Please help me make my decision (poll included)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

Harvard (sticker)
64%
Chicago (45k scholarship)
1%
NYU (50k scholarship)
6%
Berkeley (applied for UVA matching scholly)
5%
UVA (105k scholarship)
11%
Penn (applied for 60-90k scholarship)
4%
Michigan (67.5k scholarship)
1%
Georgetown (97k scholarship)
2%
UT (Full-ride)
7%

Total votes: 169

Teflon_Don

Please help me make my decision (poll included)

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:42 pm

Hey everyone! So it looks like I've got most of my options in front of me. I'm still waiting on SLS and CLS (I doubt I'd get money here, if I got in). Also, still waiting on money from Chicago/Penn. But with my options, which would you choose? I'm really open to working wherever; but I have been in TX all my life (fine with returning) and also really enjoy California. Since they evaluate my parent's financial info., doubt I'll get anything from HLS. I used to have a strong interest for public service and fed. clerkships, but now I'm leaning more toward big law at least for a couple years to help chip away from huge debt. I think that HLS would be the obvious choice here, but sticker there still somewhat scares me. So, with all this in mind, which would you choose? Any feedback is welcomed, thanks! :)
Last edited by Teflon_Don on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Re: Please help me make my decision (poll included)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Doesn't cal laugh in the face of UVA's schollys?

fluffythepenguin

Postby fluffythepenguin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:53 pm

What is the expected debt at Harvard? 150k vs. 250k at graduation is a big difference, IMO.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:55 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Doesn't cal laugh in the face of UVA's schollys?

If that's true then scratch off Berkeley. I thought maybe as a URM, I could still get it. But it's a lot to match. and I won't know for awhile, it seems. Basically, is HLS worth the potential 70-80k difference at most of the other T14 schools (excluding CLS)?

guano

Postby guano » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Get rid of Georgetown (better scholly at UVA), Chicago (at sticker, Harvard is abetted option) and Michigan (price comparison with NYU and UVA makes it obsolete). Probably get rid of NYU because if you're spending that much, may as well go a bit bigger and attend Harvard.
Penn and Berkeley are very dependent upon the size of the scholly, particularly Berkeley considering your interest in California. UT for cost of living is avoid option if you want to stay in Texas

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:57 pm

HLS is just going to be sticker and housing, according to their website: about 234k. According to LST, around 275k or so. This is excluding SA's during law school. In other words, I don't have any significant savings that will chip away from HLS at sticker.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:00 pm

guano wrote:Get rid of Georgetown (better scholly at UVA), Chicago (at sticker, Harvard is abetted option) and Michigan (price comparison with NYU and UVA makes it obsolete). Probably get rid of NYU because if you're spending that much, may as well go a bit bigger and attend Harvard.
Penn and Berkeley are very dependent upon the size of the scholly, particularly Berkeley considering your interest in California. UT for cost of living is avoid option if you want to stay in Texas

So best case scenario, Penn gives me 90k and Berkeley matches that 105k UVA scholarship (these are long shots, I know). Do you think those are way better options than HLS at sticker? I'd like California one day, but I'm not dead set on it either. I'd also like the option to return to TX if I wanted

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:01 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:HLS is just going to be sticker and housing, according to their website: about 234k. According to LST, around 275k or so. This is excluding SA's during law school. In other words, I don't have any significant savings that will chip away from HLS at sticker.

unless you parents are LOADED, i don't think they'd calculate your totally EFC to be all 75K... esp given that you don't have any savings of your own. But maybe thats just wishful thinking as I sit here waiting for HLS fin aid to give me a login

if you want geographical options... HLS is probably the best bet regarding portability and mobility

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:03 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Teflon_Don wrote:HLS is just going to be sticker and housing, according to their website: about 234k. According to LST, around 275k or so. This is excluding SA's during law school. In other words, I don't have any significant savings that will chip away from HLS at sticker.

unless you parents are LOADED, i don't think they'd calculate your totally EFC to be all 75K... esp given that you don't have any savings of your own. But maybe thats just wishful thinking as I sit here waiting for HLS fin aid to give me a login

if you want geographical options... HLS is probably the best bet regarding portability and mobility

+1 haha. Yeah, unfortunately my assets are essentially zero. My parents aren't loaded by my standards. I just don't know how much that influences the financial aid package

fluffythepenguin

Postby fluffythepenguin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:04 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:

Hmmm... I guess what I was trying to get at was the amount of time it would take to (aggressively) pay back the HLS debt. 150k is 3 years in biglaw, whereas 250k is 5. I'd personally be much less comfortable with the latter than the former.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:05 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:if you want geographical options... HLS is probably the best bet regarding portability and mobility

That's what I'm thinking as well. It also seems that HLS + strong TX ties = good job in TX, which would be nice. Like I said, I'm really open to being anywhere though. I just don't want to be completely miserable scouring the streets to pay off that enormous HLS debt if I don't land a really high paying job

guano

Postby guano » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:12 pm

fluffythepenguin wrote:[Hmmm... I guess what I was trying to get at was the amount of time it would take to (aggressively) pay back the HLS debt. 150k is 3 years in biglaw, whereas 250k is 5. I'd personally be much less comfortable with the latter than the former.

Talk about wishful thinking (actually, depends on the market)
I'd consider Harvard on the high stakes end, UT as the low debt option, and UVA as a middle ground (possibly replaced by Penn or Berkeley), and just mull over your three options for a while.

High risk, high reward (and high chance) high portability - Harvard
Low risk, less likely to have a spectacular outcome, no portability - Texas
Middle ground on all fronts - UVA (or Penn/Berkeley)

yarsten

Postby yarsten » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:26 pm

I basically have the same choice to make. I think your best options are really HLS or UT.
HLS b/c regardless of the T14 you attend, you're looking at a bunch of debt, and HLS outcomes are way better
UT b/c you could have almost no debt at all w/ COL and 2L SA.

From reading various threads (check out the posts by DoubleChecks on this page and the previous), if you want Texas at Harvard you're in good shape, and with your URM status a 1L SA position is probably very attainable. Texas biglaw will also make paying off your debts much easier (no state income tax, lower COL, etc). So it's up to you:

HLS- lower risk, higher cost
UT- lower cost, higher risk

Also, take into account Harvard's LRAP (LIPP)- it's pretty nice. Even with a ton of debt, if you decide your done with biglaw after a couple of years, they'll help foot the bill as long as you're still in the legal field. You can calculate your monthly contribution pretty easily based on expected income. That's a game-changer for me. Good luck with your awesome options, feel free to PM at any time as we're basically in the same boat.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Are the Berkeley people saying that because of my interest in California? Is their reach pretty closed off just to CA? Also, I'm guessing that's your choice IF I get that matching UVA scholarship..

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Personally, I'd need a full-ride somewhere to get me away from HYS, and those schools seem to be pretty good with grants, the grading system is lax-er, and HLS has great truck with Cal firms.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:27 pm

jselson wrote:Personally, I'd need a full-ride somewhere to get me away from HYS, and those schools seem to be pretty good with grants, the grading system is lax-er, and HLS has great truck with Cal firms.

This is great info. I'm starting to think that I completely agree with you. The only thing scaring me is that HLS debt. But I think the school gives me a ton of options to manage it? Overall, I'm trying to make sure I'm not thinking too short term. HLS, in the long-run, seems to be incredibly beneficial.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:43 pm

You are a URM? I would negotiate every school that offered. Ask for more. It's only March, so there's room to beef up their offers. Ask Harvard. If they say no, ask for $10,000 less a year.

Harvard is Harvard. But $200,000+ debt is a lot. You would have to do big-law. UT is a great school. If you can get into Harvard, maybe you are the type of person who will do really well on law school tests and will be top 20% at UT. However, you really don't know how that will play.

yarsten

Postby yarsten » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:51 pm

sparty99 wrote:You would have to do big-law.

I don't think this is true. Harvard's LIPP will cover any type of legal employment (as well as some non-legal PI stuff) and is based on income, so there's a lot of freedom there. Though I am a 0L basing everything off of the HLS LIPP website, so maybe the reality isn't as rosy as I make it out to be. Any informed posters care to weigh in?

guano

Postby guano » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:53 pm

sparty99 wrote:If you can get into Harvard, maybe you are the type of person who will do really well on law school tests and will be top 20% at UT. However, you really don't know how that will play.

DO NOT MAKE THIS ASSUMPTION

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:53 pm

guano wrote:
sparty99 wrote:If you can get into Harvard, maybe you are the type of person who will do really well on law school tests and will be top 20% at UT. However, you really don't know how that will play.

DO NOT MAKE THIS ASSUMPTION

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:55 pm

Last edited by Teflon_Don on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Bump. Any other thoughts? People think UVA with 105k is better than HLS at sticker? Why?

thand42292

Postby thand42292 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:56 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:Bump. Any other thoughts? People think UVA with 105k is better than HLS at sticker? Why?

Bro, I didn't suggest it but UVA at that price is about $129,507 according to Georgetown's calculator. Like you said H is tentatively at what like 250k, 270k? Honestly, I'm in WL city right now at Harvard and I know what I'd do. All I'm going to say is that NONE of the Harvard bros on this forum aren't trying to warn people about the horrors of their school. I assume there's a reasoning behind that somewhere.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Have you applied for financial aid from HLS yet? I don't know that it's a safe assumption that you won't get a dime.
Regardless, I'd take HLS over UVA any day of the week because I'm much more afraid of bad employment outcomes than debt. If you're serious about a clerkship or public interest, it's not even close in my mind.
It really just depends on how much you weigh the risk of debt against the risk of ending up un(der)employed.

Congrats on the nice choices to have :)

star fox

Postby star fox » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:17 pm

If you don't go to Harvard don't be one of those A holes who tells anyone when they ask "where do you go to law school" that you go to ____ "...but I got in at Harvard". :lol:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”