Emory $$$, Wake $$$, UGA $$, BAMA $$$, or FSU/UF (in-state)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
D's nuts

Emory $$$, Wake $$$, UGA $$, BAMA $$$, or FSU/UF (in-state)

Postby D's nuts » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:21 am

Long time lurker here, I've spent way more of my time on this site over the last year than I care to admit. I'd prefer to stay in the south but likely wouldn't pass up an (obviously unlikely, nearly impossible) opportunity at NYC or DC big law. I'm set on attending and don't feel a retake would help me much, as I'm an extreme splitter with a 168. I'm from FL, would prefer to work in FL, but am open to the idea of working elsewhere in the south. I attended undergrad at a very minimal cost, so my parents are willing to help with living expenses, reducing the true COA by some unknown number. I'm leaning towards Emory based on the hope that it could offer me more flexibility down the road as far as location in the region. However, my slight preference to stay in FL makes me wonder about FSU/UF, UF in particular. I have what I think are significant ties to FL that could help in the job hunt down the road if I were to decide to leave the state for school, however I am also aware of the TLS wisdom regarding FL's preference for FL schools.

Total COA:

BAMA: ~70K
UGA: ~90K
EMORY: ~105K
WAKE: ~80K
FSU/UF: ~95K

K Rock

Re: Emory $$$, Wake $$$, UGA $$, BAMA $$$, or FSU/UF (in-state)

Postby K Rock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:11 am

I would rule out Wake, UGA, and BAMA.

I would probably attend whatever ends up cheaper between FSU and UF

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:16 am

I think that's more than what I'd pay for Emory, but is there any chance you can get UF or FSU down to like $75k? Almost $100k is too much.

Wake, UGA, and Bama are out

D's nuts

Postby D's nuts » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 am

rad lulz wrote:I think that's more than what I'd pay for Emory, but is there any chance you can get UF or FSU down to like $75k? Almost $100k is too much.

I haven't attempted negotiation with either school yet but plan on it. It doesn't seem like either school is willing to hand out scholarships to in-state splitters though (based on limited anecdotal evidence and LSN). Why not Wake, UGA, or Bama? Maybe I'm overstating my preference for living in FL.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:35 am

D's nuts wrote:
rad lulz wrote:I think that's more than what I'd pay for Emory, but is there any chance you can get UF or FSU down to like $75k? Almost $100k is too much.

I haven't attempted negotiation with either school yet but plan on it. It doesn't seem like either school is willing to hand out scholarships to in-state splitters though (based on limited anecdotal evidence and LSN). Why not Wake, UGA, or Bama? Maybe I'm overstating my preference for living in FL.

Wake, UGA, and Bama aren't good for FL, and it's hard to get jobs in places you're not from even if you go to the local school.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:26 pm

OP go to UF

also your username :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:41 pm

what decision did you end up making?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”