how much of my decision should be determined by this? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bailey8078

Bronze

how much of my decision should be determined by this?

Post by bailey8078 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:07 pm

I have created an odd situation for myself. During my grad work I was allowed to take a class at my university's law school (a TTT). I wanted to make sure that I would be able to handle law school and enjoy the material. I took the first semester of a year long contracts course and was graded on a pass/fail/outstanding system, receiving an outstanding.

Anyway, I knew going in that I would not be able to receive credit for this at a law school because I took the class before matriculating. What I did not know is how big a deal some schools would make of it. At one school (T14) I was told I would have to take the class but would receive no grade. At another T-14 I was told I would have to take the class, would receive a grade, but that it wouldn't be factored into my gpa. I've asked some other schools if they would require me to do something about this class and one dean literally laughed and asked what schools were making such a fuss. I understand that they're trying to protect the curve. I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I only took the first half of the class. I don't think I should be treated any differently than someone that took a pre-law class on con law.

Long story short, whether I will receive a grade/gpa in contracts has become a factor in my decision. How big of a factor should this be?

K Rock

Bronze

Re: how much of my decision should be determined by this?

Post by K Rock » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:54 pm

Not a factor

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:56 pm

Consider yourself lucky that you're not on the curve for that class. Take the pass fail option so you can get away with minimal effort and focus on your other classes

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Yeah this sounds like a huge blessing. Just because you took a Contracts class before doesn't guarantee you'll get a good grade in a different class with a different professor and a different exam. Take it pass/fail and do the bare minimum to pass and focus on other classes

pedestrian

Bronze

Post by pedestrian » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:54 pm

My only concern would be how it appears on your transcript, and then only if you are aiming for biglaw. A partner on the hiring committee at a V5 told me that contracts is the most important grade for hiring decisions (although not as important as having high grades overall).

If the grade will appear but not affect your GPA, I would say zero concern (but get a good grade). If you are not gunning for biglaw, zero concern. Even if it appears as "pass" or "ungraded" or something unusual, it may not be an issue - just something you would have to explain in an interview.

It definitely should not outweigh other factors such as overall employment prospects in choosing which school to attend.
Last edited by pedestrian on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:01 pm

I would lean against taking it again and getting a grade that didn't count in GPA. That is just the worst of both worlds. If you do well, it won't count. And if you do poorly you'll still have a shitty grade on your transcript.

Otherwise it doesn't matter.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:14 pm

I don't see what the problem is. It is not uncommon for someone to have taken a law school class before law school stared and then take it again. My friend was practically a con law scholar before she came to Columbia, but she took the regular class and was graded on the curve. I am surprised they are insisting on these drastic measures. Did you bring this to their attention, or did they contact you?

bailey8078

Bronze

Post by bailey8078 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:27 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:I don't see what the problem is. It is not uncommon for someone to have taken a law school class before law school stared and then take it again. My friend was practically a con law scholar before she came to Columbia, but she took the regular class and was graded on the curve. I am surprised they are insisting on these drastic measures. Did you bring this to their attention, or did they contact you?

That was kind of my point.

And they contacted me. One of them before they accepted me, and the other as a PS on my acceptance letter.

Thank you everyone.

For the record, I don't have all of these options at each school.

Where I go will determine which way I'm graded. I was hoping to take it and have it count towards my GPA. But I guess it will just be a tie breaker if I can't decide between two of these schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”