCal job prospects coming from out of state

Post by Cobretti » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:46 am

Outside of T14 you shouldn't expect much national portability. If you're serious about the region and have ties maybe check out UCI. If you get $ from them it could be worthwhile.

locthebloke

New

Post by locthebloke » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:14 am

Have I gone completely bat-shit crazy to think I can land a job in San Diego or SoCal after graduating from a T50 out of state school?
Yes.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:16 pm

You will have very limited portability absent crazy good grades. You should retake for a T14 or go to school for cheap in California. I've heard San Diego is one of the most saturated and competitive markets in the country, so your outlook isn't good.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:You will have very limited portability absent crazy good grades. You should retake for a T14 or go to school for cheap in California. I've heard San Diego is one of the most saturated and competitive markets in the country, so your outlook isn't good.
I hear you can't walk on the streets of San Diego without tripping over a drunk, homeless Thomas Jefferson student.
Last edited by jselson on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:49 pm

jselson wrote:
romothesavior wrote:You will have very limited portability absent crazy good grades. You should retake for a T14 or go to school for cheap in California. I've heard San Diego is one of the most saturated and competitive markets in the country, so your outlook isn't good.
I hear you can't walk on the streets of San Diego without tripping over a drunk, homeless Thomas Jefferson student.
Lol. This made me smile. You did the world a great service today. Thank you :D

bababooeybababooey

New

Post by bababooeybababooey » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Haha thanks for the feedback everyone, I think I already knew the answer to my question... my real question is whether I want to do what I wanna do or what someone else wants me to do.

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:13 pm

locthebloke wrote:
Have I gone completely bat-shit crazy to think I can land a job in San Diego or SoCal after graduating from a T50 out of state school?
Yes.
bababooeybababooey wrote:Haha thanks for the feedback everyone, I think I already knew the answer to my question... my real question is whether I want to do what I wanna do or what someone else wants me to do.
Only you can answer that question.

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Los Angeles and OC are big enough markets where anything is possible. You'd generally be better off coming from Loyola than an out of state T50, though, if you really wanted to end up in So Cal.

I wouldn't waste any time hoping to get San Diego from out of state. It is extremely difficult even from Harvard. There just aren't very many entry level positions there.

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:11 pm

0L here in SoCal. SD is hard to crack unless IP. Firms in SD have small SA slots overall. Now that UCI is in the OC, expect competition to ramp up there also. Ties will help.

Impossible? No. Tough...yes. If you have good grades it's possible to get SoCal. Mass mail early. Browse through the employment stats in the Students forum for confirmation. Tier 1 students have gotten jobs in Cali. I don't think it would be worth it if you know you will be moving to SoCal though. Too much risk that you won't make the cut

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”