Help! CA Student, Hastings v Loyola

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
leximex21

Help! CA Student, Hastings v Loyola

Postby leximex21 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:43 pm

Last edited by leximex21 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rad lulz

Re: Help! CA Student, Hastings v Loyola

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Total cost of attendance including cost of living?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:53 pm

3.8 with a 156? I think you should retake. Cracking the 160s will guarantee you at least 96k at Loyola.

With that 3.8, $$$ at USC and UCLA is very well within reach with a mid 160 score. Hell, you could probably land one of the lower T14s with a mid 160.

leximex21

Postby leximex21 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:08 pm

Last edited by leximex21 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

empyreanrrv

Postby empyreanrrv » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:11 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=loyola

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=hastings

rad lulz wrote:Total cost of attendance including cost of living?

leximex21

Postby leximex21 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:12 pm

without money, neither is an option. Sticker at either is beyond foolish.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:12 pm

you should think about retaking.

edit...saw you aren't URM. Still should think about it
Last edited by eav1277 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Big Dog wrote:without money, neither is an option. Sticker at either is beyond foolish.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Don't waste that 3.8

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:20 pm

I know you said retake is not an option, but why waste that great GPA?!!?!

That being said, if I were forced to choose between Loyola and Hastings...I would still probably choose Hastings tbh but it would be close. The only right answer is to retake with that awesome GPA man, it's worth it.

leximex21

Postby leximex21 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:36 pm

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:43 pm

leximex21 wrote:Main focus is being able to get a good job in LA after law school

Neither schools is good for that

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:44 pm

leximex21 wrote:retaken already, for some reason i could never just break that 160, just not my strong point. but seeing as how I want to stay in Cali regardless, retaking would only really open me to UCLA and USC, both of which im not even close to guaranteed even if i did study my ass off and break the 160. doesn't seem worth it to me the stress that was involved. Main focus is being able to get a good job in LA after law school, so thats why this decision is hard. Loyola means i can network in LA all of law school, Hastings would make it more of a challenge I'd assume but I feel like a Hastings reputation is better than a Loyola reputation

Did you take it three times? Because you're allowed two retakes for three years. You don't know me, and I don't know you, but I ask that you please retake. A 3.8 to one of these schools is a complete waste. You worked your ass off during undergrad to have a great GPA. Don't let the LSAT prevent you from USC/UCLA with a shit ton of cash or a shot at a T14.

Believe me, no one wants to take an additional year off. But this is your career we're talking about. A few points in your LSAT can be life changing. As for the LSAT, analyze your mistakes. For me, I choked on the logic games. How am I prepping for the June LSAT? By heavily prepping on the LGs with a few RCs and LRs every now and then. Also, did you go through ALL of the available LSATs during your prep? If you haven't, then I highly doubt that you've reached your full potential.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:49 pm

I want to stay in Cali regardless, retaking would only really open me to UCLA and USC, both of which im not even close to guaranteed even if i did study my ass off and break the 160. doesn't seem worth it to me the stress that was involved. Main focus is being able to get a good job in LA...

You do understand that UCLA and USC grads only have a ~20% chance of landing a "good job" after graduation.....?

(Of course, it depends on you definition of "good job".)

Regardless, a few extra points and Loyola would shower you with money. Better to be unemployed with little debt than unemployed with bone-crushing debt.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:02 pm

Last edited by Rahviveh on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:18 pm

<<----

leximex21 wrote:Main focus is being able to get a good job in LA after law school, so thats why this decision is hard.

No, that's why this false dilemma you have created is stupid. Going to either of those schools makes that outcome unlikely. Not difficult or a toss up, Un-fucking-likely. LA is a tough market and you would be attending, at best, the 6th best law school in the state. This doesn't even include the fact that you'll be competing with stars and people with ties from the rest of the t-14.

Davidbentley wrote: [W]hen you're offered the choice between a shit sandwich and a turd salad, the best course of action is to abstain courteously. Retake.

peeonyou

Postby peeonyou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:13 pm

leximex21 wrote:retaken already, for some reason i could never just break that 160, just not my strong point. but seeing as how I want to stay in Cali regardless, retaking would only really open me to UCLA and USC, both of which im not even close to guaranteed even if i did study my ass off and break the 160. doesn't seem worth it to me the stress that was involved. Main focus is being able to get a good job in LA after law school, so thats why this decision is hard. Loyola means i can network in LA all of law school, Hastings would make it more of a challenge I'd assume but I feel like a Hastings reputation is better than a Loyola reputation

If logic, critical reading and analyzing arguments is not your strong point then you are making a big mistake.

Median at either of these is screwed. People are worried being median at a t-14. It's a big mistake. Law school is only a good investment if 1.) you like law and 2.) if entering debt is >100k -> you have a better than not chance going in of walking out with a 100k salary.

You currently can't satisfy 2.) so it is a poor investment. Of your goal, the answer is Loyola because it's in LA. You'll need to be top third in Hastings to get a job that pays 50 or better anywhere. In Loyola, at least if you're top 10% you may get a job in LA.

peeonyou

Postby peeonyou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Big Dog wrote:
I want to stay in Cali regardless, retaking would only really open me to UCLA and USC, both of which im not even close to guaranteed even if i did study my ass off and break the 160. doesn't seem worth it to me the stress that was involved. Main focus is being able to get a good job in LA...

You do understand that UCLA and USC grads only have a ~20% chance of landing a "good job" after graduation.....?

(Of course, it depends on you definition of "good job".)

Regardless, a few extra points and Loyola would shower you with money. Better to be unemployed with little debt than unemployed with bone-crushing debt.

You might be being too pessimistic about USC and UCLA.

1.) Very few people pay sticker here
2.) They have >20% big law alone

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:31 pm

leximex21 wrote:doesn't seem worth it to me the stress that was involved. Main focus is being able to get a good job in LA after law school

stress of retaking <<<<<<<<<<<<<< stress of being unemployed with 200K of non-dischargeable debt and no job prospects

peeonyou

Postby peeonyou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:51 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:
leximex21 wrote:doesn't seem worth it to me the stress that was involved. Main focus is being able to get a good job in LA after law school

stress of retaking <<<<<<<<<<<<<< stress of being unemployed with 200K of non-dischargeable debt and no job prospects

this is retarded. there's no stress in retaking. there's no downside. if the stress of the LSAT is enough to make you not want to do it despite a benefit of possibly millions over a lifetime then you picked the wrong field. if the stress is enough to influence your decision making, the truth is you're probably not fit for any job that is competitive or requires working well under pressure which would be virtually any high paying job unless you can become a world renowned artist. i'd say pop singing, but that can be very pressure filled too. seriously, if the reason is stress why pick the most stressful field in america with the most stressful schooling?

leximex21

Postby leximex21 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:11 pm

Last edited by leximex21 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 pm

We're actually being really helpful. Trust me. I was in your same shoes. I was deciding between 96k at Loyola or sticker at Notre Dame. And that's WITH COL covered by my parents (so I'd only be 120k in debt vs 200k). With that said, after browsing through all those comments and of course, doing some heavy research on my own, I decided that retaking was clearly the best idea. The thing is, both of those schools give you less than a coin flip's chance of even being employed, let alone a good job. If you're paying sticker, that'll leave you north of 200k in debt after interest. You either want to minimize debt or go to a school with much better employment prospects to justify going to law school.

Stats don't lie.

I know taking another year off might sound awful, but as I've mentioned, this is your career we're talking about. This is something you'll be doing for the rest of your life. Your LSAT score can actually determine your fate at this point.

If you're not willing to take another year off, at least sign up for the June LSAT and put down a deposit at one of those schools. That way, if you bomb, you can still attend this year. But if you totally ace it, then you can decide to take another year off with much better prospects next cycle. You really have nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain by retaking. Guess what? I'm actually doing the same thing. You totally should too. Just to add to this, we joined TLS on the exact same day. Jan 22, 2013. Let's be June retake twins as well with 170s in July and T14s (or USC/UCLA with $$$) next year.

I hope you make the right decision. Good luck to you!
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Solistus

Postby Solistus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:21 pm

leximex21 wrote:If you all don't have anything helpful to say I'd appreciate you going elsewhere with your rude and disrespectful comments. I thought I might actually get some help from users on here but clearly I was wrong.

You ARE getting help. People are trying to talk some sense into you and prevent you from making a huge mistake.

Oh, that's not what you wanted to hear? You're a special little snowflake, and no matter where you go, LA firms will be lining up to hire you. Shoot for the stars, kiddo!

Seriously, though. You could dramatically increase your future career options and financial situation by spending a few weeks studying to re-take a test. If you are unwilling or unable to put in that much work, there is absolutely no chance that you are gonna land a good job in one of the most competitive job markets there is. If your main goal right now is to enable a career as a lawyer in LA, there is only one option that is remotely reasonable, and that is to retake the LSAT.

peeonyou

Postby peeonyou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:38 pm

leximex21 wrote:If you all don't have anything helpful to say I'd appreciate you going elsewhere with your rude and disrespectful comments. I thought I might actually get some help from users on here but clearly I was wrong.

this is all helpful. my PM was helpful, this info is helpful. just because i'm not laying down, rubbing your back and telling you that you're great and don't need to worry about a 6-figure LA job while jacking you off doesn't mean i'm not helpful.

if you think your 156 gives you a good chance at this opportunity, then why would there be any recession?

do better. work harder. complain less, and grow a pair of balls. whether you're male or female doesn't matter. grow balls, and stop complaining like a little biatch.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”