Hastings LEOP worth sticker?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bchirco

Hastings LEOP worth sticker?

Postby bchirco » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:46 pm

Hey all,

I know the conventional wisdom is retake, which I plan on doing. I was just wondering if there was a consensus for the LEOP students. I have heard very good things about the program. Is it worth it at sticker price?

bchirco

Re: Hastings LEOP worth sticker?

Postby bchirco » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:11 pm

Any input??

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:15 pm

Leop students get a bit of help. I know a student who loved it. But they still graduate with Hastings degrees just like everyone else. So I think Hastings at sticker isn't seen as a great idea.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:22 pm

It sounds like a great program, but the objective answer is no, not in any circumstance (except dad is a lawyer w a job for you but if that was the case you probably wouldn't get into the program).

It is nice that Hastings offers the program, but in some ways it is really disingenuous for them to offer this as a way to entice low-income students but then expect them to pay 200K for a degree that simply isn't worth that much. IMO the program should come with more non-loan financial aid.

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:15 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:It sounds like a great program, but the objective answer is no, not in any circumstance (except dad is a lawyer w a job for you but if that was the case you probably wouldn't get into the program).

It is nice that Hastings offers the program, but in some ways it is really disingenuous for them to offer this as a way to entice low-income students but then expect them to pay 200K for a degree that simply isn't worth that much. IMO the program should come with more non-loan financial aid.

This is kind of how I feel. I hear the program is excellent, and with a decent scholarship I would think it would be a pretty good option for the bay area. I really do like the holistic approach as well. It's just the price is scary :(.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:05 pm

bchirco wrote:Hey all,

I know the conventional wisdom is retake, which I plan on doing. I was just wondering if there was a consensus for the LEOP students. I have heard very good things about the program. Is it worth it at sticker price?

I had never heard of this program before, but in the 10 minutes of google research I've done, it seems like LEOP confers no advantage whatsoever in becoming gainfully employed as a lawyer. I also don't see anything about any kind of tuition discount. If this program was truly about the students of disadvantaged backgrounds, why do they force them to take out $200,000 or more in educational loans?

This sounds about as substantial as any other silly clinic/program at any other law school. When people are arguing about whether to pay sticker at top 10 law schools that actually place more than half their graduates into lawyer jobs, I would seriously question the possibility of attending a school like Hastings at sticker amid rampant tuition hikes and terrible job placement.

Is there some key piece of information I'm missing here? Do they take you from this program and hand you over to hot-shot bay area firms? Because if all it does is "enhance your legal education experience" it sounds like it's just a euphemism for robbery.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:09 pm

From my understanding it's aimed at helping URM, First generation, or lower SES students be successful in law school. The boost comes from hopefully doing better than you would have otherwise (thus hopefully better employment outcomes). They provide extra support, study groups, etc. Clearly, the extra help doesn't guarantee you do well, but it can't hurt to have a support network/extra help. The program is only a plus if you get $$$ also. If you don't get $$$, then it isn't as great.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”