AnBryce v HYS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cayennepepper

AnBryce v HYS

Postby cayennepepper » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi guys - I've been reading TLS for a while, but have generally found my questions answered in previous posts. However, I've now found myself in a situation where I would love some TLS perspective to balance my own if you guys are up for it. I just received an invitation to interview for the NYU AnBryce scholarship. I also have an acceptance at one of HYS where I expect to pay sticker or close to. I want to spend some time thinking through this now to ensure that I'm willing to give up HYS for a full scholarship at NYU before I take up an interview slot.

I don't have any debt from college and have actually managed to save up quite a bit in the last couple years working. I believe whatever debt I have from law school will be manageable.

Do you guys have any thoughts or considerations about deciding between the two? In particular, I wonder why there aren't more posts about AnBryce v HYS. I see so many Hamilton/Rubenstein v HYS (and some RTK), but no AnBryce. Personally, I find it attractive not only because it's a full tuition scholarship, but because it'll help me overcome some serious career barriers. In particularly, I would love to know if AnBryce does in fact prove to be a leg up (beyond the financial help) following law school.

Thanks for your help!

ph14

Re: AnBryce v HYS

Postby ph14 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:22 pm

cayennepepper wrote:Hi guys - I've been reading TLS for a while, but have generally found my questions answered in previous posts. However, I've now found myself in a situation where I would love some TLS perspective to balance my own if you guys are up for it. I just received an invitation to interview for the NYU AnBryce scholarship. I also have an acceptance at one of HYS where I expect to pay sticker or close to. I want to spend some time thinking through this now to ensure that I'm willing to give up HYS for a full scholarship at NYU before I take up an interview slot.

I don't have any debt from college and have actually managed to save up quite a bit in the last couple years working. I believe whatever debt I have from law school will be manageable.

Do you guys have any thoughts or considerations about deciding between the two? In particular, I wonder why there aren't more posts about AnBryce v HYS. I see so many Hamilton/Rubenstein v HYS (and some RTK), but no AnBryce. Personally, I find it attractive not only because it's a full tuition scholarship, but because it'll help me overcome some serious career barriers. In particularly, I would love to know if AnBryce does in fact prove to be a leg up (beyond the financial help) following law school.

Thanks for your help!

You probably should identify which of HYS you are talking about. They're not all exactly the same. Also, if this was an attempt at anonymity, you realize that many less people get the AnBryce scholarship than get into each one of HYS.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:51 pm

cayennepepper wrote:Hi guys - I've been reading TLS for a while, but have generally found my questions answered in previous posts. However, I've now found myself in a situation where I would love some TLS perspective to balance my own if you guys are up for it. I just received an invitation to interview for the NYU AnBryce scholarship. I also have an acceptance at one of HYS where I expect to pay sticker or close to. I want to spend some time thinking through this now to ensure that I'm willing to give up HYS for a full scholarship at NYU before I take up an interview slot.

Thanks for your help!

I can't think of a compelling reason not to take NYU over HYS. They offer so little compared with full tuition it's not even worth calculating, but let's take a look. Do you know what happens to people who end up with full scholarships? They do well, very well. Part of this is because full tuition is rarely granted to people who'd put up with anything less, but that's by no means all of it. I don't know how it is at NYU, but I can tell you that here at my T14, there's a certain je ne sais quoi that comes with having a full scholarship. Most of your 1L professors (if not all of them) will know you or want to take an interest in you, as will your dean. You're taking a (tiny) bet on them by not going to HYS, but they're taking a sizable bet on you. They've wagered that you'll be at the top of the class, and they don't want to be disappointed. They expect you to do well, and they will go out of their way to see that happens. You'll be invited to all sorts of fun stuff the plebs have no access to. The Solicitor General's in town? Which students do we trust for a dinner? You'll be given access to alumni and other interesting people most other students would kill for. And best of all, you'll be introduced as "Mr. Smith, one of our most promising students" or some such. You might not think this matters very much, but an expectation of success mixed with access rubs off on people. NYU's kind enough to come out and say it with the AnBryce, but if anything they've undersold the benefits.

The money you'll save is actually the side benefit, but think about it this way: instead of $1200-2300 gone from your pay every month (remember that after taxes in NYC you'll only have 8k and you'll be spending 2-3k on rent before you even get to loans) you'll have either nothing or a fraction of that amount.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:24 pm

For the record, a number of the AnBryce Students took NYU over HYS, but when you get the contact form, I would just send an email out to the scholars asking why they made that decisions.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:50 pm

Depends somewhat on what you want to do, but for 95% of students I think AnBryce is a much better choice. The only real reason to take HYS, IMO, is if you wanted to be a professor—and I don't mean "I'd like to keep the option open," I mean, "I am going to law school to become a serious academic in the field of ______ law." And maybe for clerking, though if you do reasonably well at NYU that will still be an option for you.

From what I've heard, AnBryce isn't just about the money, either; they have special interview programs, mentors, networking events, etc. It seems like a really valuable community to be a part of.

Anyway I'm a 3L and I can tell you, it sucks to pay a lot of money for school. The charm of being at Hahhhhvahd, etc., will wear off quickly and you will find yourself a second-semester 1L paying $50,000 a year, getting the same education, and with 95% of the same opportunities you'd have had at NYU. As a 0L, it's easy to overvalue how important the relative prestige will be and to undervalue how bad it will feel to get a tuition statement every semester.

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:55 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Depends somewhat on what you want to do, but for 95% of students I think AnBryce is a much better choice. The only real reason to take HYS, IMO, is if you wanted to be a professor—and I don't mean "I'd like to keep the option open," I mean, "I am going to law school to become a serious academic in the field of ______ law." And maybe for clerking, though if you do reasonably well at NYU that will still be an option for you.

From what I've heard, AnBryce isn't just about the money, either; they have special interview programs, mentors, networking events, etc. It seems like a really valuable community to be a part of.

Anyway I'm a 3L and I can tell you, it sucks to pay a lot of money for school. The charm of being at Hahhhhvahd, etc., will wear off quickly and you will find yourself a second-semester 1L paying $50,000 a year, getting the same education, and with 95% of the same opportunities you'd have had at NYU. As a 0L, it's easy to overvalue how important the relative prestige will be and to undervalue how bad it will feel to get a tuition statement every semester.

This. At NYU the major scholarship programs all have fantastic support for their scholars.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:59 pm

quakeroats wrote:

Thanks for your help!

I can't think of a compelling reason not to take NYU over HYS. They offer so little compared with full tuition it's not even worth calculating, but let's take a look. Do you know what happens to people who end up with full scholarships? They do well, very well. Part of this is because full tuition is rarely granted to people who'd put up with anything less, but that's by no means all of it. I don't know how it is at NYU, but I can tell you that here at my T14, there's a certain je ne sais quoi that comes with having a full scholarship. Most of your 1L professors (if not all of them) will know you or want to take an interest in you, as will your dean. You're taking a (tiny) bet on them by not going to HYS, but they're taking a sizable bet on you. They've wagered that you'll be at the top of the class, and they don't want to be disappointed. They expect you to do well, and they will go out of their way to see that happens. You'll be invited to all sorts of fun stuff the plebs have no access to. The Solicitor General's in town? Which students do we trust for a dinner? You'll be given access to alumni and other interesting people most other students would kill for. And best of all, you'll be introduced as "Mr. Smith, one of our most promising students" or some such. You might not think this matters very much, but an expectation of success mixed with access rubs off on people. NYU's kind enough to come out and say it with the AnBryce, but if anything they've undersold the benefits.

The money you'll save is actually the side benefit, but think about it this way: instead of $1200-2300 gone from your pay every month (remember that after taxes in NYC you'll only have 8k and you'll be spending 2-3k on rent before you even get to loans) you'll have either nothing or a fraction of that amount.

This is simply untrue. There is no correlation between scholarship amount and law school outcomes. Absolutely none. The person with a full ride has the same chance of ending up bottom 10% in grades as anyone else, and then they will be jobless and SOL. If you don't agree you are delusional.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:19 pm

This is simply untrue. There is no correlation between scholarship amount and law school outcomes. Absolutely none. The person with a full ride has the same chance of ending up bottom 10% in grades as anyone else, and then they will be jobless and SOL. If you don't agree you are delusional.

Do you have any evidence of this? I've gone through the lists at my school, and the correlation between full scholarships and good outcomes approaches 1.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:21 pm

You're obviously comparing really good options, and IMO (unlike others') they're all very very close. For me, it was Yale > T14 full ride > SH. I couldve been convinced to take Stanford as well, probably.The main reason I would prefer the full ride to H is that the bottom 10% seem to do pretty poorly there.

Rather than debt averse, I'm extremely missing-BigLaw (or something of similar desirability) averse. Where you start out in law makes an enormous difference in your lifetime success, and I think this gets a little underplayed in these discussions, where people sometimes act like the only reason to want BigLaw is to pay down debt. Also, at Yale and mostly at the other two, the LRAP ensures that you'll never be in proverbial debtors' prison, even if it will still really suck to pay your loans back.

That said, I'm not sure I made the right choice. The best news is you can't really go wrong.

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:29 pm

quakeroats wrote:

Do you have any evidence of this? I've gone through the lists at my school, and the correlation between full scholarships and good outcomes approaches 1.

afaik at my school, there is no correlation...but this is purely based on the stories I've heard from upperclassmen

just thinking about it...do all high gpa/lsat people at a particular school do well? obviously not

they might be more likely to do well, but there's no guarantee whatsoever

GSCgold

Postby GSCgold » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

Thanks for your help!

I'd have to disagree.... Out of the 12 full-ride students in my class, 10 of them ended up well within the top 20% after first semester. Anecdotal, but I'd say there's some correlation.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:55 pm

quakeroats wrote:

He's trolling, because when he says he can take a scholarship to go to a lesser-ranked school and be confident of being in the top (whatever % 10? 20?), people tell him he can't guarantee that. (I don't remember what schools he's talking about and I don't think it's a full ride at NYU v. HYS, but I could be wrong.)

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:You're obviously comparing really good options, and IMO (unlike others') they're all very very close. For me, it was Yale > T14 full ride > SH. I couldve been convinced to take Stanford as well, probably.The main reason I would prefer the full ride to H is that the bottom 10% seem to do pretty poorly there.

Rather than debt averse, I'm extremely missing-BigLaw (or something of similar desirability) averse. Where you start out in law makes an enormous difference in your lifetime success, and I think this gets a little underplayed in these discussions, where people sometimes act like the only reason to want BigLaw is to pay down debt. Also, at Yale and mostly at the other two, the LRAP ensures that you'll never be in proverbial debtors' prison, even if it will still really suck to pay your loans back.

That said, I'm not sure I made the right choice. The best news is you can't really go wrong.

Just wanna comment on this that you WILL get biglaw out of AB. If you want more specifics on that, PM me.

Elston, miss you buddy.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:23 pm

quakeroats wrote:

I wasn't trying to troll, I am just trying to get people to think for themselves by being sarcastic. There is huge, overwhelming evidence at my school as well that full scholarship means very likely top 1/4 if not higher.

But the majority position on TLS is that either there is no correlation between scholarship and grades or only a slight one, and this leads a lot of people who know where they want to practice to take out six figures in loans in this economy when they could attend for free and have a very reasonable chance of high grades.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:23 pm

I agree with the person who said the only reason to take HYS is if you are set on being a professor or increasing your clerking chances from 10% to 16% (H), 23% (S) or 33% (Y). Do you care abut clerking or academia? If all you want is big law, take the money and run and enjoy taking home pretty much all of your post-tax income (I am assuming you will still have COL loans). If you do want academia/clerking, wait to see what you get from HYS in terms of aid and calculate the total COA for each and come back and ask.

quakeroats wrote:I can't think of a compelling reason not to take NYU over HYS. They offer so little compared with full tuition it's not even worth calculating, but let's take a look. Do you know what happens to people who end up with full scholarships? They do well, very well. Part of this is because full tuition is rarely granted to people who'd put up with anything less, but that's by no means all of it. I don't know how it is at NYU, but I can tell you that here at my T14, there's a certain je ne sais quoi that comes with having a full scholarship. Most of your 1L professors (if not all of them) will know you or want to take an interest in you, as will your dean. You're taking a (tiny) bet on them by not going to HYS, but they're taking a sizable bet on you. They've wagered that you'll be at the top of the class, and they don't want to be disappointed. They expect you to do well, and they will go out of their way to see that happens. You'll be invited to all sorts of fun stuff the plebs have no access to. The Solicitor General's in town? Which students do we trust for a dinner? You'll be given access to alumni and other interesting people most other students would kill for. And best of all, you'll be introduced as "Mr. Smith, one of our most promising students" or some such. You might not think this matters very much, but an expectation of success mixed with access rubs off on people. NYU's kind enough to come out and say it with the AnBryce, but if anything they've undersold the benefits.

Um, there are lots of good reasons to choose NYU over HYS in this situation. But choosing it because you get a warm feeling of superiority inside when an administrator identifies you as one of the school's most promising students is not one them, LOL.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:34 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

I wasn't trying to troll, I am just trying to get people to think for themselves by being sarcastic. There is huge, overwhelming evidence at my school as well that full scholarship means very likely top 1/4 if not higher.

But the majority position on TLS is that either there is no correlation between scholarship and grades or only a slight one, and this leads a lot of people who know where they want to practice to take out six figures in loans in this economy when they could attend for free and have a very reasonable chance of high grades.

Honestly, I think the majority position on TLS isn't that there's no correlation. It's that any given person can't know whether they will be the statistic that fits the correlation or if they'll be the outlier who doesn't and that they have to choose their school/plans based on a worst-case scenario rather than a best case.

Plus, most of the time, people making this decision are choosing between a school where they need to be in, say, the top 10-20% to have a shot at biglaw, and a school where they can get biglaw at median. Here, I'd argue the choice is qualitatively different - not that there are never bad outcomes for people at NYU, but the outcomes there are pretty good for most people in the class. Choosing between full scholarship at NYU and HYS is just not the same kind of gamble as, say, choosing between something like a full scholarship at Washburn Law and sticker at Duke. (Just picking schools at random.)

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:41 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

Honestly, I think the majority position on TLS isn't that there's no correlation. It's that any given person can't know whether they will be the statistic that fits the correlation or if they'll be the outlier who doesn't and that they have to choose their school/plans based on a worst-case scenario rather than a best case.

Plus, most of the time, people making this decision are choosing between a school where they need to be in, say, the top 10-20% to have a shot at biglaw, and a school where they can get biglaw at median. Here, I'd argue the choice is qualitatively different - not that there are never bad outcomes for people at NYU, but the outcomes there are pretty good for most people in the class. Choosing between full scholarship at NYU and HYS is just not the same kind of gamble as, say, choosing between something like a full scholarship at Washburn Law and sticker at Duke. (Just picking schools at random.)

Washburn v. Duke is crazy. I'm at a T40 school, and there are some people (including me) who turned down T14 schools (Duke, Northwestern, UVA) to attend with a full ride here. The choice between NYU full ride v. Harvard is qualitatively different because that person is essentially big law secure either place.

I agree with your assessment of the you-don't-know-if-you're-the-statistic. My point is that if you can attend a school with six figures of debt and a 40% chance of big law, it's smart to consider the likelihood that you can get big law eligible grades at a lesser school where you can attend for free. At my school, I thought from day one (based on a ton of research about past full ride students) that I would have at least a 40% chance of getting big law here with no debt, and so far I'm on track to do that.

From some of the posts above, it sounds like others have noticed a strong correlation between full ride and top grades (someone said "approaching 1.")

What is comes down to is anywhere you attend you are a statistic, and people don't seem to realize that the merit scholarship money you receive is very relevant information about your likely performance at a school.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Thanks for your help!

I should mention that you don't have to be sure you'd take AnBryce over your other options before you interview. You'd have a couple days to decide after receiving the offer. In addition, you know basically nothing about the program right now other than the scholarship money, which will change once you speak to your interview host and the all of the scholars whom you'll meet at the reception

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:08 pm

If your goal is firm work, I'd take the money and run. Academia? Then maybe HYS.

quiver

Postby quiver » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:11 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:I agree with the person who said the only reason to take HYS is if you are set on being a professor or increasing your clerking chances from 10% to 16% (H), 23% (S) or 33% (Y). Do you care abut clerking or academia? If all you want is big law, take the money and run and enjoy taking home pretty much all of your post-tax income (I am assuming you will still have COL loans). If you do want academia/clerking, wait to see what you get from HYS in terms of aid and calculate the total COA for each and come back and ask.
TITCR. It would be nice if there was a single thread in this forum that did not devolve into an argument about the correlation between law school grades and GPA/LSAT.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:42 pm

quiver wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:I agree with the person who said the only reason to take HYS is if you are set on being a professor or increasing your clerking chances from 10% to 16% (H), 23% (S) or 33% (Y). Do you care abut clerking or academia? If all you want is big law, take the money and run and enjoy taking home pretty much all of your post-tax income (I am assuming you will still have COL loans). If you do want academia/clerking, wait to see what you get from HYS in terms of aid and calculate the total COA for each and come back and ask.
TITCR. It would be nice if there was a single thread in this forum that did not devolve into an argument about the correlation between law school grades and GPA/LSAT.

Yeah, sorry to have contributed to that!

jrf12886

Postby jrf12886 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:58 pm

I would tend to agree with those who have said that if your goal is to work in a big firm for a while, then take the money. If you want academia or if you very much want to clerk, consider HYS. I think it's still a close call even then.

Also, you mentioned that you would be paying close to full price at HYS so I'm guessing you mean your family makes too much to qualify for need-based aid. I would still submit a package and see what you get. I consider my family firmly "middle class" but I got a substantial need-based grant. If you get a decent offer, maybe HYS would be more attractive (especially considering that you have some money saved up).

In any event, this is a great problem to have. Both options are great and it sounds like you will be off to a great start whatever you choose.

cayennepepper

Postby cayennepepper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:12 am

Thank you to everyone for their input!

I do have career goals that include clerking (definitely, assuming I end up having good enough grades) and biglaw (probably, given my family situation), but that's not really my end goal. Instead, they would be means to a bigger dream, hopefully. No academia in my future, unless I somehow turned out to be a legal academic prodigy.

I actually do believe it's worthwhile considering certain soft factors and can imagine that having real support in law school could make a big difference.

[/quote]

I should mention that you don't have to be sure you'd take AnBryce over your other options before you interview. You'd have a couple days to decide after receiving the offer. In addition, you know basically nothing about the program right now other than the scholarship money, which will change once you speak to your interview host and the all of the scholars whom you'll meet at the reception[/quote]

Totally agree and is ultimately what I decided. Still, I felt strongly that I should ensure that there was a definite possibility I would take AnBryce if accepted (I had spent the last couple months getting excited over HYS). From what I've heard and read, I would definitely. Most importantly, as you mentioned, I think it'll be crucial to spend time talking to AnBryce Scholars and getting as much information on the program as I can; there's no substitute for that no matter how great the TLS-brain is.

Thanks again everyone!

lawprospie

Postby lawprospie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:22 am

Bumping this thread:

What about AnBryce versus Stanford, specifically? I would like to have all possible opportunities open to me, but I think both can provide that. My Stanford finaid is on the way. Is paying for a brand not legit?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”