Would you turn down HYS for SO & CCN Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Would you turn down HYS for CCN & SO?

Yes
45%
No
43%
H and/or S but not Y
12%

Total votes: 93

Ti Malice

Gold

Re: Would you turn down HYS for SO & CCN

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:25 pm

the lantern wrote:1) couldn't you conceivably commute from NYC to Yale (not sure how class scheduling works there, so maybe it wouldn't be possible)? I mean.. not that it would be ideal, but personally, if I could get into Yale, I would want to go there. And if my SO lived in NYC, I would want to live with him/her, so I'd do whatever it took to make it work (if such a thing were possible).
Yes, this is more than possible. Several people here live in NYC. Even in my class (1L), a friend of mine lives with his wife in Manhattan and commutes. But we obviously don't know if this is the situation in question, since OP is being so ridiculously, unnecessarily coy about revealing the two schools involved.
Last edited by Ti Malice on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:29 pm

This is simple. If it's Stanford and you're quite sure you're going to marry and have a future with this girl then no, pick CCN with a huge scholarship.

If it's Harvard or Yale then you're not far from NY and picking the best school and being with your SO don't have to be mutually exclusive.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:55 am

KillerGerbil wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:I don't understand how OP went from wanting something "that HYS will give a significant boost with" to "I don't care what I do after graduating." How are these ideas compatible?
You misquoted me. I said I care much less about what I do after graduating than where I go to school. There is no contradiction. I have preferences, but I believe I would enjoy a legal career in almost all areas. My opinions/open mindedness may change as I begin to study law formally, and I recognize that if they do, HYS offers more options.
Okay, but the point remains. What is it that you want?

The reason to go to HYS over CCN is because it might open better job prospects. So if you are open to working in "almost all areas," then why would you want to move away from your significant other just to go to HYS? You can only have one job when you graduate, so if you're more or less indifferent as between any two legal jobs, what benefit is there to going to the school that might give you the option of choosing between three of them instead? I guess the issue is that it makes extremely little sense to care more about where you go to law school than what you will do when you graduate. It's professional school.

If you think that having "Harvard" on your diploma or whatever pleasures spending three years at a top-three rather than top-six law school will give you is worth moving away from a serious partner for three years, then do it. Personally, I think it seems silly unless you have more concrete reasons.

tino1317

New

Post by tino1317 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:06 am

Jesus Christ talk about first world problems. For all of you pencil neck weenies telling op to go to HYS when it clearly wouldn't make him happy, gtfo. Op you seem like you aren't too sure about what you want for your future aside from your SO. It's pretty clear that you made your decision before you posted this. Pretty clear cut if I'm in your shoes, although you do seem to be a more sentimental person than I am. The one piece of advice I will give you before you send in your deposit is this: ask yourself if she loves you more than you love her. If you feel like it's the other way around I would seriously reconsider your options and plans given you have said you would relocate for her again after you both get the degrees. Good luck man, CCN+money HOW FUCKING TERRIBLE, SEE YOU AT THE UNEMPLOYMENT LINE JEDI SCUM

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:09 am

tino1317 wrote:Jesus Christ talk about first world problems. For all of you pencil neck weenies telling op to go to HYS when it clearly wouldn't make him happy, gtfo. Op you seem like you aren't too sure about what you want for your future aside from your SO. It's pretty clear that you made your decision before you posted this. Pretty clear cut if I'm in your shoes, although you do seem to be a more sentimental person than I am. The one piece of advice I will give you before you send in your deposit is this: ask yourself if she loves you more than you love her. If you feel like it's the other way around I would seriously reconsider your options and plans given you have said you would relocate for her again after you both get the degrees. Good luck man, CCN+money HOW FUCKING TERRIBLE, SEE YOU AT THE UNEMPLOYMENT LINE JEDI SCUM
Chill out turbo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Davidbentley

Bronze

Post by Davidbentley » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:18 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
tino1317 wrote:Jesus Christ talk about first world problems. For all of you pencil neck weenies telling op to go to HYS when it clearly wouldn't make him happy, gtfo. Op you seem like you aren't too sure about what you want for your future aside from your SO. It's pretty clear that you made your decision before you posted this. Pretty clear cut if I'm in your shoes, although you do seem to be a more sentimental person than I am. The one piece of advice I will give you before you send in your deposit is this: ask yourself if she loves you more than you love her. If you feel like it's the other way around I would seriously reconsider your options and plans given you have said you would relocate for her again after you both get the degrees. Good luck man, CCN+money HOW FUCKING TERRIBLE, SEE YOU AT THE UNEMPLOYMENT LINE JEDI SCUM
Chill out turbo.
+1

OP, HYS or CC with money is a difficult decision. Whatever you do, don't put that shit on someone else. You may end up with not only regret, but also resentment. Sack up and decide based on what's best for you.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:22 am

I read this whole thread trying to find genders

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:48 am

I read this whole thread trying to find genders
Haha same. Failed.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:56 am

OP is obviously female

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:23 pm

I also don't understand why you wont specify the schools.

If it were me and my fiancée, I would definitely not go to Stanford, and definitely would go to Yale if she were in NY, and very likely Harvard too. If she were in Chicago, it would be a tougher decision, but I'd probably still do it (I know at least one person doing this at Yale right now). But that's just me, and we've already done a year long distance with relatively little complication, so we at least know we can do it.

GeneralMuffin

New

Post by GeneralMuffin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Replying as I'm currently in a similar situation, and we will likely go with long distance. By the time school starts we will have been together for 4+ years, living together for 2. We did a year of semi-long distance in college.

The way we see it, we plan to eventually get married, and it is worth dealing with 3 years of crappiness to ultimately put our family in a better position in the long run.

I'm currently set on Harvard (with serious consideration for Columbia/NYU), he has decided on Georgetown. A very important factor in our decision is that neither one wants to hold the other back- I wouldn't ask him to turn down Georgetown in favor of BU/BC, and he wouldn't ask me to turn down Harvard for Georgetown. Not only would it feel incredibly selfish to ask, I worry that it would breed resentment in the partner who had to "settle."

Right now, we're also focusing on the positives. We'll each get to know a different city. We will be more open to meeting new friends since we won't have each other as go-to weekend plans. We will be able to fill our schedules with classes, volunteering, clubs, etc, without worrying like we're neglecting each other (sidenote - I hate working overtime when I know he is at home waiting for me. When he is also busy or out of town, I don't mind nearly as much). At the end of the day he will be a phone/Skype call (or at worst, a 1.5 hour plane ride) away.

But as others have said, it ultimately comes down to what you are most comfortable with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”