Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
froglee
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 am

Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby froglee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:18 am

Doing a research on job placement of non-top 14 elite law schools

So Fordham law school, a top-tier law school, ranked 29th nationally in 2012. Supposedly 6th in placement of graduates into the top 50 firms, 6th in placement for the top 25 firms, 10th for the top ten firms.

Their job place of law firms of 100 employees and above in 2011 is 106 out of the total student population of 428. This makes their ratio of students who get big law only 24.7%. And I even include the numbers of those who ar in firms of 101-250.

Lame, really lame....and this is an elite law school in New York. I've met some of their law students before, really arrogant and snobby.

So they get into a 200K debt to take a 25% winning gamble?? Sounds pretty dumb to me.
Last edited by froglee on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:22 am

So.. What is the point of this thread? Are we praising them, or hating on them? Also a 25% chance is not that bad at big law compared to other schools.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby toothbrush » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:31 am

Dmini7 wrote:So.. What is the point of this thread? Are we praising them, or hating on them? Also a 25% chance is not that bad at big law compared to other schools.

is your reading comp that bad ?

froglee
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 am

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby froglee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:39 am

Dmini7 wrote:So.. What is the point of this thread? Are we praising them, or hating on them? Also a 25% chance is not that bad at big law compared to other schools.


Do I look like praising that school? And frankly, does those "praises" mean anything more statistics? Yea, sure, compared to toilet law schools, 25% chances aren't that bad. But compared to casinos....nahhhh

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby toothbrush » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:41 am

froglee wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:So.. What is the point of this thread? Are we praising them, or hating on them? Also a 25% chance is not that bad at big law compared to other schools.


Do I look like praising that school? And frankly, does those "praises" mean anything more statistics? Yea, sure, compared to toilet law schools, 25% chances aren't that bad. But compared to casinos....nahhhh

Their #s are what they are. It's nothing like going to a casino. And you don't NEED big law.

If you don't want to go to Fordham then don't. They are ranked accordingly with their job prospects for big law taken into account.

They aren't a t14, but hey, that's what t30 gets you.

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:42 am

froglee wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:So.. What is the point of this thread? Are we praising them, or hating on them? Also a 25% chance is not that bad at big law compared to other schools.


Do I look like praising that school? And frankly, does those "praises" mean anything more statistics? Yea, sure, compared to toilet law schools, 25% chances aren't that bad. But compared to casinos....nahhhh


I can... I can almost read this...

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby toothbrush » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:44 am

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
froglee wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:So.. What is the point of this thread? Are we praising them, or hating on them? Also a 25% chance is not that bad at big law compared to other schools.


Do I look like praising that school? And frankly, does those "praises" mean anything more statistics? Yea, sure, compared to toilet law schools, 25% chances aren't that bad. But compared to casinos....nahhhh


I can... I can almost read this...

:x :lol:

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:45 am

I guess my reading comp is that bad. He states they are apparently 6th in placement in top50 firms, 6th in top 25 and 10 in top 10 firms. This would suggest we assume they are actually a great choice( he didn't provide a source so I tend to take this with a grain of salt). Then he goes on to say only 24.7% got big law, which places them in the top 20 schools for big law assuming he is using NLJ (again he keeps switching from 2011 and 2012 so it is hard to tell, yet I assume he is using 2011 due to including 101-250 firms, which suggests he used LST). Then he finishes his message with a sarcastic remark on it being an elite firm in New York, something no one believes. I realize he is trying to insult the school, but he is praising them at the same time. Anyways, if it makes you feel better to think it was a reading comprehension failure, you are free to do so. It seems to be the most value you can contribute to any form of conversation.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby toothbrush » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:55 am

Dmini7 wrote:I guess my reading comp is that bad. He states they are apparently 6th in placement in top50 firms, 6th in top 25 and 10 in top 10 firms. This would suggest we assume they are actually a great choice( he didn't provide a source so I tend to take this with a grain of salt). Then he goes on to say only 24.7% got big law, which places them in the top 20 schools for big law assuming he is using NLJ (again he keeps switching from 2011 and 2012 so it is hard to tell, yet I assume he is using 2011 due to including 101-250 firms, which suggests he used LST). Then he finishes his message with a sarcastic remark on it being an elite firm in New York, something no one believes. I realize he is trying to insult the school, but he is praising them at the same time. Anyways, if it makes you feel better to think it was a reading comprehension failure, you are free to do so. It seems to be the most value you can contribute to any form of conversation.

lul wut

his title says lame and he calls them out for having shit placement yet costing a ton

how can you confuse that with praising, honestly?

User avatar
hume85
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby hume85 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:59 am

toothbrush wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:I guess my reading comp is that bad. He states they are apparently 6th in placement in top50 firms, 6th in top 25 and 10 in top 10 firms. This would suggest we assume they are actually a great choice( he didn't provide a source so I tend to take this with a grain of salt). Then he goes on to say only 24.7% got big law, which places them in the top 20 schools for big law assuming he is using NLJ (again he keeps switching from 2011 and 2012 so it is hard to tell, yet I assume he is using 2011 due to including 101-250 firms, which suggests he used LST). Then he finishes his message with a sarcastic remark on it being an elite firm in New York, something no one believes. I realize he is trying to insult the school, but he is praising them at the same time. Anyways, if it makes you feel better to think it was a reading comprehension failure, you are free to do so. It seems to be the most value you can contribute to any form of conversation.

lul wut

his title says lame and he calls them out for having shit placement yet costing a ton

how can you confuse that with praising, honestly?

.
Last edited by hume85 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby StylinNProfilin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:59 am

OP where have u been the last 4 years? This isnt new information to anyone. Law school is a huge financial gamble.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:04 pm

toothbrush wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:I guess my reading comp is that bad. He states they are apparently 6th in placement in top50 firms, 6th in top 25 and 10 in top 10 firms. This would suggest we assume they are actually a great choice( he didn't provide a source so I tend to take this with a grain of salt). Then he goes on to say only 24.7% got big law, which places them in the top 20 schools for big law assuming he is using NLJ (again he keeps switching from 2011 and 2012 so it is hard to tell, yet I assume he is using 2011 due to including 101-250 firms, which suggests he used LST). Then he finishes his message with a sarcastic remark on it being an elite firm in New York, something no one believes. I realize he is trying to insult the school, but he is praising them at the same time. Anyways, if it makes you feel better to think it was a reading comprehension failure, you are free to do so. It seems to be the most value you can contribute to any form of conversation.

lul wut

his title says lame and he calls them out for having shit placement yet costing a ton

how can you confuse that with praising, honestly?


I understand what you mean, but if you were told a school was in the top 10 for each of those three categories it only seems reasonable to be confused for the purpose. Also, his post never addresses other schools. I guess if you were to make the assumption all law schools have terrible placement and are unwise decisions then it works out. But then we are back at square one, we learned nothing new and he is just repeating what all of TLS believes, which again brings me to the point of: what is the point of this thread?

If you read my last post entirely I said I understand he is trying to insult them. I got that point, but he does state what would appear to be good things to someone on the outside, hence why I thought it still came off as offering some praise. It appears that we are not going to agree on this subject and that is fine with me.
Last edited by Dmini7 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exitoptions
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:58 am

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby exitoptions » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:05 pm

froglee wrote:Doing a research on job placement of non-top 14 elite law schools

So Fordham law school, a top-tier law school, ranked 29th nationally in 2012. Supposedly 6th in placement of graduates into the top 50 firms, 6th in placement for the top 25 firms, 10th for the top ten firms.

Their job place of law firms of 100 employees and above in 2011 is 106 out of the total student population of 428. This makes their ratio of students who get big law only 24.7%. And I even include the numbers of those who ar in firms of 101-250.

Lame, really lame....and this is an elite law school in New York. I've met some of their law students before, really arrogant and snobby.

So they get into a 200K debt to take a 25% winning gamble?? Sounds pretty dumb to me.


No one considers FU elite...

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby guano » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:14 pm

froglee wrote:Supposedly 6th in placement of graduates into the top 50 firms, 6th in placement for the top 25 firms, 10th for the top ten firms.

Say what? This is in no way correct. Fordham is ranked approximately 17-21th for placement, not 6th.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby timbs4339 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:32 pm

If all you want to do is work biglaw then there are about 10 schools that will give you more of a coin flip's chance. USNWR is worthless. Not news.

User avatar
bowser
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby bowser » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:40 pm

guano wrote:
froglee wrote:Supposedly 6th in placement of graduates into the top 50 firms, 6th in placement for the top 25 firms, 10th for the top ten firms.

Say what? This is in no way correct. Fordham is ranked approximately 17-21th for placement, not 6th.


If you only use a metric like V10 or V25 or whatever, Fordham usually comes out in the top 10, because almost all of their grads who get Biglaw go to big NY law firms which are ranked high.

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13836
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby star fox » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:06 pm

New York has too many law schools. Even if people at the TT/TTT don't get jobs for the most part there's probably enough sons of partners and other connections to take a decent size chunk of available jobs away from Fordham grads who aren't as connected.

froglee
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 am

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby froglee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:05 pm

guano wrote:
froglee wrote:Supposedly 6th in placement of graduates into the top 50 firms, 6th in placement for the top 25 firms, 10th for the top ten firms.

Say what? This is in no way correct. Fordham is ranked approximately 17-21th for placement, not 6th.


Well, I got all my numbers on the rankings from wikipedia.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby guano » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:19 pm

froglee wrote:
guano wrote:
froglee wrote:Supposedly 6th in placement of graduates into the top 50 firms, 6th in placement for the top 25 firms, 10th for the top ten firms.

Say what? This is in no way correct. Fordham is ranked approximately 17-21th for placement, not 6th.


Well, I got all my numbers on the rankings from wikipedia.

next time try the NLJ250, NALP or the ABA.

locthebloke
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby locthebloke » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:53 am

Welcome to reality, OP. I take it you must be new to the ugly truth of law school and the legal profession.. Fordham isn't an elite law school and there's nothing about it that suggests it is. If its placement and prospects are what they are, then it is what it is. The State of New York is home to Cornell, NYU and Columbia. Fordham is second rate there and anywhere. Period.

Don't worry, OP. Those arrogant, delusional Fordham snobs won't be so arrogant when when they graduate and their six figure debt weighs on them as they can't find any semblance of gainful legal employment. They will be behind students from every one of those schools I listed in the interview line, plus other Ivy grads who all flock to the highly desirable and highly saturated NY market.

At least you're smart and prudent enough to have a grasp of just how bad of an idea law school is unlike so many delusional would-bes who still have the rose colored glasses on..

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby guano » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:59 am

locthebloke wrote:They will be behind...other Ivy grads who all flock to the highly desirable and highly saturated NY market

Princeton, Brown or Dartmouth?

locthebloke
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby locthebloke » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:51 am

guano wrote:
locthebloke wrote:They will be behind...other Ivy grads who all flock to the highly desirable and highly saturated NY market

Princeton, Brown or Dartmouth?


Harvard and Yale?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby romothesavior » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:26 pm

This thread is stupid. No one considers Fordham "elite." And none of this is news.

Fordham outplaces most of their peers, so they actually are better than their ranking suggests. But the problem with Fordham, IMO, is the cost coupled with their stinginess. The school is week on scholarships and is located in one of the most expensive cities on the planet. I think this easily offsets the higher placement data.

OP, did this really warrant a thread? None of this is noteworthy at all. Its common knowledge.

kryptix
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby kryptix » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:43 am

How is any of this news, Fordham places well at Skadden, S&C etc so they will always be top 10 in placements at top Vault firms (because they place well in NYC where most top Vault firms are), and almost everyone who gets biglaw from Fordham goes to a V50 if not a V100. You have to remember though that a lot of firms who's main offices are outside of NYC have their rankings deflated in Vault so your picking a statistic that really helps Fordham when you try to bash them.

Go to Fordham if you have money or plan on working as an evening student. Its probably not worth it otherwise.

User avatar
jvincent11
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Fordham's and others Biglaw employment data----lame....

Postby jvincent11 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:13 am

Coming from a New Yorker, Fordham Law is prestigious. Maybe not on this forum because of the obsession with T14, but there are more than 14 law schools in the country. Schools such as Fordham, BC, ND, GW are elite schools just not the best of the best.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests