American (most likely at sticker) or UNH ($25,000/year) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ManoftheHour

Gold

Re: American (most likely at sticker) or UNH ($25,000/year)

Post by ManoftheHour » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:20 am

Method of Madness wrote:You know what? I've been an asshole and I apologize. I'm gonna give it some thought but I think I'll end up retaking. I didn't study enough in October, I'm sure I can do much better on the June LSATs if I start prepping now, and after that I'll look for a job for the next year.
I'm with you brotha. Let's get that 170 this June. We have three months and 9 days.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:42 am

empyreanrrv wrote:If only all of these threads ended like this...
Haha seriously. When people start off these threads with "Don't tell me to retake" or "Not retaking," you know you're in for a treat.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:17 am

This thread made my day brighter.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:33 am

North wrote:This thread made my day brighter.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:09 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
North wrote:This thread made my day brighter.
Seriously, +1. If only they were all this easy.

Waiting is the best decision you'll ever make OP. American at sticker is one of the worst law school investments anyone could ever make, and UNH (even with scholarship) isn't great either. If you devote yourself to studying and improving your LSAT, you will have a much better chance at success in this field.

And welcome to TLS. This site is an awesome resource for LSAT prep and beyond. Check out the LSAT forum and figure out a study plan that will work for you. Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:23 pm

If there were TLS angels, they'd be singing to the heavens right now...

Oh wait, Jenesaislaw already did. NVM.

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:52 pm

Something that'd be good to know, will I have to get new letters of recommendation or will the ones I used still be available on LSAC?

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Method of Madness wrote:Something that'd be good to know, will I have to get new letters of recommendation or will the ones I used still be available on LSAC?
They'll still be good. They'll be there for you to use as long as your CAS is still active (five years after you buy it).

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:58 pm

They'll still work because LSAC has them on file and your account won't expire for several years. If you were reapplying to these schools it could potentially be awkward, but they'll quickly forget about it with your much higher LSAT and the rest will hopefully be bright, shiny first-time applications to solid regionals and maybe T14.

LoRs are ultimately rarely a difference maker unless your letter writer has their name on a building on campus, so just take those as a part of your application painting a picture of who you are. Unless you acquire better ones in the interim, rely on your original ones and don't sweat it in the least.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Method of Madness wrote:Something that'd be good to know, will I have to get new letters of recommendation or will the ones I used still be available on LSAC?
LSAC wrote:Letters and evaluations sent to LSAC remain the property of LSAC and will remain active for the life of your file. Letters and evaluations will be neither returned to nor copied for the candidate.
Directly from LSAC

Scooped hard.

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks! Also, update: I signed up for the June LSAT today, and this time I got a fee waiver! I'll check out the thread that was linked earlier later this week and start prepping.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Method of Madness wrote:Thanks! Also, update: I signed up for the June LSAT today, and this time I got a fee waiver! I'll check out the thread that was linked earlier later this week and start prepping.
Nice. Just got signed up for it too! I'm retaking my LSAT as well, brother. Good luck!

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Method of Madness wrote:Thanks! Also, update: I signed up for the June LSAT today, and this time I got a fee waiver! I'll check out the thread that was linked earlier later this week and start prepping.
You are easily the most receptive "Choosing a Law School" thread starter I have seen in my time on here. Kudos and thank you for a refreshingly open-mind when compared to the "justify the horrible decision I'm about to make" threads.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:14 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:"justify the horrible decision I'm about to make"
I have way too many people for that already, and I'm not looking forward to telling everyone "yeah, I got into a tier 1 school but I'm going to wait a year and try to do better." Even though that sounds perfectly logical, you wouldn't believe (well, no, you probably would) how many people will say "but you got into a tier 1 school!" and give me grief for not going.

That's not to say I'm going to listen to them, because it's well-mean but horrible advice from people who know nothing about law school, but still.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Method of Madness wrote:
I have way too many people for that already, and I'm not looking forward to telling everyone "yeah, I got into a tier 1 school but I'm going to wait a year and try to do better." Even though that sounds perfectly logical, you wouldn't believe (well, no, you probably would) how many people will say "but you got into a tier 1 school!" and give me grief for not going.

That's not to say I'm going to listen to them, because it's well-mean but horrible advice from people who know nothing about law school, but still.
+1. My father-in-law is convinced I'm destined to make it rain because I got into GULC. Not trying to trash on GULC in particular, but the legal market makes it incredibly hard to succeed from even the highest echelons of academia, no matter how you define it.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Method of Madness wrote:Yes. I'm really sorry about that, I guess I didn't want to be convinced not to start even if that was clearly my best move. Again, thanks people. Especially thanks for ignoring my unreasonable request.
Study hard and good luck on your retake. Aim as high as you can and don't let anyone tell you what score you can get. Neither of these schools is worth attending even for free and I can tell from your posts you're much smarter than the suckers who take these deals.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Method of Madness wrote:

You can always sort of blunt this by telling them how much it costs and that you want to get a scholarship. Doesn't help those who think that you'll be paying that off with the money in your cushions after making $1 million two years after graduation, but a lot of people simply don't know that it costs 200K+.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:16 pm

MOD EDIT

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:50 pm

timbs4339 wrote:You can always sort of blunt this by telling them how much it costs and that you want to get a scholarship. Doesn't help those who think that you'll be paying that off with the money in your cushions after making $1 million two years after graduation, but a lot of people simply don't know that it costs 200K+.
Good call.

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Hopefully I won't have to, but if I take the test in June as well and could do better, would it look bad if I took it a third time in October?

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Post by empyreanrrv » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:01 pm

No. Schools will take the highest, so no reason not to take it in October.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:02 pm

Method of Madness wrote:Hopefully I won't have to, but if I take the test in June as well and could do better, would it look bad if I took it a third time in October?
Not at all. Tons of people from TLS have had extremely successful admissions cycles after taking the LSAT three and even FOUR times. Outside of HYS, schools only care about your highest score. Absolutely plan on trying again in October if you don't do as well as you'd like.

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks, Woke. That's good to know, especially since my LSAT fee waiver was approved today, and apparently it's for two tests. I got a 159 the first time, but I didn't study much. Is it the least bit possible to get a 10-15 point bump if I study enough? And by enough I mean a lot. (I only took two practice tests the first time, the first was a 155 and the second was a 159)

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:18 pm

Method of Madness wrote:Thanks, Woke. That's good to know, especially since my LSAT fee waiver was approved today, and apparently it's for two tests. I got a 159 the first time, but I didn't study much. Is it the least bit possible to get a 10-15 point bump if I study enough? And by enough I mean a lot.
YES!!! Check out the LSAT prep & discussion board, lots of retake success stories :)

Method of Madness

New

Post by Method of Madness » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Will do! I just hope being a splitter doesn't hurt my chances too bad (I only had a 3.36 and I'm a few years out of college, so "do better next semester" isn't really an option.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”