Any advice is greatly appreciated Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What do I do?

UCLA (sticker)
7%
Boston (20k/year)
9%
W&L (20k/year)
2%
Emory (18k/year)
2%
Indiana-Bloomington (full ride + stipend)
43%
June re-take for negotiation
32%
Waitlist options at sticker
5%

Total votes: 56

locluke02

New

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Post by locluke02 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:49 am

I am a 163/3.85, 2nd year in Teach For America. I have twice scored the same 163. Neither time did I study a great deal because I was employed and quite busy; my job is, to be frank, somewhat crippling in terms of time and energy. Not the best excuse I realize, but I did not prepare nearly as much as is advised on these forums. I probably took 8 or 9 practice tests before the October 2012 administration. Most of these practice efforts registered between 166-169. I also dabbled with the PowerScore LG bible. I had an uncharacteristically poor showing on RC in October. Never mastered logic games and have always been weaker there.

I just now realized (maybe I'm a bit dim) that taking the June LSAT in hopes of scholarship negotiation/getting off the WL is becoming more popular. Is this a feasible option for me? Does anyone know if it's even effective? Any thoughts on this at all? My choice is essentially between these places (and I will negotiate obviously) or the June re-take.

One thing that is NOT an option is sitting out another year and re-taking to enhance my chance of admission to more schools or going through another application cycle period. I am 25 now, and I cannot teach another year. I need something new. And law school is what I need.

I hoped to sneak into the T14. I know my numbers say I shouldn't. But I'm irrationally confident sometimes.

EDIT: I will consider transferring if I do well in my first year. I know you cannot rely on this option, but I am open to pursuing it.

ACCEPTED (per year scholly):
UCLA (sticker)
Boston (20k/year)
W&L (20k/year)
Emory (18k/year)
Indiana-Bloomington (full ride + stipend)
June re-take for negotiation

WAITLIST
Michigan
Penn
Georgetown

RESERVE/HOLD
Cornell
Northwestern

WAITING
NYU (waitlist or ding, I'm sure)
Duke
USC
WUSTL (applied recently)
Last edited by locluke02 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

guano

Gold

Re: Any advice is greatly appreciated

Post by guano » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:55 am

If you don't care where you want to live, I'd say Indiana.
Otherwise, I'd say Emory, which beats out Boston due to low cost of living and beats W&L by having a real home market.

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:55 am

Literally none of the above. Rutgers camden is merging with newark.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:57 am

MarcusAurelius wrote:Literally none of the above. Rutgers camden is merging with newark.
:?:

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Post by empyreanrrv » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:04 pm

Everyone is going to tell you to retake in June, and pending that score, sit out a cycle. If you even just hit inside your practice range, you have a great chance of more money at one at one of your regional choices or getting into a T14. You absolutely need to retake for June, and prioritize time to study for it. Being 25, not being able to teach next, and wanting something new are short-sighted and not reasons to disadvantage yourself in the future.

Of your choices listed, Indiana is your best option. Study and take the June LSAT and see how you do. If you get over 167, you'll be at Cornell's median LSAT and above their 75th for GPA, which should give you an excellent chance for a lot of money. 169 puts money at Duke, Michigan and Georgetown into play (may even be just a 168 after this year). In short, Indiana is a good option provided you're okay living in that region, but you need to reevaluate your options after taking the LSAT again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

locluke02

New

Post by locluke02 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:14 pm

Empyreanrrv,

Thank you for your thoughts. To clarify, are you suggesting that the re-take gives me good options at the schools you mentioned for THIS cycle? Have students, from your experience, had success with the June re-take in terms of waitlist movement or scholarship negotiation?

Appreciate it!

K Rock

Bronze

Post by K Rock » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:15 pm

Where do you want to practice?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Get ANY job, sit out for a year and retake. You have done 1/10 the preparation that many on this forum have done, and if you dedicated yourself you could attend HYS with that GPA and TFA experience. Stubbornly refusing just because you are ZOMG 25 and have to go NOW is ridiculously shortsighted.

thand42292

New

Post by thand42292 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Could it be advisable for the OP to deposit at UCLA or any of the T-14's off the waitlist, start studying like NOW and then retake in June for scholarship money and defer if it doesn't work? That's my hunch but I'm not entirely sure. Commentary appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Post by empyreanrrv » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:37 pm

It seems that a June can take you off waitlists and possibly increase scholarship money at the other schools on your list, but I'm not sure what would make you choose a hypothetical full ride at BU over IUB unless you wanted to specifically be in Boston or at the very least New York. Same for UCLA, Emory, etc. Your schools are really geographically diverse-- where do you want to practice? What are your career goals?

WUIAC is also spot on. You can increase your cycle this year with a good June LSAT, but you can also do wonders for it next cycle by applying early. Depending on your score, you could be looking at HYS.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:37 pm

thand42292 wrote:Could it be advisable for the OP to deposit at UCLA or any of the T-14's off the waitlist, start studying like NOW and then retake in June for scholarship money and defer if it doesn't work? That's my hunch but I'm not entirely sure. Commentary appreciated.
Last cycle people retook in June and snagged extra scholarship money or got pulled off the waitlists

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:39 pm

K Rock wrote:Where do you want to practice?

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:02 pm

If you are okay with ending up in Indiana, it's tough for me to see how you can beat the IU-Bloomington deal as long as there are no harsh stipulations on it. In fact, if you aren't wedded to big law, I honestly am not even so sure I'd take T-14 over that offer. I'm not sure what your financial status is but you could be talking 200K+ in loans to go to the T-14 schools where you are wait-listed/haven't heard back from vs. 0 at a solid flagship state school. Sure, those schools will offer you MUCH better ins to the big law community - that's not open for debate. But, taking out that kind of money means that you NEED big law just to pay off those loans. What if you don't want that life? What if you don't get it? Free school at a place like IU-Bloomington may not lead to enormous pay days but if you go there and do reasonably well...that provides you with career/life flexibility that a lot of people would dream of.
Last edited by wfudeacons2005 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

locluke02

New

Post by locluke02 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:07 pm

This is a cool place; thanks for the helpful feedback so far.

For more perspective: I'm from Indiana originally, but ideally I'd earn a law degree from a school that can place nationally. I am open to a variety of career options; biglaw is certainly attractive for the high pay and competitive environment, but working in public interest or government (or what I might typify as more meaningful/fulfilling work...not to demean or moralize anyone's career aspirations) is also a viable option were I to graduate with minimal debt.

I teach in Florida. I applied to schools across the country and would gladly go anywhere. But both my brother and father went to IU and work in the state. I do not view a career in Indy as a bad thing at all, so I do think IU-B is viable option.

My ideal practice location would be in Chicago, followed by the major coastal markets (LA or NYC).

I appreciate WUIAC's sentiment. I understand I need to prepare more rigorously, and I will do just that if I re-take in June. I simply would much rather prefer beginning law school next year. I simply am asking if it is WORTH it. If I move up to the upper 160s, it seems the general board sentiment is that might help me get accepted of WL or help in scholly negotiation. This is helpful information.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:16 pm

That's definitely helpful insight...if Chicago/NYC/LA are your goals then you really need the T-14. Re-take and push the wait-lists. None of the schools you are currently in at are going to get you to any of those places, realistically.

EDITED: Missed UCLA in your options. Obviously, they place decently in the LA market...not worth that cash though, IMO.
Last edited by wfudeacons2005 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:19 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:That's definitely helpful insight...if Chicago/NYC/LA are your goals then you really need the T-14. Re-take and push the wait-lists. None of the schools you are currently in at are going to get you to any of those places, realistically.
UCLA is a viable option for LA, though not a good idea at sticker; UCLA and Boston (College or University? not like it matters) can get you to NY, but it's an uphill battle

bchirco

New

Post by bchirco » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:36 pm

You have a GREAT GPA and with TFA it would be a travesty not to sit out a year. I know you are not in favor of it since you are 25 but believe me (for the record, I'm 27 myself and sitting out a year) having even a shot at H/Y/S or a full ride to a lower T14 is IMMENSELY huge for your future. One year of preparation is worth ~$250k. Plus let's be honest, one year will pale in comparison for the total amount of time spent in your career. How likely is it that 10 years from now you will say "man i really wish i didn't wait a year and get that full ride?"

Although the conventional recommendation for the retake is annoying, it is the difference between $250k and a coin flip chance at being a lawyer.

Don't waste that GPA or TFA. H/Y/S is calling, you going to answer?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

locluke02

New

Post by locluke02 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Any chance UCLA would reconsider its offer with an improved June LSAT?

Does anyone know if it's worthwhile to simply ask the various admissions offices what their policy is on this for students they have already accepted or waitlisted? I could always do that!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:41 pm

locluke02 wrote:Any chance UCLA would reconsider its offer with an improved June LSAT?

Does anyone know if it's worthwhile to simply ask the various admissions offices what their policy is on this for students they have already accepted or waitlisted? I could always do that!
Officially schools do not accept June LSATs. Unofficially, many schools will accept it. Don't ask, just do.

locluke02

New

Post by locluke02 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Thanks everyone. I'm going to give the June LSAT a shot, but I am happy to see many of you endorse the IU option.

maybe I'll score very high, and then I'll have some interesting options to toy with. Best of luck to everyone else, and I appreciate your thoughts.

locluke02

New

Post by locluke02 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Have to ask: What if by freak accident my June re-take doesn't turn out well. Do schools rescind offers or reduce scholarships? Does there seem to be any obvious downside to the retake option?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:55 pm

locluke02 wrote:Have to ask: What if by freak accident my June re-take doesn't turn out well. Do schools rescind offers or reduce scholarships? Does there seem to be any obvious downside to the retake option?
There is only upside when you're talking about retaking. Unless you're on the Least Amazing Race and getting through law school is a requirement to win.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:30 pm

Indiana is not a great option unless you want to practice there. But if you're okay staying there, a full ride+ stipend is a pretty good deal given your ties.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:23 pm

locluke02 wrote:I am a 163/3.85, 2nd year in Teach For America. I have twice scored the same 163. Neither time did I study a great deal because I was employed and quite busy; my job is, to be frank, somewhat crippling in terms of time and energy. Not the best excuse I realize, but I did not prepare nearly as much as is advised on these forums. I probably took 8 or 9 practice tests before the October 2012 administration. Most of these practice efforts registered between 166-169. I also dabbled with the PowerScore LG bible. I had an uncharacteristically poor showing on RC in October. Never mastered logic games and have always been weaker there.
Stopped reading here. Your GPA is awesome. The fact that you PT at 166-169 and managed to score a 163 on game day with minimal studying time means you intuitively get the LSAT. LG being your worst section is excellent. They are pretty difficult initially but with intense drilling and lots of practice they become significantly easier. I'm sure it's tough working a demanding job to find time.. but seriously.. make time. The LSAT is so important if you want to be a lawyer. I'm sure if you really studied hard for a couple months you could pull a 170. Law school is a major investment, so why not invest time and energy into studying for a test that will allow the law school investment to be worthwhile?

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Call the school you decide to attend unless you get in somewhere off the wait list and ask them what you need to score to get a bigger scholly. Some schools tell you outright what score you need and how much they are willing to increase your scholarship.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”