SUNY Buffalo vs. Pace

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
uvabro

Re: SUNY Buffalo vs. Pace

Postby uvabro » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:22 am

timbs4339 wrote:
K Rock wrote:
timbs4339 wrote: Buffalo might be allowed to survive as the only non-T14 upstate NY school.

Nope, Syracuse is up there too.

I meant that we'd let Buffalo live. Syracuse and Albany with costs over 200K and employment scores under 50% would close.

You explained yourself fine in the previous post. You got the point across concisely. That's good legal writing. Don't write more to explain yourself.

Mxpalmer

Postby Mxpalmer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:26 am

If you are interested in working in New York State, go SUNY Buffalo. Contrary to the above posts it is a well respected school in upstate New York and you'd be hard pressed to find any decent sized law firm in the area without partners from Buffalo. Buffalo doesn't really have to compete with area schools (besides SU) for jobs, as Cornell grads typically don't stick around.

If you can retake the lsat that's always best, but Buffalo is in no way a terrible option if you have an interest in staying in the area.

I don't know anything about Pace.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:30 am

Mxpalmer wrote:If you are interested in working in New York State, go SUNY Buffalo. Contrary to the above posts it is a well respected school in upstate New York and you'd be hard pressed to find any decent sized law firm in the area without partners from Buffalo. Buffalo doesn't really have to compete with area schools (besides SU) for jobs, as Cornell grads typically don't stick around.

If you can retake the lsat that's always best, but Buffalo is in no way a terrible option if you have an interest in staying in the area.

I don't know anything about Pace.

Too bad all the respect they get doesn't give you more than a coin flip shot at a job.

lol, just lol

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:36 am

Retake until you have maxed out your attempts (3)

Then

Apply to the T14 OR Pinpoint the exact geographic region you would like to spend the next 20-45 years. Target the strongest regional school and work to get the $$$$ from them. (see "Retaking" option to up chances at acceptance and/or $$$$

I promise you that you do not have to "go to law school" this year. I'm not and in fact, I have taken and retaken the LSAT (and my first score wasn't bad by any means) I have TLS to thank for that. Law school isn't going anywhere so why give anything less then your best for a decision that will effect the rest of your life.

Mxpalmer

Postby Mxpalmer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:40 am

You're right. There's actually quite a bit of articles, and indeed threads on this board that articulate the legal field's lack of jobs.

Although poorly articulated, you do make a good point that he should take into consideration. Within one year after graduation, he does not have very positive odds at finding a full-time legal position. However, as I mentioned, it is a well respected school in the upstate NY area, and if he is willing to stay and work in the area long term, all is not lost.

And you're shortness indicates you're ready for break in 3 days. I'm guessing you don't want to double check my citations for me? lulz. just lulz.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:42 am

Mxpalmer wrote:Although poorly articulated, you do make a good point that he should take into consideration. Within one year after graduation, he does not have very positive odds at finding a full-time legal position. However, as I mentioned, it is a well respected school in the upstate NY area, and if he is willing to stay and work in the area long term, all is not lost.

Anticipating staying in the legal industry long term when you can't get an entry level job is putting the cart before the horse.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:45 am

Mxpalmer wrote:You're right. There's actually quite a bit of articles, and indeed threads on this board that articulate the legal field's lack of jobs.

Although poorly articulated, you do make a good point that he should take into consideration. Within one year after graduation, he does not have very positive odds at finding a full-time legal position. However, as I mentioned, it is a well respected school in the upstate NY area, and if he is willing to stay and work in the area long term, all is not lost.

And you're shortness indicates you're ready for break in 3 days. I'm guessing you don't want to double check my citations for me? lulz. just lulz.

You're leaving out cost. Maybe if he wants to stay there, and he'll graduate with almost no debt (read: none), then he should do it. But just because there are partners from that school doesn't mean anything. A lot of them went to school when it didn't matter where you went.

Mxpalmer

Postby Mxpalmer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:55 am

Cost is huge, especially for an out of state resident. If he's paying close to full tuition, I'd even recommend establishing NY residence to get the discount.

To say that nobody should attend Buffalo, even if they 1) want to stay in the area 2) become an attorney and 3) have no better options, simply because the bottom half of the class can't find a job for the first 9 months after graduation is equally silly.

Again, if he's paying full price at Buffalo, I would think very, very hard before attending. Also, like I said, retaking is the best option.

But the kid is asking about schools, so I provided a pretty accurate description based on the respect the school has in the area.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:59 am

A better option would be retaking, or probably even not going.

Also, just because half get jobs doesn't mean if you're in the top half you're automatically okay. Legal hiring doesn't work like that.

Mxpalmer

Postby Mxpalmer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:04 am

Yes. He should retake. See above.

I am privy to the fact that the top half of any class do not automatically get jobs. You're nitpicking.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:06 am

Mxpalmer wrote:Cost is huge, especially for an out of state resident. If he's paying close to full tuition, I'd even recommend establishing NY residence to get the discount.

To say that nobody should attend Buffalo, even if they 1) want to stay in the area 2) become an attorney and 3) have no better options, simply because the bottom half of the class can't find a job for the first 9 months after graduation is equally silly.

Again, if he's paying full price at Buffalo, I would think very, very hard before attending. Also, like I said, retaking is the best option.

But the kid is asking about schools, so I provided a pretty accurate description based on the respect the school has in the area.

You gotta eat for nine months. And we have no numbers either way on the long-term prospects of a student graduating in the last few years, so it's foolish to assume that gets better. The debt is very real though.

Like Rad said, 50% employment =/= top 50% get jobs.

Mxpalmer

Postby Mxpalmer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:14 am

timbs4339 wrote:
Mxpalmer wrote:Cost is huge, especially for an out of state resident. If he's paying close to full tuition, I'd even recommend establishing NY residence to get the discount.

You gotta eat for nine months. And we have no numbers either way on the long-term prospects of a student graduating in the last few years, so it's foolish to assume that gets better. The debt is very real though.

Like Rad said, 50% employment =/= top 50% get jobs.

At no point did I paint a rosy picture of the school. I wouldn't have attended Buffalo. But I know many people who did, and all are quite successful for only being a few years out of school. Granted, they are still paying off debts.

To assume that 2 or 3 years after graduation, that 9 month employment number gets better is not foolish. It's logical.

And yes, you do have to eat for 9 months.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:25 am

Mxpalmer wrote:To assume that 2 or 3 years after graduation, that 9 month employment number gets better is not foolish. It's logical.

Why? If anything common sense suggests degrees get stale, especially if you have to, I dunno, get a job at Target or whatever to pay the bills, or just go back to your pre-law school job

Mxpalmer

Postby Mxpalmer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:42 am

You don't think 2, 3, X year employment numbers at most schools are a higher percentage than their 9 month employment number?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:49 am

Mxpalmer wrote:You don't think 2, 3, X year employment numbers at most schools are a higher percentage than their 9 month employment employment number?

Not appreciably. Why would it be? If you want to hire an entry level, why would you want to hire someone who has been working at Target for 2 years when you can just get someone who just passed the bar and is fresh and ready to go?

Furthermore reports/limited stats actually suggest that people leave law due to rampant dissatisfaction as more time passes.

Mxpalmer

Postby Mxpalmer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:53 am

I get that some people do not or cannot use their law degree. I get that an employer wouldn't want to hire somebody who has been working at target for the past 2 years. I would just be very, very surprised if you're belief is true that 3 years after graduation the number of graduates employed in full-time legal jobs is not measurably better than after 9 months.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:59 am

Mxpalmer wrote:I get that some people do not or cannot use their law degree. I get that an employer wouldn't want to hire somebody who has been working at target for the past 2 years. I would just be very, very surprised if you're belief is true that 3 years after graduation the number of graduates employed in full-time legal jobs is not measurably better than after 9 months.

There's no reason to assume it will be appreciably better 3 years out especially if you haven't been doing legal work in the mean time. There will always be exceptions (you fail the bar the first time and retake in February, you have a rich family that pays for all your shit while you volunteer until you get a real job, you do contract work at nights while you work at Target during the day then make a play for solo practice).

Postby 052220151 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:34 pm

resilience9 wrote:I do not think you understood the question. I am not retaking.

You didn't ask a question, bro. You solicited advice from strangers on the interwebz.

Retake the LSAT, your options are objectively shitty.

quiver

Postby quiver » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:33 pm

TheThriller wrote:Retake until you have maxed out your attempts (3)

Then

Apply to the T14 OR Pinpoint the exact geographic region you would like to spend the next 20-45 years. Target the strongest regional school and work to get the $$$$ from them. (see "Retaking" option to up chances at acceptance and/or $$$$)

I promise you that you do not have to "go to law school" this year. I'm not and in fact, I have taken and retaken the LSAT (and my first score wasn't bad by any means) I have TLS to thank for that. Law school isn't going anywhere so why give anything less then your best for a decision that will effect the rest of your life.
Yeah TITCR. If you want to stay in Buffalo and have a full scholarship, I don't think it's an awful option. It's obviously not great, but if that's the best you can do after retaking the LSAT and you don't have any other options, then go for it.

xoGossipGirl

Postby xoGossipGirl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:26 pm

Hey guys, I just got accepted into SUNY's JD/PHARM D program; I want to eventually write patents for pharmaceutical companies; anyone have any input or two cents on this school? I know absolutely nothing about it- randomly applied after they invited me...

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:11 am

Job prospects for actual pharmacists are tons better than those of JDs. Just do that.

Also - JD/Pharm.D is a thing? :shock:

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:18 am

Lol at people trying to justify a school that places half it's grads into jobs.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”