Help! CA Student, Hastings v Loyola

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Big Dog

Re: Help! CA Student, Hastings v Loyola

Postby Big Dog » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:49 pm

You might be being too pessimistic about USC and UCLA.

1.) Very few people pay sticker here
2.) They have >20% big law alone

And yes, #2 is correct. At sticker, less than 1/5th of the student population will graduate with enough income to pay off that debt. Now here is the connection: the OP is seriously considering sticker at Hastings or Loyola. If the top SoCal schools have a ~20% Big Law rate, then Loyola HAS to be worse. (I'm too lazy to look it up.) So, Loyola at sticker, perhaps 10% have a chance at a job to pay down that debt.

Really dumb move.

peeonyou

Postby peeonyou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:32 pm

Big Dog wrote:

And yes, #2 is correct. At sticker, less than 1/5th of the student population will graduate with enough income to pay off that debt. Now here is the connection: the OP is seriously considering sticker at Hastings or Loyola. If the top SoCal schools have a ~20% Big Law rate, then Loyola HAS to be worse. (I'm too lazy to look it up.) So, Loyola at sticker, perhaps 10% have a chance at a job to pay down that debt.

Really dumb move.

But 1.) you need to add clerkships to the USC/UCLA figures.

2.) If it was 20% that's abnormally low for these 2 schools, and not reflective of future years.

3.) You don't need 160k or even 125k to service 200k in debt long term. Anything 80k+ is manageable. Not ideal, but manageable.

4.) These schools in particular would have people who go for atypical paths outside of law, because of LA.

I just have trouble believing USC/UCLA = Cardozo or even Fordham.

They're not great at sticker, but you aren't an idiot to consider them.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:35 pm

peeonyou wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

Really dumb move.

But 1.) you need to add clerkships to the USC/UCLA figures.

2.) If it was 20% that's abnormally low for these 2 schools, and not reflective of future years.

3.) You don't need 160k or even 125k to service 200k in debt long term. Anything 80k+ is manageable. Not ideal, but manageable.

4.) These schools in particular would have people who go for atypical paths outside of law, because of LA.

I just have trouble believing USC/UCLA = Cardozo or even Fordham.

They're not great at sticker, but you aren't an idiot to consider them.

lol

Return to “Choosing a Law School”