Oregon or Seattle?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nikkiblast
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Oregon or Seattle?

Postby nikkiblast » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi guys,
I got accepted into both Univ of Oregon and Seattle Univ. I know their rankings are the same and their employment scores are almost the same as well. The only difference is the tuition costs and that the Univ of Oregon is a public school whereas Seattle is private.
Which one do you think is the better choice? Thanks!

User avatar
Nickg415
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby Nickg415 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:08 pm

nikkiblast wrote:Hi guys,
I got accepted into both Univ of Oregon and Seattle Univ. I know their rankings are the same and their employment scores are almost the same as well. The only difference is the tuition costs and that the Univ of Oregon is a public school whereas Seattle is private.
Which one do you think is the better choice? Thanks!


I've lived in Eugene for a few years so my opinion may be slightly biased but from the lawyers I have spoken with and having looked at the major Oren law firm's associate bios it seems like most of them came from UofO or Lewis&Clark. The very minimal TLS wisdom on this subject seems to suggest that these are the two main market law schools in Oregon. This paired with the fact that Seattle is probably more expensive leads me to say that UofO is probably the better of the two schools. When I applied this cycle I only applied to UofO because that was the only school I would consider attending in Oregon.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:09 pm

What is total cost of attendance at each, and how much are you debt financing.

Also, do you have significant ties to Oregon and/or Washington?

nikkiblast
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby nikkiblast » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Tuition:
Seattle: $39,810
Oregon: $35,374

I was doing some research and Oregon seemed like a better choice, as well. I have no ties to Washington or Oregon, I'm from Canada. I don't know whether I've gotten any scholarships yet, I haven't received the package yet.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Wait for scholarships because right now neither is worth attending.

User avatar
Nickg415
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby Nickg415 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:28 pm

nikkiblast wrote:Tuition:
Seattle: $39,810
Oregon: $35,374

I was doing some research and Oregon seemed like a better choice, as well. I have no ties to Washington or Oregon, I'm from Canada. I don't know whether I've gotten any scholarships yet, I haven't received the package yet.


Have a friend that is working in Eugene right now that started out as a lawyer in B.C. He worked big law prior to moving to the states and has stayed in Oregon since moving. A few things to consider:

1)My friend, while evidence that it is possible to get to Oregon without ties, should be considered an exception because he had big law experience and made the move when the industry was strong

2)Oregon is VERY insular. Its an uphill battle to convince the interviewers that you WANT to stay in Oregon.

3)UofO and Lewis and Clark are not good schools. Basically you would be betting on being the exception.

User avatar
bobbypin
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby bobbypin » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Nickg415 wrote:UofO and Lewis and Clark are not good schools.


Why do you say this?

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby nickb285 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:54 pm

bobbypin wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:UofO and Lewis and Clark are not good schools.


Why do you say this?


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=seattle
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=oregon

Both schools give you less than a 40% chance of working as a lawyer upon graduation--and that's any job as a lawyer. Once you start talking salaries, the chances of you making enough to pay off your debt without having a top-notch scholarship (by which I mean a full ride or close to it, with no stipulations) is almost nonexistent.

bchirco
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby bchirco » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:52 pm

I would suggest UofO over Seattle. HOWEVER, as you have read, their job prospects upon graduation are simply horrible. In fact, most 30-100 schools only offer you about a coin-flips chance at best to get a good job upon graduation. Given this, you should really not consider attending without significant scholarships. If you aren't going for nearly free you are flirting with financial suicide. I know that UofO is a great school in general but the law game is horrible all around. Just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Good luck :D

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:58 pm

nickb285 wrote:
bobbypin wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:UofO and Lewis and Clark are not good schools.


Why do you say this?


http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=seattle
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=oregon

Both schools give you less than a 40% chance of working as a lawyer upon graduation--and that's any job as a lawyer. Once you start talking salaries, the chances of you making enough to pay off your debt without having a top-notch scholarship (by which I mean a full ride or close to it, with no stipulations) is almost nonexistent.


Agreed. If those are the two options you're considering, you might want to consider retaking the LSAT; a full-ride would make either of those schools much more prudent choices than they currently are.

But if you're absolutely dead set on attending one of these schools, you're probably better off with U of Oregon.

User avatar
Rory19
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:14 am

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby Rory19 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:23 pm

I am based in Eugene right now and after speaking to hiring managers at locals firms Oregon is insular, however, it is easier to get a job in Oregon with a UO diploma then it is to try to enter the market after moving away and returning with a law degree from a different state. I think you could enter the market with enough support and initiative on your part from the Career Center.

I know this is only anecdotal but my friends who attend the UO say that getting a job is easy if you apply yourself to networking and other opportunities but the problem is that many people here sit back and do not take an active role in their education and expect to be handed a job which just does not happen in Oregon.

Also, my rent is $365 a month here in a nice home with a garage, yard for the pup and roommates which I do not think is even possible in Seattle.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby 052220151 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:35 pm

Rory19 wrote:I am based in Eugene right now and after speaking to hiring managers at locals firms Oregon is insular, however, it is easier to get a job in Oregon with a UO diploma then it is to try to enter the market after moving away and returning with a law degree from a different state. I think you could enter the market with enough support and initiative on your part from the Career Center.

I know this is only anecdotal but my friends who attend the UO say that getting a job is easy if you apply yourself to networking and other opportunities but the problem is that many people here sit back and do not take an active role in their education and expect to be handed a job which just does not happen in Oregon.

Also, my rent is $365 a month here in a nice home with a garage, yard for the pup and roommates which I do not think is even possible in Seattle.


Not if it's T14. T14 + Oregon roots is the best way to get employed here.

User avatar
Nickg415
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby Nickg415 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:17 pm

deputydog wrote:
Rory19 wrote:I am based in Eugene right now and after speaking to hiring managers at locals firms Oregon is insular, however, it is easier to get a job in Oregon with a UO diploma then it is to try to enter the market after moving away and returning with a law degree from a different state. I think you could enter the market with enough support and initiative on your part from the Career Center.

I know this is only anecdotal but my friends who attend the UO say that getting a job is easy if you apply yourself to networking and other opportunities but the problem is that many people here sit back and do not take an active role in their education and expect to be handed a job which just does not happen in Oregon.

Also, my rent is $365 a month here in a nice home with a garage, yard for the pup and roommates which I do not think is even possible in Seattle.


Not if it's T14. T14 + Oregon roots is the best way to get employed here.


UO prowess is mainly focused in Eugene. In Portland it is not as dominant of a firm and takes second to the T14. In Portland it goes T-14 > UO= Lewis and Clark > all others. From what I have heard you need ties or you need to convince them that you want to stay in Oregon for the long term.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby dr123 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:29 pm

SU has terrible employment prospects. I'd say the Washington hierarchy would be UW > Gonzaga > Seattle.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby 052220151 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:16 pm

Nickg415 wrote:
deputydog wrote:
Rory19 wrote:I am based in Eugene right now and after speaking to hiring managers at locals firms Oregon is insular, however, it is easier to get a job in Oregon with a UO diploma then it is to try to enter the market after moving away and returning with a law degree from a different state. I think you could enter the market with enough support and initiative on your part from the Career Center.

I know this is only anecdotal but my friends who attend the UO say that getting a job is easy if you apply yourself to networking and other opportunities but the problem is that many people here sit back and do not take an active role in their education and expect to be handed a job which just does not happen in Oregon.

Also, my rent is $365 a month here in a nice home with a garage, yard for the pup and roommates which I do not think is even possible in Seattle.


Not if it's T14. T14 + Oregon roots is the best way to get employed here.


UO prowess is mainly focused in Eugene. In Portland it is not as dominant of a firm and takes second to the T14. In Portland it goes T-14 > UO= Lewis and Clark > all others. From what I have heard you need ties or you need to convince them that you want to stay in Oregon for the long term.


Agreed for the most part except that L&C is better than UO in Portland. This is moot for most people though, because no ties = no job.

ETA - L&C is slightly better than UO, neither is great.

nikkiblast
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby nikkiblast » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks for all of your comments, very much appreciated!!
I recently got accepted to Univ of San Diego as well. What are your opinions on San Diego?

bchirco
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby bchirco » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:19 pm

nikkiblast wrote:Thanks for all of your comments, very much appreciated!!
I recently got accepted to Univ of San Diego as well. What are your opinions on San Diego?



Way too expensive. If you aren't willing to retake... go with the cheapest option in the region you want to work in. U of O is such a beautiful school but the job prospects are terrifying :(

nikkiblast
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Re: Oregon or Seattle?

Postby nikkiblast » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:22 pm

bchirco wrote:
nikkiblast wrote:Thanks for all of your comments, very much appreciated!!
I recently got accepted to Univ of San Diego as well. What are your opinions on San Diego?



Way too expensive. If you aren't willing to retake... go with the cheapest option in the region you want to work in. U of O is such a beautiful school but the job prospects are terrifying :(


Yeah, I definitely agree with the job prospects, so scary!!! :shock: :cry:
I'm Canadian so anywhere I end up will be out of state. I don't mind Washington or Oregon, but California is my number one place to work and live in the future.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests