GW vs. UW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
simplycatalina

Re: GW vs. UW

Postby simplycatalina » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'm for sure not going to UW or GW at sticker, I'm hoping for a decent scholarship from either or I won't go. I got into both a few days ago so I'm still waiting.Regarding LSAT retake, I studied for 8 months straight and am not sure I'd do much better if I retook. I took a blueprint course and had tutoring. I'm still waiting on a few T14 so we'll see. About connections, I worked for Bay Area Legal Aid for a while and they have pretty much guaranteed me a job if I want it. I've done a lot of work with victims of domestic violence and am close to several of the attorneys in the Bay Area who handle DV cases. Yes, I understand that law school is not my path to riches, but that is not my goal. I have a friend who was killed by an abusive partner and have worked with numerous women in similar situations (hence why I "freaked out" in that post; I admit I overreacted); the legal system fails victims of DV on a regular basis and I hope to do something about it.

slawww

Postby slawww » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:13 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'm for sure not going to UW or GW at sticker, I'm hoping for a decent scholarship from either or I won't go. I got into both a few days ago so I'm still waiting.Regarding LSAT retake, I studied for 8 months straight and am not sure I'd do much better if I retook. I took a blueprint course and had tutoring. I'm still waiting on a few T14 so we'll see. About connections, I worked for Bay Area Legal Aid for a while and they have pretty much guaranteed me a job if I want it. I've done a lot of work with victims of domestic violence and am close to several of the attorneys in the Bay Area who handle DV cases. Yes, I understand that law school is not my path to riches, but that is not my goal. I have a friend who was killed by an abusive partner and have worked with numerous women in similar situations (hence why I "freaked out" in that post; I admit I overreacted); the legal system fails victims of DV on a regular basis and I hope to do something about it.

I just skimmed through this thread. If you say you have a job pretty much lined up, why don't you go to a strong local school with a big scholarship, keep your connections through law school, and graduate with a guaranteed job & 100k in the bank. Sounds like an easy choice to me, as someone with a net worth of about 1000 bucks.

kaydee

Postby kaydee » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:31 pm

I work in Biglaw in LA and 5 of our partners went to UW. Just thought I'd throw that out there

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:04 am

slawww wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'm for sure not going to UW or GW at sticker, I'm hoping for a decent scholarship from either or I won't go. I got into both a few days ago so I'm still waiting.Regarding LSAT retake, I studied for 8 months straight and am not sure I'd do much better if I retook. I took a blueprint course and had tutoring. I'm still waiting on a few T14 so we'll see. About connections, I worked for Bay Area Legal Aid for a while and they have pretty much guaranteed me a job if I want it. I've done a lot of work with victims of domestic violence and am close to several of the attorneys in the Bay Area who handle DV cases. Yes, I understand that law school is not my path to riches, but that is not my goal. I have a friend who was killed by an abusive partner and have worked with numerous women in similar situations (hence why I "freaked out" in that post; I admit I overreacted); the legal system fails victims of DV on a regular basis and I hope to do something about it.

I just skimmed through this thread. If you say you have a job pretty much lined up, why don't you go to a strong local school with a big scholarship, keep your connections through law school, and graduate with a guaranteed job & 100k in the bank. Sounds like an easy choice to me, as someone with a net worth of about 1000 bucks.

Banking on a semi-tenative job offer at a nonprofit is not a good idea. They don't have any idea what their funding/hiring situation is going to look like in 3+ years (funding outlook for LSC is not good, there have been pretty large lay-offs at many legal aid orgs in the past year).

hopingtogetin

Postby hopingtogetin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:40 pm

I'll probably get a lot of hate for this, but I think you should go to GW! It's what you want, and it's not horrible with job placement. Plus, DC is a great place to live. Also, I don't know your numbers, but I got 35k per year with GW's median gpa and lsat. So you might be in pretty good shape. It's a gorgeous law school and I think if it would make you happy to go, you should just go. It's not like you're talking about going to some tier three school or something here.

If you get $0 in scholarship, then maybe you should consider somewhere else. But if you do get money, and you and your parents have money saved up to go, my opinion is go for it! You only have one shot at life though, right? I find people on TLS usually advocate for the least risky choice, and that's usually a pretty good plan. However, I think sometimes risk-taking can be worth it. I've done a lot of things in my life people would consider risky, but they were worth it because it was what I truly wanted to do. I think your choice is easy. You know what you want. You want to live in DC. You want to work in DC. You like GW Law. You have the money to do it I think your answer is right there. Maybe it's not the most conservative choice, but if it's what you want, you should do it.

On a side note, I think I sympathize with you because I absolutely hated GULC when I visited. I had an alumni interview and the interviewer essentially told me that going to law school there was a horrible experience which was fairly awkward.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:17 pm

hopingtogetin wrote:I'll probably get a lot of hate for this, but I think you should go to GW! It's what you want, and it's not horrible with job placement. Plus, DC is a great place to live. Also, I don't know your numbers, but I got 35k per year with GW's median gpa and lsat. So you might be in pretty good shape. It's a gorgeous law school and I think if it would make you happy to go, you should just go. It's not like you're talking about going to some tier three school or something here.

If you get $0 in scholarship, then maybe you should consider somewhere else. But if you do get money, and you and your parents have money saved up to go, my opinion is go for it! You only have one shot at life though, right? I find people on TLS usually advocate for the least risky choice, and that's usually a pretty good plan. However, I think sometimes risk-taking can be worth it. I've done a lot of things in my life people would consider risky, but they were worth it because it was what I truly wanted to do. I think your choice is easy. You know what you want. You want to live in DC. You want to work in DC. You like GW Law. You have the money to do it I think your answer is right there. Maybe it's not the most conservative choice, but if it's what you want, you should do it.

On a side note, I think I sympathize with you because I absolutely hated GULC when I visited. I had an alumni interview and the interviewer essentially told me that going to law school there was a horrible experience which was fairly awkward.

#YOLO

Return to “Choosing a Law School”