Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ti Malice
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:55 pm

john1990 wrote:I figured Id weigh in since I am attending there.

It is true that only 25% of the class has a job at graduation. However, it is easy to do well at the school since it is not very competitive. Personally I beat the schools 75th percentiles so I like my chances of finishing in the top 25% and getting a job. Other schools which only require top 50% are far more competitive.


Please ban this fuck-awful troll already.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:59 pm

Considering he persists with the mathematical fallacy thing after having it be explained to him multiple times I think it's pretty clear that he's a troll. It's fine for regs to use him as a punching bag and laugh at him but I'm afraid he's going to start ruining the on topics given his most recent posts across a variety of threads. I'd hate for a noob or a lurker to read what he says and take it at face value and believe it.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:16 pm

Chances of getting a job /probable class rank. Example
Now consider I have the 75th percentile numbers at TJSL
.25/.25=1. It is likely that I will finish in the top quartile and get a job
Now at GULC
.65/.75=87% I have an 87% chance of getting a job since it is likey I will finish below median. Therefore I have a greater chance of getting a job at TJSL then at GULC. At harvard the odds would be lower since I would probably fail. I do not support the static dignosis which considers all 1l's equal. You do not have the same chance as other people with different numbers and it effects employment outcomes

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:17 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
john1990 wrote:I figured Id weigh in since I am attending there.

It is true that only 25% of the class has a job at graduation. However, it is easy to do well at the school since it is not very competitive. Personally I beat the schools 75th percentiles so I like my chances of finishing in the top 25% and getting a job. Other schools which only require top 50% are far more competitive.


Please ban this fuck-awful troll already.


Image

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:20 pm

john1990 wrote:Chances of getting a job /probable class rank. Example
Now consider I have the 75th percentile numbers at TJSL
.25/.25=1. It is likely that I will finish in the top quartile and get a job
Now at GULC
.65/.75=87% I have an 87% chance of getting a job since it is likey I will finish below median. Therefore I have a greater chance of getting a job at TJSL then at GULC. At harvard the odds would be lower since I would probably fail. I do not support the static dignosis which considers all 1l's equal. You do not have the same chance as other people with different numbers and it effects employment outcomes

A) the correlation between LSAT and law school GPA is weak
B) the correlation between law school GPA and employment is strong, but not absolute

Because you're in the 75th percentile LSAC, you've got about a 50% chance of being in the top 25%.
Even being extremely generous, that's less than a coin flip's chance of getting a job.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:21 pm

john1990 wrote:Chances of getting a job /probable class rank. Example
Now consider I have the 75th percentile numbers at TJSL
.25/.25=1. It is likely that I will finish in the top quartile and get a job
Now at GULC
.65/.75=87% I have an 87% chance of getting a job since it is likey I will finish below median. Therefore I have a greater chance of getting a job at TJSL then at GULC. At harvard the odds would be lower since I would probably fail. I do not support the static dignosis which considers all 1l's equal. You do not have the same chance as other people with different numbers and it effects employment outcomes


*affects*

Also, no.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby Clearly » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:21 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
john1990 wrote:I figured Id weigh in since I am attending there.

It is true that only 25% of the class has a job at graduation. However, it is easy to do well at the school since it is not very competitive. Personally I beat the schools 75th percentiles so I like my chances of finishing in the top 25% and getting a job. Other schools which only require top 50% are far more competitive.


Please ban this fuck-awful troll already.

Seriously

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:22 pm

BigZuck wrote:
john1990 wrote:Chances of getting a job /probable class rank. Example
Now consider I have the 75th percentile numbers at TJSL
.25/.25=1. It is likely that I will finish in the top quartile and get a job
Now at GULC
.65/.75=87% I have an 87% chance of getting a job since it is likey I will finish below median. Therefore I have a greater chance of getting a job at TJSL then at GULC. At harvard the odds would be lower since I would probably fail. I do not support the static dignosis which considers all 1l's equal. You do not have the same chance as other people with different numbers and it effects employment outcomes


*affects*

Also, no.

I just noticed the bolded. I'm pretty sure more people fail out of TJSL than the entire T14 put together

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:37 pm

guano wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
john1990 wrote:Chances of getting a job /probable class rank. Example
Now consider I have the 75th percentile numbers at TJSL
.25/.25=1. It is likely that I will finish in the top quartile and get a job
Now at GULC
.65/.75=87% I have an 87% chance of getting a job since it is likey I will finish below median. Therefore I have a greater chance of getting a job at TJSL then at GULC. At harvard the odds would be lower since I would probably fail. I do not support the static dignosis which considers all 1l's equal. You do not have the same chance as other people with different numbers and it effects employment outcomes


*affects*

Also, no.

I just noticed the bolded. I'm pretty sure more people fail out of TJSL than the entire T14 put together


The two groups are not comparable. the average graduate at TJSL would fail at probably any t14.

Using your equation which implies only a 50% correlation between UGPA+LSAT to class rank and then employment you would be in the 100% if you have the 90th percentile admission numbers. Which I have. I'm still waiting for all these 140's and 150's to come beat me on finals.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby 03152016 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:39 pm

Not sure why this thread was necro'd.

Is John's point that he needs only to fall in the top 25% to land a legal job? Given the ridiculous number of jobs obtained through referrals or hanging a shingle, I'd rethink that logic (http://www.tjsl.edu/sites/default/files ... 202012.pdf page five of this PDF).

Also, plenty of people who went to much better schools and were near the top of their class can't find legal work.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:41 pm

Max324 wrote:Not sure why this thread was necro'd.

Is John's point that he needs only to fall in the top 25% to land a legal job? Given the ridiculous number of jobs obtained through referrals or hanging a shingle, I'd rethink that logic (http://www.tjsl.edu/sites/default/files ... 202012.pdf page five of this PDF). Plenty of people who went to much better schools and were near the top of their class can't find legal work.


Referrals are only 40%, but these also depend on class rank

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:42 pm

john1990 wrote:Using your equation which implies only a 50% correlation between UGPA+LSAT to class rank and then employment you would be in the 100% if you have the 90th percentile admission numbers. Which I have. I'm still waiting for all these 140's and 150's to come beat me on finals.

I believe there was a 51% correlation, but haven't looked at the statistics recently. But that doesn't mean that with a 90th percentile admissions number you're guaranteed to be top quarter. But, if your knowledge/understanding of statistics, combined with your analytic abilities shown in these threads are any indication, I with you the best of luck.
That notwithstanding, even being the #1 top student in the class doesn't guarantee you a job... particularly at a school like TJSL. Personality also matters....

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby 03152016 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:45 pm

john1990 wrote:
Max324 wrote:Not sure why this thread was necro'd.

Is John's point that he needs only to fall in the top 25% to land a legal job? Given the ridiculous number of jobs obtained through referrals or hanging a shingle, I'd rethink that logic (http://www.tjsl.edu/sites/default/files ... 202012.pdf page five of this PDF). Plenty of people who went to much better schools and were near the top of their class can't find legal work.


Referrals are only 40%, but these also depend on class rank

Huh? What do you mean only 40%? And how do you know they depended on class rank? It's very likely that many of them did, and it's also very likely that many were hired through their connections either from before school or through networking. Legal hiring is not a meritocracy.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:52 pm

If you place in the top quartile i believe you stand a good chance of getting a job. 15% of the class gets employment without a referral (out of 90% who are eligible) So if your in the top quartile you stand a good chance. Top 10% sounds good solid

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby 03152016 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:24 pm

john1990 wrote:If you place in the top quartile i believe you stand a good chance of getting a job. 15% of the class gets employment without a referral (out of 90% who are eligible) So if your in the top quartile you stand a good chance. Top 10% sounds good solid

Is there a good chance that the top 25% will find employment of some kind? Yes, fine. It wouldn't surprise me if that were true.

Is there a good chance that the top 25% will find employment in a FTLT bar-passage required job? Don't hold your breath. With so few people from TJLS obtaining those jobs, and so many grads being hired through their connections, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable in the top 25%.

john1990 wrote:I'm still waiting for all these 140's and 150's to come beat me on finals.

I'm bothered by this comment. It sounds like you've already developed a superiority complex. Remember that you studied hard for half a year, and had the right resources to score a 166. Not all of your classmates had those advantages. Many people take the LSAT while working demanding careers. Many have families to attend to. Many take the test cold, or with only a few weeks of studying.

I'm not saying you won't do well. It wouldn't surprise me if you ended up near the top of your class; no one is denying that the LSAT can indicate law school performance. But I don't think it's fair to take your score, which you got after half a year of studying the right materials and knowing the right methods, and use that to feel superior to your lower-scoring classmates, many of whom lacked your cultural capital and circumstances -- not knowing about resources like TLS, not having the ability to prep for multiple takes as you did (your first take was a 158), not having the ability to put in your hours, etc.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:28 pm

Max324 wrote:
john1990 wrote:If you place in the top quartile i believe you stand a good chance of getting a job. 15% of the class gets employment without a referral (out of 90% who are eligible) So if your in the top quartile you stand a good chance. Top 10% sounds good solid

Is there a good chance that the top 25% will find employment of some kind? Yes, fine. It wouldn't surprise me if that were true.

Is there a good chance that the top 25% will find employment in a FTLT bar-passage required job? Don't hold your breath. With so few people from TJLS obtaining those jobs, and so many grads being hired through their connections, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable in the top 25%.

john1990 wrote:I'm still waiting for all these 140's and 150's to come beat me on finals.

I'm bothered by this comment. It sounds like you've already developed a superiority complex. Remember that you studied hard for half a year, and had the right resources to score a 166. Not all of your classmates had those advantages. Many people take the LSAT while working demanding careers. Many have families to attend to. Many take the test cold, or with only a few weeks of studying.

I'm not saying you won't do well. It wouldn't surprise me if you ended up near the top of your class; no one is denying that the LSAT can indicate law school performance. But I don't think it's fair to take your score, which you got after half a year of studying the right materials and knowing the right methods, and use that to feel superior to your lower-scoring classmates, many of whom lacked your cultural capital and circumstances -- not knowing about resources like TLS, not having the ability to prep for multiple takes as you did (your first take was a 158), not having the ability to put in your hours, etc.

TLDR

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby 03152016 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:28 pm

john1990 wrote:
Max324 wrote:
john1990 wrote:If you place in the top quartile i believe you stand a good chance of getting a job. 15% of the class gets employment without a referral (out of 90% who are eligible) So if your in the top quartile you stand a good chance. Top 10% sounds good solid

Is there a good chance that the top 25% will find employment of some kind? Yes, fine. It wouldn't surprise me if that were true.

Is there a good chance that the top 25% will find employment in a FTLT bar-passage required job? Don't hold your breath. With so few people from TJLS obtaining those jobs, and so many grads being hired through their connections, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable in the top 25%.

john1990 wrote:I'm still waiting for all these 140's and 150's to come beat me on finals.

I'm bothered by this comment. It sounds like you've already developed a superiority complex. Remember that you studied hard for half a year, and had the right resources to score a 166. Not all of your classmates had those advantages. Many people take the LSAT while working demanding careers. Many have families to attend to. Many take the test cold, or with only a few weeks of studying.

I'm not saying you won't do well. It wouldn't surprise me if you ended up near the top of your class; no one is denying that the LSAT can indicate law school performance. But I don't think it's fair to take your score, which you got after half a year of studying the right materials and knowing the right methods, and use that to feel superior to your lower-scoring classmates, many of whom lacked your cultural capital and circumstances -- not knowing about resources like TLS, not having the ability to prep for multiple takes as you did (your first take was a 158), not having the ability to put in your hours, etc.

TLDR

If you have a hard time reading through a few paragraphs, good luck as a 1L.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:34 pm

Max324 wrote:
john1990 wrote:
Max324 wrote:
john1990 wrote:If you place in the top quartile i believe you stand a good chance of getting a job. 15% of the class gets employment without a referral (out of 90% who are eligible) So if your in the top quartile you stand a good chance. Top 10% sounds good solid

Is there a good chance that the top 25% will find employment of some kind? Yes, fine. It wouldn't surprise me if that were true.

Is there a good chance that the top 25% will find employment in a FTLT bar-passage required job? Don't hold your breath. With so few people from TJLS obtaining those jobs, and so many grads being hired through their connections, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable in the top 25%.

john1990 wrote:I'm still waiting for all these 140's and 150's to come beat me on finals.

I'm bothered by this comment. It sounds like you've already developed a superiority complex. Remember that you studied hard for half a year, and had the right resources to score a 166. Not all of your classmates had those advantages. Many people take the LSAT while working demanding careers. Many have families to attend to. Many take the test cold, or with only a few weeks of studying.

I'm not saying you won't do well. It wouldn't surprise me if you ended up near the top of your class; no one is denying that the LSAT can indicate law school performance. But I don't think it's fair to take your score, which you got after half a year of studying the right materials and knowing the right methods, and use that to feel superior to your lower-scoring classmates, many of whom lacked your cultural capital and circumstances -- not knowing about resources like TLS, not having the ability to prep for multiple takes as you did (your first take was a 158), not having the ability to put in your hours, etc.

TLDR

If you have a hard time reading through a few paragraphs, good luck as a 1L.

Its just more of the same basic disagreement and then some joke about 140 lsat'ers. Personally I scored a 150 on my first cold diagnostic. My 158 was a blunder, i was already scoring a 166

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:39 pm

john1990 wrote:I scored a 150 on my first cold diagnostic. My 158 was a blunder, i was already scoring a 166

I bow to your intellectual prowess

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:39 pm

guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:I scored a 150 on my first cold diagnostic. My 158 was a blunder, i was already scoring a 166

I bow to your intellectual prowess


Reading comp fail

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:41 pm

john1990 wrote:Reading comp fail

this should be your tagline

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:45 pm

guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:Reading comp fail

this should be your tagline

guano i could do one liners with you all day

Jcosma
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby Jcosma » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:19 pm

Egregious anti TJLS trolling

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:21 pm

Jcosma wrote:Egregious anti TJLS trolling
I'm not sure if it's trolling if it's all true

Jcosma
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby Jcosma » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:29 pm

guano wrote:
Jcosma wrote:Egregious anti TJLS trolling
I'm not sure if it's trolling if it's all true

I was...joking




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TheSpanishMain and 2 guests