Washington?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gable sans stache

Washington?

Postby gable sans stache » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:11 pm

So I plan on carpetbombing the T14 this fall. 170/3.6 (retaking in June, testing ~174), 2 years law-related journalism experience, decent softs.

Biglaw is a goal, but I'm also at least just as open to midlaw (I know) without much debt. Still reading? Also planning to eventually move to the northwest, maybe northern CA or Portland because I have friends there and it's better than my little detroit of a hometown. If all else fails, I made enough of a network in my hometown's legal community through my job to secure something decent back here if shit hits the fan.

I should have a pretty good shot at Berkeley, and I've always liked them, but I'm still pretty wary of debt and the biglaw experience. I know I'll get ripped apart for this, but I'm seriously considering some regional fallbacks for $$$ and midlaw. Washington Law in particular. Call it a lifestyle thing or OP is a [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.].

Anybody know any anecdotal evidence of Washington's rep throughout northern CA? Just a backup plan for now, but I'd bite the bullet and take the money if it had good midlaw draw throughout the northern west coast. Thanks people.

rinkrat19

Re: Washington?

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:14 pm

UW, Lewis & Clark, and the rest of the NW schools are extremely regional. To the point where "region" = state

Of the 30 or so summer associate positions in Portland "biglaw," maybe one person is from UW. It's like that.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:15 pm

You've got some ridiculously optimistic career goals

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:18 pm

UW is pretty well respected in the Pacific NW as it is by far the best school in the region. That being said T14 > UW for PNW in most cases. Although, personally I would take UW at nearly free over T14 at sticker.

Do you have ties from the area? This is a very insular market we are talking about here.

Also, while I wish you the best of luck, don't depend on Berkeley as they are unpredictable.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:23 pm

bchirco wrote:UW is pretty well respected in the Pacific NW as it is by far the best school in the region. That being said T14 > UW for PNW in most cases. Although, personally I would take UW at nearly free over T14 at sticker.

Do you have ties from the area? This is a very insular market we are talking about here.

Also, while I wish you the best of luck, don't depend on Berkeley as they are unpredictable.

I challenge you to name a stingier school than UWash. I don't think they have given out a full ride in the history of that law school.

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:35 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
bchirco wrote:UW is pretty well respected in the Pacific NW as it is by far the best school in the region. That being said T14 > UW for PNW in most cases. Although, personally I would take UW at nearly free over T14 at sticker.

I challenge you to name a stingier school than UWash. I don't think they have given out a full ride in the history of that law school.

Probably true. Unsure of their scholarship opportunities tbh. Either way, ties are going to be needed in addition to teh monies.

gable sans stache

Postby gable sans stache » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:45 pm

To the point where "region" = state

Well that's the thread, thanks.

You've got some ridiculously optimistic career goals

I'm also gonna segue into bigjournalism. But seriously you're right, I'm probably projecting my hometown's midlaw prospects (with ties) westward.

Whoops, a quick look at LSN seems to confirm that. My bad, last nail in the coffin.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”