USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCLA or USC

UCLA
51%
USC
49%

Total votes: 41

JesusChrist

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby JesusChrist » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:16 am

jselson wrote:
Lol dude, I grew up in redneck Florida with a single mother and could only go to USC because of a full scholarship, but please continue to base your own worldview on stereotypes.

I will, because you are a sample size of 1. I don't have a dog in the UCLA-USC fight (except that I think USC produces a lot of GOP voters). But do you believe that USC's reputation is entirely unfounded?

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:22 am

JesusChrist wrote:
jselson wrote:
Lol dude, I grew up in redneck Florida with a single mother and could only go to USC because of a full scholarship, but please continue to base your own worldview on stereotypes.

I will, because you are a sample size of 1. I don't have a dog in the UCLA-USC fight (except that I think USC produces a lot of GOP voters). But do you believe that USC's reputation is entirely unfounded?

For UG, maybe. But there are an absolute shitton of private schools (especially if you count LACs) that have similar/worse UG students. I think USC gets targeted because of their football exposure.

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:23 am

JesusChrist wrote:
jselson wrote:

Not entirely, but it's overblown, and in any case, you were "translating" MY statement, which was about personal experience and describing what I think are the best parts of living around there, which implies that you were dismissing my description as just another "rich kid's" poverty tourism. So in conclusion, your original statement was wrong, based on stereotypes, and uncalled for.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:34 am

jselson wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:
jselson wrote:

Not entirely, but it's overblown, and in any case, you were "translating" MY statement, which was about personal experience and describing what I think are the best parts of living around there, which implies that you were dismissing my description as just another "rich kid's" poverty tourism. So in conclusion, your original statement was wrong, based on stereotypes, and uncalled for.

I'm with you bro. I'm with you.

Back to OP: really go wherever you are the most comfortable. Both schools have their own feel, advantages/disadvantages. This is really one of those decisions that no one can make for you.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:54 am

OP: visit both and decide. the schools are peers in just about every sense of the word.

as for the trojan network; it's not something that you should solely base your decision on, but if you're asking if the trojan network is better than ucla's alumni network, i would venture to say yes. and i doubt many people would disagree. still, it's not a huge make or break deal unless you actively get involved and are proactive.

honestly, the smaller class size at usc is the only tangible benefit i see between the two (which generally translates into marginally better big law hiring in recent years, 2010/2012 notwithstanding).

side-note: east side is nice for during school, but after graduating and working, i would take west LA, no contest.

Beercules

Postby Beercules » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:36 am

deputydog wrote:
mh013 wrote:Is USC's alumni network actually as good as it is supposed to be?
Especially regarding OCI, would being in the Trojan Network actually help?

I'm currently deciding between USC and UCLA, and the strength of USC's network seems to be the only material advantage over UCLA. Equal scholarships at this point-should be able to hustle up to full rides at both. Also, does the fact that UCLA has higher average GPA/LSAT mean it might be harder to get good grades than at USC or does it really matter at all? Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input.

Go to USC, the football is better.

No, it's not bro.

/Kiffin'd

zzzzurzolo

Postby zzzzurzolo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:23 pm

No one has mentioned the difference in class size and the built in support systems.

USC is a smaller law school and from what I hear it is a bit more supportive overall, whereas one might get "lost in the mix" at UCLA.

Then again, UCLA is ranked higher and is a fabulous place to be. Different strokes for different folks.

Just some food for thought.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”