Vermont Law School: Should I Move Across the Country?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
elterrible78

Re: Vermont Law School: Should I Move Across the Country?

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:
paranoia4ya wrote:He didis improve his grades in the last two years so it wouldnt be correct to assume that he is incapable of performing in school. It is important to consider the fact that each person is different. I personally will not attend any law school if my parents were not supporting me (and the school did not give me a substantial scholarship.) The fact of the matter is, most people in this country end up spending a fortune going to undergraduate schools with remarkably low placement figures. They do not get picked on as much because they are part of the majority in our society. People at tls will give you an objective elitist point of view of law school. I know for a fact that my career prospects would improve after undergrad if i went to vermont law school, but i still would not go. You seemed determined to go to a 1st tier school in your other posts. Combining that with the fact that you are now considering a school that is ranked below average is confusing. Get your head straight.

This was one of the most bipolar posts I've ever read. TLS offers an objective elitist point of view, but you wouldn't go to law school without parental help, and though each person is different, OP should "get his head straight" and go to a T1. I think we're agreement here (OP shouldn't go to Vermont), but I'm not sure I really follow all your other points.

I stopped trying after the second sentence, so kudos to you for attempting to make sense of it.

paranoia4ya

Postby paranoia4ya » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:19 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
paranoia4ya wrote:He did improve his grades in the last two years so it wouldnt be correct to assume that he is incapable of performing in school. It is important to consider the fact that each person is different. I personally would not attend any law school if my parents were not supporting me (and the school did not give me a substantial scholarship.) The fact of the matter is, most people in this country end up spending a fortune going to undergraduate schools with remarkably low placement figures. They do not get picked on as much because they are part of the majority in our society. People at tls will give you an objective elitist point of view of law school. I know for a fact that my career prospects would improve after undergrad if i went to vermont law school, but i still would not go. You seemed determined to go to a 1st tier school in your other posts. Combining that with the fact that you are now considering a school that is ranked below average is confusing. Get your head straight.

This was one of the most bipolar posts I've ever read. TLS offers an objective elitist point of view, but you wouldn't go to law school without parental help, and though each person is different, OP should "get his head straight" and go to a T1. I think we're agreement here (OP shouldn't go to Vermont), but I'm not sure I really follow all your other points.

I stopped trying after the second sentence, so kudos to you for attempting to make sense of it.

Lol. I dont spend enough time on this site to say that I am an elitist. (although, in my opinion it is dumb to pay for law school with debt, and I would rather be privileged than desparate. 8) )

p.s. he had another discussion where he wanted to know if his grades would get him into a tier one. (his perspective is more important than some random person on the internet when deciding what to do with his life.)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:59 pm

I just don't get what elitism has to do with it. It has to do with job prospects and cost. And you're basically agreeing with us, but we're elitists and you're not because you don't post much? I'm confused as I've ever been on TLS, but I suppose its irrelevant.

a_fireinside

Postby a_fireinside » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:47 am

I hate to bump a thread over a year old.
After a joining this forum several years ago, living and working in China (Teaching US History) and having a masters in energy regulation from VLS, I have finally decided that I want to live and work in Vermont on energy and environmental issues. Niche area I know. So despite VLS being the only law school in VT and my desire to live/work/(eventually die there YIKES!) should I still max out my LSAT and go to other schools? or should I just try to milk VLS for as much money as possible and network there?

Thanks

haus

Postby haus » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:14 am

a_fireinside wrote:I hate to bump a thread over a year old.
After a joining this forum several years ago, living and working in China (Teaching US History) and having a masters in energy regulation from VLS, I have finally decided that I want to live and work in Vermont on energy and environmental issues. Niche area I know. So despite VLS being the only law school in VT and my desire to live/work/(eventually die there YIKES!) should I still max out my LSAT and go to other schools? or should I just try to milk VLS for as much money as possible and network there?

Thanks

I do not know.

I suspect that VLS still has some considerable challenges ahead.

http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/the- ... id=2435029

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:24 am

Its not worth it.

I mean the school does suck, however, you are so far away from a thriving legal market with alumni that you can't even network efficiently. It isn't worth it.

Do not go.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:53 am

Yes, you should be maxing your LSAT and trying to get into other schools with schollies. Look at any environmental law firm, the lawyers there either went T14 or are from a smattering of schools none of which are "environmental law powerhouses" according to some irrelevant ranking by a company that exists only because of the inertia of its college rankings.

a_fireinside

Postby a_fireinside » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:47 pm

Very true on all accounts. I was there during the time they started cutting everything. I think i'll take the valuable energy knowledge I know use it at a better school. My main question has more to do with which school is the best to then relocate to Vermont, rather than going to VLS, but all the points are well taken. Especially the 7days article.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:15 pm

a_fireinside wrote:Very true on all accounts. I was there during the time they started cutting everything. I think i'll take the valuable energy knowledge I know use it at a better school. My main question has more to do with which school is the best to then relocate to Vermont, rather than going to VLS, but all the points are well taken. Especially the 7days article.

You don't move to Vermont to go to law school. Maybe move there now, take a job, network and improve your LSAT to go to a t-14. How you did in undergrad is largely irrelevant except maybe for paper courses. Doesn't mean you can or can't perform in law school (different grading formats). Undergrad is much more subjective. When I talked with profs after class I got A's and when I mentioned something they said was offensive (like Holocaust denial) I'd get a C. You're also graded on repeating facts. Law school might be random to some but it's fairly objective, and you're being graded on how you use what you learn on new situations. Law school profs are also generally all rational, smart and fair. Very few crazies.

paranoia4ya

Postby paranoia4ya » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:04 am

IU Bloomington has a joint degree with its spea program. I think they have the best environmental policy school in the country.

also, if you really wanted to learn more by taking classes at vermont, they offer a masters program you can take over the summer while attending a better school, though im not sure how much it would help employment wise
Last edited by paranoia4ya on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

a_fireinside

Postby a_fireinside » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:13 pm

paranoia4ya wrote:IU Bloomington has a joint degree with its spea program. I think they have the best environmental policy school in the country.

also, if you really wanted to learn more by taking classes at vermont, they offer a masters program you can take over the summer while attending a better school, though im not sure how much it would help employment wise

I already have the MERL (energy regulation and law) masters. So after doing more research I will just max out my LSAT and go to the best school I can. Again, short of working for DOE/FERC, BLM, EPA in DC, my ultimate plan is to live and work in VT on environmental and energy issues. Just a FYI, I am from VT, however I am currently on a 3-year contract at a private high school in Shanghai teaching US History and Economics, so this isn't something i'm going to do for next cycle. Maybe in 3 years there won't even be a VLS.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:15 pm

a_fireinside wrote:
paranoia4ya wrote:IU Bloomington has a joint degree with its spea program. I think they have the best environmental policy school in the country.

I already have the MERL (energy regulation and law) masters. So after doing more research I will just max out my LSAT and go to the best school I can. Again, short of working for DOE/FERC, BLM, EPA in DC, my ultimate plan is to live and work in VT on environmental and energy issues. Just a FYI, I am from VT, however I am currently on a 3-year contract at a private high school in Shanghai teaching US History and Economics, so this isn't something i'm going to do for next cycle. Maybe in 3 years there won't even be a VLS.

LOL

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Lot a fracking issues I reckon are in Vermont

a_fireinside

Postby a_fireinside » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Lot a fracking issues I reckon are in Vermont

I am fluent in sarcasm, but I would say the biggest issues is energy mix. Should we allow gas pipeline expansion? Increased transmission lines for wind turbines that don't produce enough? Utilities and net-metering with solar PV. Vermont's awful SPEED program which sells REC's to other states to meet their RPS standards. I understand most of these are more policy questions than legal questions.

Anyways, I'm not trying to FLAME this post. It's a serious question, but I get it. But I love VT, I've lived in several other states and countries. VT is where I want to be. But i'm just looking for actual advice.

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:18 pm

I'm a 0L, so I can't be too helpful besides offering some critiques of what you have said. Perhaps there are organizations or government agencies that will employ people to do that type of research. As noble and ambitious your pursuits are, be wary of investing more time and money in a degree that may not grant the benefit you seek. You could already attack these issues without needing a JD or a bar license.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:30 am

Do you have WE in the field?

Zero99

Postby Zero99 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:28 am

T14 or BU/BC with large/full scholarship

a_fireinside

Postby a_fireinside » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:14 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Do you have WE in the field?

I'm sorry, I don't know what WE means :oops:

t14 or BU, BC. Got it. Thank you!

haus

Postby haus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:15 pm

a_fireinside wrote:

WE = work experience

a_fireinside

Postby a_fireinside » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:56 pm

haus wrote:
a_fireinside wrote:

WE = work experience

Paid, No. I have done several fellowships in the US and in China on energy related issues.
Mostly my main experience has been as a History and Economics teacher.
When I couldn't find viable WE in the US, I left for Shanghai on a contract to teach. I like it, and its a fall back, but not where I see myself long-term.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”