UMN / GWU / Emory / UC Irvine / UGA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kacy

UMN / GWU / Emory / UC Irvine / UGA

Postby kacy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:27 am

Hi all,

Please help me get some perspective on my situation..

ADMITTED School - Scholly (approx. CoA) so far..

UMN - $75k ($111k)
GWU - $30k ($202k)
Emory - $66k ($148k)
UC Irvine - NONE (at least not yet...)
UGA - $22.5k ($70k resident tuition)

WAITLISTED school: Georgetown & Fordham

My numbers: LSAT-167 GPA-3.4

Extra info... I live in GA right now but I was hoping I can leave.
I have no idea what kind of law I want to pursue... just yet...
I'm still waiting to hear back from 6 more schools.. but I'm not too hopeful b/c they are mostly t14 schools.

Any thoughts?

nmcdgt

Re: UMN / GWU / Emory / UC Irvine / UGA

Postby nmcdgt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:29 am

I can't speak to all of the schools, but if you don't want to stay in Georgia then I wouldn't recommend going to UGA. Honestly, I really wouldn't recommend Emory either if you are sure you don't want to be in Georgia; it can get you elsewhere (NY/DC), but you're going to need pretty solid grades for that. My gut also tells me that as a peer school with Emory, $202k (an extra 60k) is a lot to pay for GW, unless you're dying to live/work in DC, which is a very tough market.

UC Irvine and UMN I don't really know much about, but unless you want to work in CA or MN respectively I'm not sure they are a good fit.

The first thing you need to do is determine where you really do want to work long term, because all of the schools on that list are really regional schools. If you are at the top of your class Emory and GW would probably give you the most "mobility," but even then you're really going to be looking at the same markets (NY, DC, and GA).

locthebloke

Postby locthebloke » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:42 am

If the scholarship is guaranteed, then Minnesota with that money is by *far* the best option if that CoA estimate includes living cost.

The rest of them aren't good options.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:30 am

locthebloke wrote:If the scholarship is guaranteed, then Minnesota with that money is by *far* the best option if that CoA estimate includes living cost.

Lol.

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:17 pm

locthebloke wrote:If the scholarship is guaranteed, then Minnesota with that money is by *far* the best option if that CoA estimate includes living cost.

How so? Unless OP wants to live in Minnesota, this doesn't really make sense. This is especially true since he/she lives in GA now, and thus that's where his/her ties are; UMN probably isn't going to get you back to GA, so if you're going to go there you should plan on being there for the long haul.

hopingtogetin

Postby hopingtogetin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:36 pm

I can't speak to too many of the other schools, but I would warn you that GW is a very expensive investment. Living near the school in Foggy Bottom is extremely pricy, as is living in DC in general. If you are looking to stay out of debt but attend a peer school, perhaps your best option would be UMN. $202k is a lot to pay for a school that is not the top school in its region. You could also wait to see if you can get off the Gtown waitlist--if you're priority waitlist at Gtown you'd probably be in pretty good shape to get offered a spot there.

kacy

Postby kacy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:26 am

Thanks guys, it seems like the consensus is that GW UMN and EMORY are all regional peer schools and job prospect out of those schools is not that great... I've posted a new post considering retaking LSAT in June. Please let me know what you guys think! Thank you for replying!

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:21 am

don't go to TTTT uc irvine

kacy

Postby kacy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:03 am

Dr. Dre wrote:don't go to TTTT uc irvine

Why do you say that Dr. Dre?
Is it because it's still a newborn and it has yet to proven itself? or is there anything else significant that I don't know about?

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:33 pm

It's unranked in an a top 3 consensus over-saturated market.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:44 am

TheThriller wrote:It's unranked in an a top 3 consensus over-saturated market.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:23 pm

Either UGA and be satisfied with Georgia or retake. Otherwise you're looking at expensive regional options where you lack ties, which would be a terrible decision.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:31 pm

You haven't added cost of living, have you.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:36 pm

kacy wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:don't go to TTTT uc irvine

Why do you say that Dr. Dre?
Is it because it's still a newborn and it has yet to proven itself? or is there anything else significant that I don't know about?

Having no alum is a big disadvantage.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:04 pm

Nova wrote:Having no alum is a big disadvantage.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:26 pm

kacy wrote:Thanks guys, it seems like the consensus is that GW UMN and EMORY are all regional peer schools and job prospect out of those schools is not that great... I've posted a new post considering retaking LSAT in June. Please let me know what you guys think! Thank you for replying!

You should really be squeezing these schools for more money. There is still plenty of room there. Also, if you have an idea of what type of law you're looking to go into, that can help the decision process a bit. I'm a current 1L @ GW- feel free to PM with questions.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”