St. Marys vs South Texas

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby North » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:22 pm

Kenneth417 wrote:Not every person has the ability to gain admission to a T14.

True. You, however, are not one of those people. With the requisite effort, you could retake for a 170 and go to a T14 on scholarship. You are CHOOSING not to make the most out of your opportunities. You are choosing to take the easy way out. You have the ability, but are choosing not to exercise it. You're working with full information now, dawg, so you've got no excuse if you ruin your life with this decision. And odds are that you will. When you're unemployed and your first student loans bill rolls in, remember how you jammed your fingers in your ears in this thread.

BigZuck wrote:when I was applying to these type if schools and then discovered TLS I took all the info in with both eyes open, dropped any sense of pride or vision that I was special, and did the right thing.

Me too. Best decision I ever made.

Kenneth417
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby Kenneth417 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:27 pm

How can you refer to me as a troll? I am 100% behind my argument. There is money to be made in this field even if you graduate from a school such as one of these. I think the student body of these institutions would have to disagree with your advice but I appreciate your concern on behalf of myself.

AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby AP-375 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Good luck.
Last edited by AP-375 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby 20141023 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:55 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:16 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I can't fathom coming on to a site like this, reading around and seeing the top of advice given, then being compelled to create an account and asking a question, and then fighting back against everything that people tell you. But you're probably right.

As for 0Ls in "real" life, absolutely. It just surprises me when people go to the trouble to make an account and actually ask the question and fight back so vehemently. If you don't like the answer (and already have an idea of what it will be before asking just from basic familiarity with the site) and will fight against it tooth and nail then why ask the question?


Yeah, but some people don't lurk much before making an account. On my first day discovering this site, I made a thread asking a very dumb question in the WAMC forum :D

OP is in a rough position. Getting a 156 after four months of studying is very demoralizing.

Speaking of which, a few of my coworkers who weren't aware that I am going to law school found out that I will be quitting in a couple of months today at lunch. One of them graduated in the top 1% of his class at Georgia Tech in mechanical engineering and is what I've always considered a decently "smart guy." However, when he heard that I am going to UChicago, he was like "Whoah... what did you get on the LSAT?" When I told him that I got an embarrassingly low 166, he was amazed and said that he had actually tried taking the LSAT before (twice) but was only able to get a 155 so he gave up because he couldn't get into GW. I definitely think that hanging around TLS can cause people to lose touch with reality (I feel like shit on here with my 166), but that isn't necessarily a bad thing with the way that the legal market is right now.


at least theres one layperson out there impressed by ChiTTTcago lol

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby Crowing » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:02 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I can't fathom coming on to a site like this, reading around and seeing the top of advice given, then being compelled to create an account and asking a question, and then fighting back against everything that people tell you. But you're probably right.

As for 0Ls in "real" life, absolutely. It just surprises me when people go to the trouble to make an account and actually ask the question and fight back so vehemently. If you don't like the answer (and already have an idea of what it will be before asking just from basic familiarity with the site) and will fight against it tooth and nail then why ask the question?


Yeah, but some people don't lurk much before making an account. On my first day discovering this site, I made a thread asking a very dumb question in the WAMC forum :D

OP is in a rough position. Getting a 156 after four months of studying is very demoralizing.

Speaking of which, a few of my coworkers who weren't aware that I am going to law school found out that I will be quitting in a couple of months today at lunch. One of them graduated in the top 1% of his class at Georgia Tech in mechanical engineering and is what I've always considered a decently "smart guy." However, when he heard that I am going to UChicago, he was like "Whoah... what did you get on the LSAT?" When I told him that I got an embarrassingly low 166, he was amazed and said that he had actually tried taking the LSAT before (twice) but was only able to get a 155 so he gave up because he couldn't get into GW. I definitely think that hanging around TLS can cause people to lose touch with reality (I feel like shit on here with my 166), but that isn't necessarily a bad thing with the way that the legal market is right now.


at least theres one layperson out there impressed by ChiTTTcago lol


See y'all at UIC baby

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:53 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I can't fathom coming on to a site like this, reading around and seeing the top of advice given, then being compelled to create an account and asking a question, and then fighting back against everything that people tell you. But you're probably right.

As for 0Ls in "real" life, absolutely. It just surprises me when people go to the trouble to make an account and actually ask the question and fight back so vehemently. If you don't like the answer (and already have an idea of what it will be before asking just from basic familiarity with the site) and will fight against it tooth and nail then why ask the question?


Yeah, but some people don't lurk much before making an account. On my first day discovering this site, I made a thread asking a very dumb question in the WAMC forum :D

OP is in a rough position. Getting a 156 after four months of studying is very demoralizing.

Speaking of which, a few of my coworkers who weren't aware that I am going to law school found out that I will be quitting in a couple of months today at lunch. One of them graduated in the top 1% of his class at Georgia Tech in mechanical engineering and is what I've always considered a decently "smart guy." However, when he heard that I am going to UChicago, he was like "Whoah... what did you get on the LSAT?" When I told him that I got an embarrassingly low 166, he was amazed and said that he had actually tried taking the LSAT before (twice) but was only able to get a 155 so he gave up because he couldn't get into GW. I definitely think that hanging around TLS can cause people to lose touch with reality (I feel like shit on here with my 166), but that isn't necessarily a bad thing with the way that the legal market is right now.


at least theres one layperson out there impressed by ChiTTTcago lol


But the guy is an engineer, which means he is probably real nerdy and familiar with schools like Chicago. Someone in another thread talked about how Chicago undergrads walk around campus muttering to themselves. :lol:

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:56 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
BigZuck wrote:This kind of stubbornness is bizarre to me. I mean, I'm a strong willed and borderline stubborn person but last year when I was applying to these type if schools and then discovered TLS I took all the info in with both eyes open, dropped any sense of pride or vision that I was special, and did the right thing.

I'm calling troll again.


Nah. For every one of you, there's five others who ignore this kind of advice.

Some of you are too quick to call people trolls - and that indicates to me that you do not talk to many 0L's in real life about law school.


This. I had about a half a dozen guys and gals in my Powerscore prep course talking about how they would be happy to score a 155ish. Most people just don't get it: Outside maybe the T-20 (or T-13) schools, law school just isn't worth it. It is a prestige driven field.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:56 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote: people just don't get it: Outside maybe the T-20 (or T-13) schools, law school just isn't worth it. It is a prestige driven field.


Lol no.

jeffyl00b
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:10 am

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby jeffyl00b » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:09 pm

According to this thread, St Mary's is the 13th best school in the country.

PS, all schools and fields have "prestige", while only 55% of graduates for undergrad are finding jobs yet no one is telling them to stay away from school altogether.

peeonyou
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby peeonyou » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:06 pm

You are what you are OP. You can have a dream of helping people with the love of the law but there's a 99% chance you won't do that. You can retake and do better. 4 months of probably half hearted study netted you 5 more points. So you're 8 months away from 10 points.

Law school is terrible. It is not fun. It sucks. It's not this amazing thing. You also don't have to be smart to succeed. You just can't be a lazy idealist, which you seem to be.

Your logic you'll just go and work really hard later is flawed, dumb and may ruin your life.

What other people said - even if it works, even if you're top 5%, a good job or good opportunities still aren't guaranteed.

Right now you're like a fat woman who considers herself 60 pounds from looking like a beyonce. she might well be 60 pounds from looking like beyonce. but in reality all she is, is a fat woman.

Kenneth417
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby Kenneth417 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:24 am

peeonyou wrote:You are what you are OP. You can have a dream of helping people with the love of the law but there's a 99% chance you won't do that. You can retake and do better. 4 months of probably half hearted study netted you 5 more points. So you're 8 months away from 10 points.

Law school is terrible. It is not fun. It sucks. It's not this amazing thing. You also don't have to be smart to succeed. You just can't be a lazy idealist, which you seem to be.

Your logic you'll just go and work really hard later is flawed, dumb and may ruin your life.

What other people said - even if it works, even if you're top 5%, a good job or good opportunities still aren't guaranteed.

Right now you're like a fat woman who considers herself 60 pounds from looking like a beyonce. she might well be 60 pounds from looking like beyonce. but in reality all she is, is a fat woman.


You're considering me a lazy idealist? Please tell me where I said that I will just go and work hard later. You are trying to alter what I have previously stated resulting in your argument to look truthful but that is not the case. Just because i earned a 156 doesn't mean I don't have the ability to be a successful law student and lawyer. The best part of your argument was when you said "you have 99% chance of not becoming a lawyer that has the ability to help people." Where are you getting these statistics from? I know you are probably attending a T14 but what I can't grasp is why you are criticizing somebody who you never even met before. Does making wrong assumptions about another person that does not have the same test taking ability as you make you feel better about yourself? I just can't why understand somebody would go out of their way to put somebody down.

Kenneth417
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby Kenneth417 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:25 am

Kenneth417 wrote:
peeonyou wrote:You are what you are OP. You can have a dream of helping people with the love of the law but there's a 99% chance you won't do that. You can retake and do better. 4 months of probably half hearted study netted you 5 more points. So you're 8 months away from 10 points.

Law school is terrible. It is not fun. It sucks. It's not this amazing thing. You also don't have to be smart to succeed. You just can't be a lazy idealist, which you seem to be.

Your logic you'll just go and work really hard later is flawed, dumb and may ruin your life.

What other people said - even if it works, even if you're top 5%, a good job or good opportunities still aren't guaranteed.

Right now you're like a fat woman who considers herself 60 pounds from looking like a beyonce. she might well be 60 pounds from looking like beyonce. but in reality all she is, is a fat woman.


You're considering me a lazy idealist? Please tell me where I said that I will just go and work hard later. You are trying to alter what I have previously stated resulting in your argument to look truthful but that is not the case. Just because i earned a 156 doesn't mean I don't have the ability to be a successful law student and lawyer. The best part of your argument was when you said "you have 99% chance of not becoming a lawyer that has the ability to help people." Where are you getting these statistics from? I know you are probably attending a T14 but what I can't grasp is why you are criticizing somebody who you never even met before. Does making wrong assumptions about another person that does not have the same test taking ability as you make you feel better about yourself? I just can't understand why somebody would go out of their way to put somebody down.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:35 am

Kenneth417 wrote:
Kenneth417 wrote:
peeonyou wrote:You are what you are OP. You can have a dream of helping people with the love of the law but there's a 99% chance you won't do that. You can retake and do better. 4 months of probably half hearted study netted you 5 more points. So you're 8 months away from 10 points.

Law school is terrible. It is not fun. It sucks. It's not this amazing thing. You also don't have to be smart to succeed. You just can't be a lazy idealist, which you seem to be.

Your logic you'll just go and work really hard later is flawed, dumb and may ruin your life.

What other people said - even if it works, even if you're top 5%, a good job or good opportunities still aren't guaranteed.

Right now you're like a fat woman who considers herself 60 pounds from looking like a beyonce. she might well be 60 pounds from looking like beyonce. but in reality all she is, is a fat woman.


You're considering me a lazy idealist? Please tell me where I said that I will just go and work hard later. You are trying to alter what I have previously stated resulting in your argument to look truthful but that is not the case. Just because i earned a 156 doesn't mean I don't have the ability to be a successful law student and lawyer. The best part of your argument was when you said "you have 99% chance of not becoming a lawyer that has the ability to help people." Where are you getting these statistics from? I know you are probably attending a T14 but what I can't grasp is why you are criticizing somebody who you never even met before. Does making wrong assumptions about another person that does not have the same test taking ability as you make you feel better about yourself? I just can't understand why somebody would go out of their way to put somebody down.

I take back what I said about the above poster being too harsh by dropping the F bomb a few times. Seems like a pretty fucking prophetic post at this point.

Bravo.

peeonyou
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby peeonyou » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:53 am

Kenneth417 wrote:
peeonyou wrote:You are what you are OP. You can have a dream of helping people with the love of the law but there's a 99% chance you won't do that. You can retake and do better. 4 months of probably half hearted study netted you 5 more points. So you're 8 months away from 10 points.

Law school is terrible. It is not fun. It sucks. It's not this amazing thing. You also don't have to be smart to succeed. You just can't be a lazy idealist, which you seem to be.

Your logic you'll just go and work really hard later is flawed, dumb and may ruin your life.

What other people said - even if it works, even if you're top 5%, a good job or good opportunities still aren't guaranteed.

Right now you're like a fat woman who considers herself 60 pounds from looking like a beyonce. she might well be 60 pounds from looking like beyonce. but in reality all she is, is a fat woman.


You're considering me a lazy idealist? Please tell me where I said that I will just go and work hard later. You are trying to alter what I have previously stated resulting in your argument to look truthful but that is not the case. Just because i earned a 156 doesn't mean I don't have the ability to be a successful law student and lawyer. The best part of your argument was when you said "you have 99% chance of not becoming a lawyer that has the ability to help people." Where are you getting these statistics from? I know you are probably attending a T14 but what I can't grasp is why you are criticizing somebody who you never even met before. Does making wrong assumptions about another person that does not have the same test taking ability as you make you feel better about yourself? I just can't why understand somebody would go out of their way to put somebody down.

trying to help you, because it seems like your reasons for pursuing law aren't just social status, and money which are my main reasons but i respect people better than myself.

this is the only part from the personality you have demonstrated here that's respectable.

whether you have the capability to be a good lawyer is irrelevant. there's a 99% chance you won't have the ability to be a good lawyer -not having the opportunity to be one means you don't have the ability to be one. if A can't get to work at a bartender because they have no ride, they can mix the best drinks but they don't have the ability to be a good bartender. my statistics are from the fact that less than 1% of these people get jobs at firms that enable them to service their debt.

i'm not trying to criticize you. i'm trying to help you. i'm not judging you based on the 156 you "earned". i'm judging you based on your inability to put in the amount of time you need to, to "earn" a higher score to get into a school with better employment prospects.

it seems like your character flaw in this process is you have an ideal - "be a great lawyer". you seem to be viewing things like the LSAT and going to a good law school to be obstacles in accomplishing that instead of the tools that will give you a chance to use the skills you already have as you don't learn all that much useful stuff in law school.

you need to stop seeing yourself as a great lawyer in waiting, and start seeing yourself as a 170 in waiting. you need to then see yourself not as a great lawyer in waiting, but as a top 10% student in waiting.... then as a summer associate in waiting.... do you see what i am saying, duder?

peeonyou
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby peeonyou » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:57 am

the expect to work hard later is implied from your behavior.

full knowledge these are some of the most tumultuous schools in the entire legal economy with refusal to retake the LSAT implies you plan to work hard later or are insane.

and i'm not making fun of your testing abilities. i don't have great testing abilities myself. never did well in school, never did particularly well on standardized tests. but i did well on the lsat and so far in law school not because of testing abilities - because of grit, work ethic and hustle. these are things that will lead to $, not ideals. ideals and passion are what are what lead to most bad decisions.
Last edited by peeonyou on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby North » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:04 am

peeonyou wrote:trying to help you, because it seems like your reasons for pursuing law aren't just social status, and money which are my main reasons but i respect people better than myself.

this is the only part from the personality you have demonstrated here that's respectable.

whether you have the capability to be a good lawyer is irrelevant. there's a 99% chance you won't have the ability to be a good lawyer -not having the opportunity to be one means you don't have the ability to be one. if A can't get to work at a bartender because they have no ride, they can mix the best drinks but they don't have the ability to be a good bartender. my statistics are from the fact that less than 1% of these people get jobs at firms that enable them to service their debt.

i'm not trying to criticize you. i'm trying to help you. i'm not judging you based on the 156 you "earned". i'm judging you based on your inability to put in the amount of time you need to, to "earn" a higher score to get into a school with better employment prospects.

it seems like your character flaw in this process is you have an ideal - "be a great lawyer". you seem to be viewing things like the LSAT and going to a good law school to be obstacles in accomplishing that instead of the tools that will give you a chance to use the skills you already have as you don't learn all that much useful stuff in law school.

you need to stop seeing yourself as a great lawyer in waiting, and start seeing yourself as a 170 in waiting. you need to then see yourself not as a great lawyer in waiting, but as a top 10% student in waiting.... then as a summer associate in waiting.... do you see what i am saying, duder?

I like this guy.

peeonyou
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby peeonyou » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:17 am

OP, your passion for the law may make your parents proud, and it may even impress some impressionable young lady at a bar.

But it won't impress your creditors, and it alone won't make you a living. You need to retake the LSAT, and not worry about starting school a year later.

You are a man. People will depend on you to make rational calculated choices. You need to stop worry about impressing people, and make calculated choices that benefit you.

jeffyl00b
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:10 am

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby jeffyl00b » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:53 pm

peeonyou wrote:Right now you're like a fat woman who considers herself 60 pounds from looking like a beyonce. she might well be 60 pounds from looking like beyonce. but in reality all she is, is a fat woman.


I take umbrage at your taste sir!

I would like to ask, in all of your posts, are you talking about going to a good school, or going to a school for the least amount of money for the debt servicing?

peeonyou
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:58 pm

Re: St. Marys vs South Texas

Postby peeonyou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:31 pm

jeffyl00b wrote:
peeonyou wrote:Right now you're like a fat woman who considers herself 60 pounds from looking like a beyonce. she might well be 60 pounds from looking like beyonce. but in reality all she is, is a fat woman.


I take umbrage at your taste sir!

I would like to ask, in all of your posts, are you talking about going to a good school, or going to a school for the least amount of money for the debt servicing?

i'm talking about someone who has big goals, and goes paying sticker to a 4th tier school.

it's not my taste. i'm just stating facts.

i also don't get it.

Law school sucks for the following reason:

1.) A lot of work
2.) None of the professors really care about you - I have good grades but doubt the professors even read some of the exams page by page
3.) It is high stress
4.) It is a lot of $
5.) You lose friends, a decent social life and much of the physical fitness you came in with (you can limit losses on all of these, but not fully if you want to do well)
6.) Even if you beat the curve at a top school, the jobs still aren't guaranteed. At a lesser school, you need to be top 10% to have a betting chance at good job.

The whole reason to go is to get a job that will pay you $. That is the only silver lining. People who state they don't care about getting a 6-figure salary or attend schools with no LRAP for public service are just dumb. It's like being a crack addict, only crack makes you feel good (I have never done crack, but I have read about the psychological impact and can understand why people who don't think long term would do it).... but being a law student I just don't get it. Going to a TTTT is like being a drug addict without any of the pleasurable impacts of drugs.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests