Kentucky $$ vs. Maryland w/ 4K vs. Richmond sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mikebluth

Kentucky $$ vs. Maryland w/ 4K vs. Richmond sticker

Postby mikebluth » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:18 pm

Hoping for some help from you all on the interweb. From the Northeast, so I realize Kentucky would be a stretch (in terms of finding a job). Is it worth all of the money to go to a school with a larger market like Maryland or Richmond? I have a few other choices on the east coast w/o $. Thanks guys.

wfudeacons2005

Re: Kentucky $$ vs. Maryland w/ 4K vs. Richmond sticker

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:51 pm

100% do not go to Richmond at sticker or Kentucky at any price but $0. Assuming that none of the "few other choices" are T-14s then they are not going to be worth sticker. These types of schools are all very local so you have to be positive that you are going to be comfortable living in that area because that is where you're job will be - if you get one at all. Out of these choices, none are good. However, if you must go this year then Maryland is decent IF you have some ties there, want to live there and can potentially establish residency for tuition purposes after a year (I don't know what their policy is).

If you are dead set on going this year then you should be going to your in-state flagship University so you have a network and can keep costs down. Otherwise, re-take and apply to better schools or peer schools where you have some kind of tie to the area and can get more money than just 4K.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:35 pm

What are your numbers?
Where do you want to work?
What do you want to do?

mikebluth

Postby mikebluth » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:40 pm

empyreanrrv wrote:What are your numbers?
Where do you want to work?
What do you want to do?

3.5 160. Planning on staying in the south, so that's why I considered Richmond and Kentucky to be decent options. Hoping to find work in a decent boutique law firm. I realize, though, that these plans sound naive, but I try to stay optimistic that the market will turn around. I definitely don't plan on retaking because it's a good score for me.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”