uva at sticker v. reapply Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
whereskyle

Silver

uva at sticker v. reapply

Post by whereskyle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:05 pm

This cycle: rejected at berk (wrote 1 pg and a half and a separate why berk). wl'ed at chi and col.
Waiting on Stan.
I've always wanted Cali, but I want an art. III clerkship more than Cali biglaw. I'm very happy to have been admitted to uva, but the wisdom of uva at sticker has been questioned repeatedly on these forums.
I was feeling picky about places to live this cycle, so I did not apply to HYNP.

What do you all think about reapplying with a fresh personal statement in September? Is scorning uva a valid concern?

Also, clerking is of perennial importance to me. Is it advisable for me to just cram for the lsat without accruing new experience, so i can land hys?

Wakelaw15

Bronze

Re: uva at sticker v. reapply

Post by Wakelaw15 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:07 pm

If these are only choices, reapply.

stuckinthemiddle

Bronze

Post by stuckinthemiddle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:15 pm

Ugh, I hate to say this because you've obviously done well to get into UVA, but your goals are way too lofty to be a realistic aspiration at UVA.

If all you wanted was biglaw or fed/gov/PI, I would say UVA at sticker would be a reasonable bet. Since you want clerkships though, I would aim for T6.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:21 pm

Get into Stanford or retake/reapply.

It was stupid not to apply to Yale or Harvard.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:22 pm

OP do you have CA ties?

This depends a lot on what your numbers are. I assume you're at least a mild splitter because otherwise the 170 would have gotten you more options and cash. Depending on how big your split is a retake might not do that much to help your cause, other than opening up the possibility of Columbia or NYU at sticker, which is better for NYC biglaw, but not sure that it does much for your CA goal.
stuckinthemiddle wrote: Since you want clerkships though, I would aim for T6.
CCN don't improve your chances of clerking over UVA. Clerking isn't something that should make or break your decision since only a small minority of people will clerk from any school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:08 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Get into Stanford or retake/reapply.

It was stupid not to apply to Yale or Harvard.
If all you get is sticker at UVA, you probably aren't getting H and you almost certainly aren't getting Y.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 am

whereskyle wrote:This cycle: rejected at berk (wrote 1 pg and a half and a separate why berk). wl'ed at chi and col.
Waiting on Stan.
I've always wanted Cali, but I want an art. III clerkship more than Cali biglaw. I'm very happy to have been admitted to uva, but the wisdom of uva at sticker has been questioned repeatedly on these forums.
I was feeling picky about places to live this cycle, so I did not apply to HYNP.

What do you all think about reapplying with a fresh personal statement in September? Is scorning uva a valid concern?

Also, clerking is of perennial importance to me. Is it advisable for me to just cram for the lsat without accruing new experience, so i can land hys?
Why do you want to clerk so badly?

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:45 am

I have no undergrad gpa from my small lib arts college. Without a gpa, I feel that my lsat score must matter that much more, unless the t6 merely thinks i'm a fool for not earning a gpa. Either that, or I just need a 172 to get ccnp(b). With a 170, im wl'ed at col, chi.

As for hys, I may never get that. Consider this:
WE: paralegal, teaching, volunteering. The WE doesn't seem sufficient for hys, but it may be enough with a 175.

As for clerking, I've enthusiastically enjoyed the CLE courses I've taken with appellate judges from the local dca. I am fascinated by the role of the judge as interpreter of precedent. My career goals: I want to critique arguments and make my own. Working on briefs has far and away been the most enjoyable activity of my professional life thus far. For that, I want to clerk and do appellate litigation. I work in family law, and coming around to a field with more tolerable clients and interesting legal issues may help me refocus my preoccupation with clerking, as I may find fields besides family law less maddening in the litigation dept.

So, the question becomes this: is there good cause to hold out for a school that places more clerks in more prestigious clerkships?

Would uva consider me again, if I said I couldn't go for $250,000.00?

Finally, can anyone share a resource that pinpoints where students from specific schools are frequently clerking? As an admit, I've seen a lot of uva's placement, and, while I'm impressed by the sheer amount of clerks, it's quite clear that the majority of them are not heading to the most nationally desired benches (nearly half are in va). I just assume that hys get first pick. I think actually seeing where people are going may make this decision more obvious for me.

Thanks, all.

peeonyou

New

Post by peeonyou » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:53 am

I'm sticker at UVa. I told myself if I'm below median I'd drop out going in. I don't think waiting out is necessarily the right call if you have this perspective, but given the dearth of 170s this cycle you should get $ to a top 14.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:57 am

I hope we get some of that April money, fellow sticker.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:01 am

Nelson wrote:OP do you have CA ties?

This depends a lot on what your numbers are. I assume you're at least a mild splitter because otherwise the 170 would have gotten you more options and cash. Depending on how big your split is a retake might not do that much to help your cause, other than opening up the possibility of Columbia or NYU at sticker, which is better for NYC biglaw, but not sure that it does much for your CA goal.
stuckinthemiddle wrote: Since you want clerkships though, I would aim for T6.
CCN don't improve your chances of clerking over UVA. Clerking isn't something that should make or break your decision since only a small minority of people will clerk from any school.
Ties to l.a., but I obviously want the schools in the bay.

What do you think of the lack of gpa? I'm feeling it makes 2-3 points on the lsat a big deal. Concur?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:28 am

If you want to clerk you should go to Harvard, Stanford, or Yale.

thand42292

New

Post by thand42292 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:03 am

Would any of the June retake for money people recommend that in this case? Paging Nova et al.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:04 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:18 am

OP, what is your goal with respect to clerking? From what you're saying, it sounds like you want COA. I interned at a federal district court in VA and I met many clerks from UVA (and none from HYS). This is purely anecdotal, but I'm sure some people here can comment on how UVA students fare with district court clerkships.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:39 am

whereskyle wrote:I have no undergrad gpa from my small lib arts college. Without a gpa, I feel that my lsat score must matter that much more, unless the t6 merely thinks i'm a fool for not earning a gpa. Either that, or I just need a 172 to get ccnp(b). With a 170, im wl'ed at col, chi.

As for hys, I may never get that. Consider this:
WE: paralegal, teaching, volunteering. The WE doesn't seem sufficient for hys, but it may be enough with a 175.

As for clerking, I've enthusiastically enjoyed the CLE courses I've taken with appellate judges from the local dca. I am fascinated by the role of the judge as interpreter of precedent. My career goals: I want to critique arguments and make my own. Working on briefs has far and away been the most enjoyable activity of my professional life thus far. For that, I want to clerk and do appellate litigation. I work in family law, and coming around to a field with more tolerable clients and interesting legal issues may help me refocus my preoccupation with clerking, as I may find fields besides family law less maddening in the litigation dept.

So, the question becomes this: is there good cause to hold out for a school that places more clerks in more prestigious clerkships?

Would uva consider me again, if I said I couldn't go for $250,000.00?

Finally, can anyone share a resource that pinpoints where students from specific schools are frequently clerking? As an admit, I've seen a lot of uva's placement, and, while I'm impressed by the sheer amount of clerks, it's quite clear that the majority of them are not heading to the most nationally desired benches (nearly half are in va). I just assume that hys get first pick. I think actually seeing where people are going may make this decision more obvious for me.

Thanks, all.
I feel like you're not appreciating at all how difficult it is to clerk. It's not about "desirable" vs. "undesirable." Any AIII clerkship is hugely desirable. Only about 15% of *Harvard* grads do clerkships as their first job. A significantly smaller portion than that get staffed in appellate practice groups at firms. If you want to be an ADA doing appellate, that is more doable, but still not exactly easy.

Definitely retake. If this is what you want, retake until you've got a 175+.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”