UCLA with $35k scholarship...should this be an easy choice?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crybabylamb

UCLA with $35k scholarship...should this be an easy choice?

Postby crybabylamb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:42 am

So long as I maintain a 2.5 GPA (which I'm told is slightly above the median, but I haven't found any hard information on that yet).

According to here, nobody's lost their merit scholarship after their first year. Obviously, it's just one year.

Getting into T14 was one of my big goals, but money is a really important issue for me and I don't know if I can pass up this opportunity in good conscience (that, and so far, I'm getting holds left and right, plus no good scholly offers from T14 schools that have accepted me). But I don't know how manageable it is to stay above a 2.5GPA -- it seems like it would be easy, but with all these rumors of stacking and the fact that there's a curve, I'm not so sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

eav1277

Re: UCLA with $35k scholarship...should this be an easy choice?

Postby eav1277 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:10 am

What are you goals post grad...

Big law? employed in CA? Employed?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:43 am

I highly doubt that keeping a 2.5 would be difficult at a school like UCLA. The curve at UCLA is likely quite high (e.g. 3.3 median) such that a 2.5 would only happen if you didn't try.

It might be an easy choice relative to your other options (I don't know what they are), but it is undoubtedly not an easy choice overall. First, you are still graduating with a ton of debt. If you're a CA resident, you're still looking at at least 120k in debt at graduation after you factor in interest and that's nothing to scoff at. Personally I think 120k for UCLA isn't too bad, but it's still a ton of money and you should think about it. Second, and more worryingly, around 40% of UCLA grads don't get full time, long term jobs as lawyers. Basically, you're incurring 6 figures worth of debt for a roughly 2/3 chance of being a lawyer. That is not an easy choice.

crybabylamb

Postby crybabylamb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:51 am

My goals are to be employed in CA in preferably some lawyer-related profession. Too early for me to tell, maybe corporate law?

Regardless, the fact that 40% of UCLA grads don't get full time jobs as lawyers IS really worrying. I really wish I could see whether there was more specific information on exactly what jobs they got into, and whether this is across the board or whether it's just the bottom 40% that's not getting law jobs.

Also, so sorry, but I meant 35k/year. Which would save me lots of money, but would be all for naught if I can't get a decently paying job.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:54 am

35k/year still results in 6 figure debt due to cost of living.

It's not the bottom 40%, but that does not mean that people at the top are impervious. However, people at the top are undoubtedly doing much better, though you cannot guarantee that you'll be at the top or anywhere close to it.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:59 am

crybabylamb wrote:My goals are to be employed in CA in preferably some lawyer-related profession. Too early for me to tell, maybe corporate law?

Regardless, the fact that 40% of UCLA grads don't get full time jobs as lawyers IS really worrying. I really wish I could see whether there was more specific information on exactly what jobs they got into, and whether this is across the board or whether it's just the bottom 40% that's not getting law jobs.

Also, so sorry, but I meant 35k/year. Which would save me lots of money, but would be all for naught if I can't get a decently paying job.

I'm pretty debt averse and would strongly consider this offer. The biggest downside as bk1 mentions is that westwood is ridiculously expensive. You're looking at $1200/mo for a 1BR on the low end. Do you have any peer schools offering you aid? Is it possible you could leverage a little more from them?

crybabylamb

Postby crybabylamb » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:40 am

Yeah, I hate the idea of debt. However, with only 60% going into law-related professions... that's kinda worrying. I really wish I had more information to go on as to why this is. UCLA is actually the lowest ranked school I applied to and no other school's given me an offer as savory as this one yet, so I really don't have much bargaining power.

before2day

Postby before2day » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:03 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
crybabylamb wrote:My goals are to be employed in CA in preferably some lawyer-related profession. Too early for me to tell, maybe corporate law?

I'm pretty debt averse and would strongly consider this offer. The biggest downside as bk1 mentions is that westwood is ridiculously expensive. You're looking at $1200/mo for a 1BR on the low end. Do you have any peer schools offering you aid? Is it possible you could leverage a little more from them?[/quote]

westwood isnt the only place to live while at UCLA.... ever hear of Brentwood? lol

Return to “Choosing a Law School”