Kenneth417 wrote:Im not saying what you have to offer is completely false but there are always execptions to every argument and I plan on being one of those exceptions.
Kenneth417 wrote:Even if I only earn a starting salary of 40 or 50k the opportunities that I can make for myself are great from gaining a large amount of experience.
With these two quotes, you're telling us that you have no idea what you're getting yourself into.
First, you CANNOT plan to finish at the top of your class in law school. Every single one of your potential classmates at these TTTs will believe that he or she is a special snowflake and will beat the odds with a little hard work. Sadly, you are not. No matter how hard you plan to work, there is a 50% chance you will be in the bottom half of the class, and a 90% chance you will not be in the top 10%. Now is the last time you will have some semblance of control over your own destiny, solely through the LSAT.
Second, do you realize that making $50K out of one of these schools is not the worst-case scenario, but the BEST-case scenario? A quick glance at Law School Transparency shows that at South Texas, less than a fifth of the class of 2011 reported a salary (with a median of $55K). Guess what? The people who report salaries are the ones who actually have salaries. The rest, who knows? As LST puts it, "We know that at least 9.6% of this school's graduates made $55,000 or more." For St. Mary's, 8.4% reported a salary. That does not bode well for your chances of making a salary worth reporting.
You have no discernible chance at biglaw from either school, and if you're lucky enough to get a legal job at all, it will not pay enough to service a $120,000 debt at 7–9% interest. (Keep in mind that student loans are nondischargeable in bankruptcy.) You also appear to be assuming that if you hit the jackpot with your $40K small-firm job in the middle of nowhere, Texas, you'll get great experience that will somehow translate into valuable opportunities down the road. While I doubt that's categorically false, I also think it's a rather slim prospect on which to hang your three-year, $120K hat.
As an aside, early in the thread you posted that you would be taking out $100K-$120K in loans, and later you said $50K. Are you trying to deceive yourself to make these schools sound more attractive?
Finally, do you think the people in this thread giving you this advice have anything to gain from what we tell you? No -- we've just been in the thick of the legal hiring process the past couple of years (some of us in Texas), and I guarantee you we know better than some random South Texas/St. Mary's alum who graduated before the bubble burst. We're trying to help you not ruin your financial life.
If you're truly set on becoming a lawyer, retake and reapply. Otherwise, don't go to law school. I don't know how we can make this any clearer.