Deposit deadline looming at NU & crickets from rest of T14

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lmsf

Deposit deadline looming at NU & crickets from rest of T14

Postby lmsf » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:55 pm

I've been accepted to the AJD program at NU with $$$, which I'm thrilled about, but classes start in May and the deposit deadline is March 15. I haven't heard anything from the rest of the T14 schools I applied to (applied in late January) though. What should I do? Do a lot of responses usually come in the first two weeks of March? Should I call the schools and let them know the situation or would that just encourage them to ding me? I've read that sometimes you can get an extension on a deposit deadline but I also have to accept the scholarship on 3/15 and I doubt they'd hold that too.

Also, should I sent a LOCI to any of the schools? Does it make sense to do that now given that I applied in late January? Does a LOCI actually help? I don't have anything new to report but I could focus on "Why X" in it.

#firstworldproblems

Doorkeeper

Re: Deposit deadline looming at NU & crickets from rest of T14

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:16 pm

Unless the AJD deposit agreement is different, I believe that if you deposit you only have to withdraw from schools that you already have a decision from, so you can keep your applications that are pending. This would required you to put down the deposit at the risk of having to deposit somewhere else, but it is the safest bet.

lmsf

Postby lmsf » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks Doorkeeper, that's what I'm planning to do if I need to but I'm wondering if I should take a more proactive approach regarding the other schools.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:25 pm

lmsf wrote:Thanks Doorkeeper, that's what I'm planning to do if I need to but I'm wondering if I should take a more proactive approach regarding the other schools.

Nope, because their response will be "you do not need an answer, why are you rushing us?"

now, whether or not you should send LOCIs is a possibility, but it should be entirely unrelated to $$ at another school.

lmsf

Postby lmsf » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:00 am

Is a "Why X" LOCI actually helpful? It seems to me like a LOCI would only really sway an Admissions Committee if it presents meaningful new information about one's application.

Also, based on the decision date graphs it looks like most applicants hear by early April. Is that about right?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”