Fordham vs. William and Mary

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
iditarod
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby iditarod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 pm

North wrote:
iditarod wrote:
North wrote:
scrappydoo716 wrote:And say per some chance I do receive those grades (top 15% or so) then is the risk worth it?

If I win the lottery, is buying a ticket worth the risk?

There's an 85% chance that you won't be in the top 15%.


This is not necessarily true and hack tls groupthink. if OP has a record of hitting the top 15% in his hs and undergrad and has an above median LSAT (which it sounds like he does), then he has a much better than 15% shot of hitting this mark.

No.

Pretty much every single person in OP's class will be able to say exactly the same thing. Think about it, dude.


Lol @ pretty much every single person in OP's class will have above median LSAT

There are so many people outside the tls bubble who are just happy to be at law school and aren't gunning for top 15%. While I agree that banking on top 15% is not smart, the idea that there's an 85% chance of him failing is a joke.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:27 pm

iditarod wrote:There are so many people outside the tls bubble who are just happy to be at law school and aren't gunning for top 15%.

Nope.

iditarod
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby iditarod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:28 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:Even if we grant that above median LSAT students have a slightly better shot at above median grades is that really something the OP or whoever are gonna roll the dice on. People with above LSAT medians finish with below median grades sometimes and if they took your advice then they are likely fucked.


My advice wasn't to bank on top 15%. I said that he has a greater than 15% chance of it happening. The whole 50% of people are wrong about what side of median grades they get is just a bit of a flame, imo

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby North » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:32 pm

iditarod wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:Even if we grant that above median LSAT students have a slightly better shot at above median grades is that really something the OP or whoever are gonna roll the dice on. People with above LSAT medians finish with below median grades sometimes and if they took your advice then they are likely fucked.


My advice wasn't to bank on top 15%. I said that he has a greater than 15% chance of it happening. The whole 50% of people are wrong about what side of median grades they get is just a bit of a flame, imo

You're giving some really stupid and terrible advice to people who might listen to you.

iditarod
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby iditarod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:37 pm

North wrote:
iditarod wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:Even if we grant that above median LSAT students have a slightly better shot at above median grades is that really something the OP or whoever are gonna roll the dice on. People with above LSAT medians finish with below median grades sometimes and if they took your advice then they are likely fucked.


My advice wasn't to bank on top 15%. I said that he has a greater than 15% chance of it happening. The whole 50% of people are wrong about what side of median grades they get is just a bit of a flame, imo

You're giving some really stupid and terrible advice to people who might listen to you.


Please point me to the "advice" I've given. You're just using lazy logic to get to a point I ultimately agree w/ "don't bank on top 15% and ability to transfer."

iditarod
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby iditarod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:39 pm

You literally suggested grades are a crapshoot

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:53 pm

iditarod wrote:You literally suggested grades are a crapshoot

Because you don't know how well you're gonna stack up against your classmates ex ante, yes.

iditarod
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby iditarod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:04 pm

rad lulz wrote:
iditarod wrote:You literally suggested grades are a crapshoot

Because you don't know how well you're gonna stack up against your classmates ex ante, yes.


XD if you think there aren't good predictors of grades.

The only reason this line of logic is popular on tls is that it's chocked full of people who can study for a 175+ but can't write four sentences

empyreanrrv
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby empyreanrrv » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:06 pm

rad lulz wrote:
iditarod wrote:You literally suggested grades are a crapshoot

Because you don't know how well you're gonna stack up against your classmates ex ante, yes.


Do you have anything to suggest grades are a crapshoot besides anecdotes? The only actual evidence I've seen points to the fact that they are not totally random and supports iditarod's idea.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:17 pm

iditarod wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
iditarod wrote:You literally suggested grades are a crapshoot

Because you don't know how well you're gonna stack up against your classmates ex ante, yes.


XD if you think there aren't good predictors of grades.

The only reason this line of logic is popular on tls is that it's chocked full of people who can study for a 175+ but can't write four sentences

http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/lsat-score-predictors-of-performance.pdf

TLDR

LSAT and GPA shows best correlation at .48, on average, which is decent, but a .48 average doesn't show much predictive power for the individual

LSAT is .36

If you do to a "top school" where the 25th is in the high 160s and the 75th is in the low 170s, that's basically a handful of questions on the LSAT. Different between median and 75th of this school is basically a couple bad guesses. That's not gonna tell you much.

empyreanrrv
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby empyreanrrv » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:33 pm

rad lulz wrote:
iditarod wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
iditarod wrote:You literally suggested grades are a crapshoot

Because you don't know how well you're gonna stack up against your classmates ex ante, yes.


XD if you think there aren't good predictors of grades.

The only reason this line of logic is popular on tls is that it's chocked full of people who can study for a 175+ but can't write four sentences

http://www.lsac.org/jd/pdfs/lsat-score-predictors-of-performance.pdf

TLDR

LSAT and GPA shows best correlation at .48, on average, which is decent, but a .48 average doesn't show much predictive power for the individual

LSAT is .36

If you do to a "top school" where the 25th is in the high 160s and the 75th is in the low 170s, that's basically a handful of questions on the LSAT. Different between median and 75th of this school is basically a couple bad guesses. That's not gonna tell you much.


Interesting-- thanks for that.

iditarod
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby iditarod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Those correlation coefficients are on avg per school, so even those w/ tighter (edit: LSAT) distributions are incorporated. Suggesting that it means less at a "top school" is unsupported.

Furthermore, a .48 correlation coefficient accounts for 23% of variance in grades. That would lead me to believe that grades, despite your suggestions, are not a total crapshoot.

I only have to prove that it's significant for ONE person to prove my point.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:05 pm

iditarod wrote:Those correlation coefficients are on avg per school, so even those w/ tighter (edit: LSAT) distributions are incorporated. Suggesting that it means less at a "top school" is unsupported.

Furthermore, a .48 correlation coefficient accounts for 23% of variance in grades. That would lead me to believe that grades, despite your suggestions, are not a total crapshoot.

I only have to prove that it's significant for ONE person to prove my point.

Look brah, no one is really saying it's a total crapshoot as in it all comes down to merely the roll of the dice. If that were true, then I'd be saying, "don't study at all brah, just go write the exam, it's just a crapshoot." But as you can see, LSAT and GPA don't provide nearly a whole piece of the puzzle. Because you can't even begin to predict the rest of the factors (say you sleep through one class, and stuff from that class is worth a quarter of the exam; say personal jurisdiction just clicks for you; say you couldn't sleep before your first exam; maybe the exam is multiple choice and you find out you suck at those; etc.), it's dangerous to tell people just from their LSAT and GPA where they can expect to end up in the class (and advise people to throw down vast sums of money on that estimation). In that respect, it's a crapshoot. Stop being a retard about semantics.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:21 pm

rad lulz wrote:
iditarod wrote:Those correlation coefficients are on avg per school, so even those w/ tighter (edit: LSAT) distributions are incorporated. Suggesting that it means less at a "top school" is unsupported.

Furthermore, a .48 correlation coefficient accounts for 23% of variance in grades. That would lead me to believe that grades, despite your suggestions, are not a total crapshoot.

I only have to prove that it's significant for ONE person to prove my point.

Look brah, no one is really saying it's a total crapshoot as in it all comes down to merely the roll of the dice. If that were true, then I'd be saying, "don't study at all brah, just go write the exam, it's just a crapshoot." But as you can see, LSAT and GPA don't provide nearly a whole piece of the puzzle. Because you can't even begin to predict the rest of the factors (say you sleep through one class, and stuff from that class is worth a quarter of the exam; say personal jurisdiction just clicks for you; say you couldn't sleep before your first exam; maybe the exam is multiple choice and you find out you suck at those; etc.), it's dangerous to tell people just from their LSAT and GPA where they can expect to end up in the class (and advise people to throw down vast sums of money on that estimation). In that respect, it's a crapshoot. Stop being a retard about semantics.


+1

iditarod
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby iditarod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:30 pm

I'm not arguing semantics, 1 is the opposite of 0.

I never advised anyone to predict they could land in the top X%. In fact, I suggested the opposite. My point is that the conventional tls wisdom that "90% of people who think they will be in the top 10% are wrong" is lazy and exaggerated. If someone is going to a LS with above median GPA and LSAT would you say that they're less likely to hit median grades than a coin is to come up false? Of course not. But that is what people are saying when they tell people who have reason to think they will perform well in LS that they won't.

User avatar
lawhopeful10
Posts: 984
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby lawhopeful10 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:39 pm

The advice given is that people should not spend large amounts of money at schools that give a relatively low chance at a job or a job able to pay back those loans. As people have said on this forum countless of times even if grades aren't completely random they aren't controllable in the sense that one should bank on top 10% when deciding where to go. Fuck yourself for arguing an almost worthless point.

User avatar
Ramius
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby Ramius » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:40 pm

iditarod wrote:I'm not arguing semantics, 1 is the opposite of 0.

I never advised anyone to predict they could land in the top X%. In fact, I suggested the opposite. My point is that the conventional tls wisdom that "90% of people who think they will be in the top 10% are wrong" is lazy and exaggerated. If someone is going to a LS with above median GPA and LSAT would you say that they're less likely to hit median grades than a coin is to come up false? Of course not. But that is what people are saying when they tell people who have reason to think they will perform well in LS that they won't.



What they are saying and what you are saying are different though. They are saying 90% of people who think they will (can be read as want to be, but regardless) end up in the top 10% of the class will not. Presumably everyone wants to be in that top echelon, and therefore the statement is accurate.

Your statement regarding the likelihood of whether any given person will be in the top 10% of their class can be equally factual, but what people are arguing against is that their is no factual basis to support this. You may contend it follows some sort of logic, but there is still nothing to back that up beyond saying "their numbers are above those of the average (by way of GPA and LSAT) student, so they must have a better chance to succeed in law school academics." You may be right, but you have done nothing to back it up.

User avatar
Shmoopy
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby Shmoopy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:58 pm

-
Last edited by Shmoopy on Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:02 pm

iditarod wrote:You literally suggested grades are a crapshoot


They're pretty close to a crapshoot. If you're setting the curve (at either end) you probably did something to deserve it. But everything in the middle is all but impossible to predict since you don't know how your classmates will do.

I was sure pretty sure I straight up failed one of my classes last semester - I had no idea what I was doing. Turns out, neither did anyone else, and I scored significantly above median. Conversely, what I thought was my best class ended up being my worst grade.

iditarod
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby iditarod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:11 pm

I agree with a lot that's been said here, but my main point goes back to someone suggesting that OP had an 85% chance of missing top 15%.

I assumed based on his aid that he has above median LSAT / grades, which means that he is more likely (by however much) to hit his mark than most students. I don't think it is likely enough to shell out lots of cash.

To matthewsean's point, thinking they will and wanting to be are definitely different and therefore the criticism of my argument has not been given any real support. e.g if you have median numbers for NYU and go there, you are probably less likely to think you will hit top 10% than if you take those numbers to W&M, and are statistically, more likely to hit top 10% at w&m.

Edit: this person presumably wants to hit top 10 at each school

I accept the fact that people's predictions are often unsupported or simply wrong because of factors outside their control. The argument for the total arbitrariness of grades, though, is something that is largely unquestioned on TLS and that has been my impetus for doing so.

empyreanrrv
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby empyreanrrv » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:40 pm

If LSAT/UGPA did not predict 1st year grades, the LSAC coefficient would be 0 or near 0. It is not. LSAT/UGPA can help predict 1st year grades in that (on average) 48% of a person's 1st year grades are a result of their LSAT/UGPA and 52% is a result of everything else. I don't see how anyone can argue that this correlation doesn't exist. The question that should be asked is to what extent does this correlation predict grades. Obviously someone who barely scrapes into NYU does not stand a 50% chance of getting above median, but is it a 40% chance? 30%? I'm not a math guy so I'll have to pass this off to someone else, but I think this is the point that iditarod is trying to hit.

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:55 pm

OP probably doesn't need to worry about grades considering he'll get personality pwned it seems.

scrappydoo716
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby scrappydoo716 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:21 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:OP probably doesn't need to worry about grades considering he'll get personality pwned it seems.


what is that even supposed to mean?

scrappydoo716
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby scrappydoo716 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Alright I've heard your arguments re: grades and I completely understand the amount of work and luck it takes for something like that to happen, but my question was more of a hypothetical dealing with whether it is worth giving up being high in a class at William & Mary where I have a scholarship to transfer into a t14 school and probably become more of a middle of the pack student.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Fordham vs. William and Mary

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:25 pm

scrappydoo716 wrote:Alright I've heard your arguments re: grades and I completely understand the amount of work and luck it takes for something like that to happen, but my question was more of a hypothetical dealing with whether it is worth giving up being high in a class at William & Mary where I have a scholarship to transfer into a t14 school and probably become more of a middle of the pack student.

In all likelihood you won't make grades good enough to do that, so don't worry about it.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cheaptilts, nunumaster and 4 guests