USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCLA or USC

UCLA
21
51%
USC
20
49%
 
Total votes: 41

mh013
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:23 pm

USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby mh013 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:49 pm

Is USC's alumni network actually as good as it is supposed to be?
Especially regarding OCI, would being in the Trojan Network actually help?

I'm currently deciding between USC and UCLA, and the strength of USC's network seems to be the only material advantage over UCLA. Equal scholarships at this point-should be able to hustle up to full rides at both. Also, does the fact that UCLA has higher average GPA/LSAT mean it might be harder to get good grades than at USC or does it really matter at all? Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby 052220151 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:57 pm

mh013 wrote:Is USC's alumni network actually as good as it is supposed to be?
Especially regarding OCI, would being in the Trojan Network actually help?

I'm currently deciding between USC and UCLA, and the strength of USC's network seems to be the only material advantage over UCLA. Equal scholarships at this point-should be able to hustle up to full rides at both. Also, does the fact that UCLA has higher average GPA/LSAT mean it might be harder to get good grades than at USC or does it really matter at all? Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input.


Go to USC, the football is better.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:12 am

mh013 wrote:Is USC's alumni network actually as good as it is supposed to be?

No idea, but what I do know is that the strength of its alumni network is reflected in employment outcomes.
mh013 wrote:Also, does the fact that UCLA has higher average GPA/LSAT mean it might be harder to get good grades than at USC or does it really matter at all?

No, it doesn't matter.
mh013 wrote:Any thoughts?

These schools are peers. At equal costs, pick the one you personally prefer.

enigmabk
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:52 pm

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby enigmabk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 am

It is as real as the "bruin network". you don't want to get shot at USC, go to UCLA.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby BigZuck » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:21 am

Would love to hear how you're gonna "hustle up" a full ride. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share here.

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby eav1277 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:24 am

From my understanding (attend one of the two for undergrad), Trojan network is better in several fields. However, I don't think law is one of them (or at least the effect isn't as large).

Go to where you get better aid and feel more comfortable. Only other difference is UCLA has more students overall

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby twinkletoes16 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:25 am

BigZuck wrote:Would love to hear how you're gonna "hustle up" a full ride. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share here.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby twinkletoes16 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:25 am

eav1277 wrote:From my understanding (attend one of the two for undergrad), Trojan network is better in several fields. However, I don't think law is one of them (or at least the effect isn't as large).

Go to where you get better aid and feel more comfortable. Only other difference is UCLA has more students overall



where IS the effect palpable? film/tv?

User avatar
goden
Posts: 2267
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby goden » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:26 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Would love to hear how you're gonna "hustle up" a full ride. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share here.

LittleTree
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby LittleTree » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:31 am

goden wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Would love to hear how you're gonna "hustle up" a full ride. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share here.

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby megagnarley » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:36 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:
eav1277 wrote:From my understanding (attend one of the two for undergrad), Trojan network is better in several fields. However, I don't think law is one of them (or at least the effect isn't as large).

Go to where you get better aid and feel more comfortable. Only other difference is UCLA has more students overall



where IS the effect palpable? film/tv?


Yes. And and in finance to a large extent. LA is full of Marshall educated execs.

Being a Trojan myself (undergrad), I would still say for law UCLA has a better grip on things in LA. While they are peers now, UCLA has been reputable for longer and just graduates more students.

That being said, being tied into the trojan family shouldn't be understated. It is unequivocally more tight knit the the UCLA grad network and I know a lot of people who went to both who would attest to the same.

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby eav1277 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:40 am

megagnarley wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
eav1277 wrote:From my understanding (attend one of the two for undergrad), Trojan network is better in several fields. However, I don't think law is one of them (or at least the effect isn't as large).

Go to where you get better aid and feel more comfortable. Only other difference is UCLA has more students overall



where IS the effect palpable? film/tv?


Yes. And and in finance to a large extent. LA is full of Marshall educated execs.

Being a Trojan myself (undergrad), I would still say for law UCLA has a better grip on things in LA. While they are peers now, UCLA has been reputable for longer and just graduates more students.

That being said, being tied into the trojan family shouldn't be understated. It is unequivocally more tight knit the the UCLA grad network and I know a lot of people who went to both who would attest to the same.


I concur

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby jselson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:41 am

Go to USC because the campus is easier to get around (not a fan of hilly areas), and you'll actually see real people around rather than just a bunch of yuppies (and yes, I did go to USC undergrad, why do you ask?).

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:44 am

eav1277 wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
eav1277 wrote:From my understanding (attend one of the two for undergrad), Trojan network is better in several fields. However, I don't think law is one of them (or at least the effect isn't as large).

Go to where you get better aid and feel more comfortable. Only other difference is UCLA has more students overall



where IS the effect palpable? film/tv?


Yes. And and in finance to a large extent. LA is full of Marshall educated execs.

Being a Trojan myself (undergrad), I would still say for law UCLA has a better grip on things in LA. While they are peers now, UCLA has been reputable for longer and just graduates more students.

That being said, being tied into the trojan family shouldn't be understated. It is unequivocally more tight knit the the UCLA grad network and I know a lot of people who went to both who would attest to the same.


I concur

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby eav1277 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:45 am

I'd say the campuses are equally easy to get around. You have to be realllly lazy to think UCLA's hills (not that hilly) are that bad.

If you want good football go to UCLA.

Good basketball. USC.


Joking about the sports, but it is interesting that UCLA beat USC in football this past year. And USC beat UCLA (at home) in bball this year.

For those of you unfamiliar with the rivalry (it's normally the other way around)

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby jselson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:58 am

eav1277 wrote:I'd say the campuses are equally easy to get around. You have to be realllly lazy to think UCLA's hills (not that hilly) are that bad.


This is a complete lie, and yes, I am very lazy.

mh013
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby mh013 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:23 am

Perhaps "hustling" a full ride was improper word choice.

What I have been doing is constantly hitting up the financial aid offices at a few different schools telling them about scholarship offers from other schools that are ranked better and telling them that I really want to attend their school but may not be able to attend due to finances (which is true).

It's worked really well so far, and I've received decent scholarships from some t-10s so I am confident that I can raise the bar again.

User avatar
marlborofillet
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:12 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby marlborofillet » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:25 am

jselson wrote:Go to USC because the campus is easier to get around (not a fan of hilly areas), and you'll actually see real people around rather than just a bunch of yuppies (and yes, I did go to USC undergrad, why do you ask?).

I'm confused. Who are these real people you speak so fondly of? USC undergrads or the neighborhood folk?

mh013 wrote:It's worked really well so far, and I've received decent scholarships from some t-10s so I am confident that I can raise the bar again.

I thought USC had a no bargain policy. UCLA will definitely play ball, but be prepared to walk away.

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby jselson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:50 am

marlborofillet wrote:
jselson wrote:Go to USC because the campus is easier to get around (not a fan of hilly areas), and you'll actually see real people around rather than just a bunch of yuppies (and yes, I did go to USC undergrad, why do you ask?).

I'm confused. Who are these real people you speak so fondly of? USC undergrads or the neighborhood folk?


The neighborhood. I absolutely love that area and find myself around there a heck of a lot more than Westwood when I visit LA. Especially the food: Langer's deli, Mama's hot tamales, King Taco, Chichen Itza, the pho shops in K-town: it's my favorite place to eat in LA, and it's not filled with a million people trying to show off how wealthy they are. East side > West side.

User avatar
marlborofillet
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:12 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby marlborofillet » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:57 am

jselson wrote:
marlborofillet wrote:
jselson wrote:Go to USC because the campus is easier to get around (not a fan of hilly areas), and you'll actually see real people around rather than just a bunch of yuppies (and yes, I did go to USC undergrad, why do you ask?).

I'm confused. Who are these real people you speak so fondly of? USC undergrads or the neighborhood folk?


The neighborhood. I absolutely love that area and find myself around there a heck of a lot more than Westwood when I visit LA. Especially the food: Langer's deli, Mama's hot tamales, King Taco, Chichen Itza, the pho shops in K-town: it's my favorite place to eat in LA, and it's not filled with a million people trying to show off how wealthy they are. East side > West side.

Fuck, breh. You've sold me. Sadly, I'm locked in Westwood. I wish there was good Mexican around here.

Still, I think LA in general is replete with folk flaunting wealth. It's disgusting, if lulz-worthy.

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:59 am

^ SC and the surrounding area is so much more chill in this regard, despite the university of spoiled children moniker.

JesusChrist
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:44 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby JesusChrist » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 am

jselson wrote:
marlborofillet wrote:
jselson wrote:Go to USC because the campus is easier to get around (not a fan of hilly areas), and you'll actually see real people around rather than just a bunch of yuppies (and yes, I did go to USC undergrad, why do you ask?).

I'm confused. Who are these real people you speak so fondly of? USC undergrads or the neighborhood folk?


The neighborhood. I absolutely love that area and find myself around there a heck of a lot more than Westwood when I visit LA. Especially the food: Langer's deli, Mama's hot tamales, King Taco, Chichen Itza, the pho shops in K-town: it's my favorite place to eat in LA, and it's not filled with a million people trying to show off how wealthy they are. East side > West side.


Translation:

Rich USC kids like to "slum it" and pretend they're boho-chic living in the hood.

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby eav1277 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:03 am

West side is definitely not greater than the east side. Different strokes for different folks.

But if you value safety...Westwood (UCLA) is definitely the better choice. You can walk around at 2-4 in the morning and be fairly safe. I personally wouldn't do it too often but I'd feel a lot safer in the UCLA neighborhood than USC neighborhood. Also, if you live in Westwood, you honestly don't need a car (or have to use it very often). Everything you need is within walking distance (Ralph's, Target, CVS, Trader Joes, Rite Aid, a variety of places to eat. Nightlife is a little lacking (two bars in the neighborhood).

Both are good schools.

Go to UCLA currently but considering USC for law school.

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby eav1277 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:06 am

marlborofillet wrote:
jselson wrote:
marlborofillet wrote:
jselson wrote:Go to USC because the campus is easier to get around (not a fan of hilly areas), and you'll actually see real people around rather than just a bunch of yuppies (and yes, I did go to USC undergrad, why do you ask?).

I'm confused. Who are these real people you speak so fondly of? USC undergrads or the neighborhood folk?


The neighborhood. I absolutely love that area and find myself around there a heck of a lot more than Westwood when I visit LA. Especially the food: Langer's deli, Mama's hot tamales, King Taco, Chichen Itza, the pho shops in K-town: it's my favorite place to eat in LA, and it's not filled with a million people trying to show off how wealthy they are. East side > West side.

Fuck, breh. You've sold me. Sadly, I'm locked in Westwood. I wish there was good Mexican around here.

Still, I think LA in general is replete with folk flaunting wealth. It's disgusting, if lulz-worthy.


Sadly there isn't much Mexican food. I'm Mexican so I think I know what I'm talking about. They do have a somewhat expensive restaurant (cantina azul) and two mexican food attempts (Jose Bernsteins, Chipotle, and a smaller stand next to Fat Sals). You can venture into Santa Monica a few places (the place I liked a lot closed down and moved to Marina del Rey :(

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: USC LAW-Is the Trojan Network Real?

Postby jselson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:08 am

JesusChrist wrote:
jselson wrote:
marlborofillet wrote:
jselson wrote:Go to USC because the campus is easier to get around (not a fan of hilly areas), and you'll actually see real people around rather than just a bunch of yuppies (and yes, I did go to USC undergrad, why do you ask?).

I'm confused. Who are these real people you speak so fondly of? USC undergrads or the neighborhood folk?


The neighborhood. I absolutely love that area and find myself around there a heck of a lot more than Westwood when I visit LA. Especially the food: Langer's deli, Mama's hot tamales, King Taco, Chichen Itza, the pho shops in K-town: it's my favorite place to eat in LA, and it's not filled with a million people trying to show off how wealthy they are. East side > West side.


Translation:

Rich USC kids like to "slum it" and pretend they're boho-chic living in the hood.


Lol dude, I grew up in redneck Florida with a single mother and could only go to USC because of a full scholarship, but please continue to base your own worldview on stereotypes.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests