Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15475
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law? (to: Baseball_2013 )

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:03 pm

beenessa wrote:Hello there - I just wanted to let you know that I currently work at a small privately owned law firm in Sacramento and one of our attorneys graduated from TJSL in 2009! He loved the school (and he was at the old campus!) I also wanted to let you know that my person tax attorney also went to TJSL and he has his own practice here in Sacramento. I went to visit the school earlier this month and was blown away - not only by the campus and location, but by the faculty and the professors! I sat in for a student and a faculty panel and I am really excited to start there this upcoming fall! Have you decided on whether you are attending or not?

So pathetic.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law? (to: Baseball_2013 )

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
beenessa wrote:Hello there - I just wanted to let you know that I currently work at a small privately owned law firm in Sacramento and one of our attorneys graduated from TJSL in 2009! He loved the school (and he was at the old campus!) I also wanted to let you know that my person tax attorney also went to TJSL and he has his own practice here in Sacramento. I went to visit the school earlier this month and was blown away - not only by the campus and location, but by the faculty and the professors! I sat in for a student and a faculty panel and I am really excited to start there this upcoming fall! Have you decided on whether you are attending or not?

So pathetic.


:lol:

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law? (to: Baseball_2013 )

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:20 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
beenessa wrote:Hello there - I just wanted to let you know that I currently work at a small privately owned law firm in Sacramento and one of our attorneys graduated from TJSL in 2009! He loved the school (and he was at the old campus!) I also wanted to let you know that my person tax attorney also went to TJSL and he has his own practice here in Sacramento. I went to visit the school earlier this month and was blown away - not only by the campus and location, but by the faculty and the professors! I sat in for a student and a faculty panel and I am really excited to start there this upcoming fall! Have you decided on whether you are attending or not?

So pathetic.


:lol:


Unfortunately, if you're dumb enough to be considering TJSL, you probably aren't savvy enough to spot trolling like this. Or you are a victim of confirmation bias and you'll make yourself believe it.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law? (to: Baseball_2013 )

Postby 20141023 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:20 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
beenessa wrote:Hello there - I just wanted to let you know that I currently work at a small privately owned law firm in Sacramento and one of our attorneys graduated from TJSL in 2009! He loved the school (and he was at the old campus!) I also wanted to let you know that my person tax attorney also went to TJSL and he has his own practice here in Sacramento. I went to visit the school earlier this month and was blown away - not only by the campus and location, but by the faculty and the professors! I sat in for a student and a faculty panel and I am really excited to start there this upcoming fall! Have you decided on whether you are attending or not?

So pathetic.


:lol:

Apparently that person somehow missed this.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law? (to: Baseball_2013 )

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:33 pm

beenessa wrote:Hello there - I just wanted to let you know that I currently work at a small privately owned law firm in Sacramento and one of our attorneys graduated from TJSL in 2009! He loved the school (and he was at the old campus!) I also wanted to let you know that my person tax attorney also went to TJSL and he has his own practice here in Sacramento. I went to visit the school earlier this month and was blown away - not only by the campus and location, but by the faculty and the professors! I sat in for a student and a faculty panel and I am really excited to start there this upcoming fall! Have you decided on whether you are attending or not?

God, it's like the school-paid shills aren't even trying anymore.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Whenever I hear of AIDS, all I see are the negatives. I would like someone to tell me some positives about AIDS. They must exist. Somewhere. Right?

(replace AIDS with TJSL, Cooley, etc.)

anticule
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 3:43 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby anticule » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:39 pm

well cooley does have an awesome library.

californiauser
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby californiauser » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Lol @ the new building being the #1 selling point

I would go to HLS if they taught classes in a tent.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:08 pm

californiauser wrote:Lol @ the new building being the #1 selling point

I would go to HLS if they taught classes in a tent.


Hippie Law School

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:09 pm

TTRansfer wrote:Whenever I hear of AIDS, all I see are the negatives. I would like someone to tell me some positives about AIDS. They must exist. Somewhere. Right?

(replace AIDS with TJSL, Cooley, etc.)

You can give AIDS to people you hate

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby 20141023 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:17 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:Whenever I hear of AIDS, all I see are the negatives. I would like someone to tell me some positives about AIDS. They must exist. Somewhere. Right?

(replace AIDS with TJSL, Cooley, etc.)

You can give AIDS to people you hate

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And it's a good way to politely tell someone that you don't want to go out with them; saying "sorry, I have AIDS" is much nicer than "sorry, but no."

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:Whenever I hear of AIDS, all I see are the negatives. I would like someone to tell me some positives about AIDS. They must exist. Somewhere. Right?

(replace AIDS with TJSL, Cooley, etc.)

You can give AIDS to people you hate


I can recommend to people I hate to attend TJLS, though. So I can still sort of give them the TJLS AIDS.

Paul Campos
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby Paul Campos » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:26 am

98% of 2012 TJSL graduates took out law school loans. The mean loan amount taken out was $168,800. This, however, doesn't include interest accrued during law school. A current law student who takes out $168,800 in loans will owe $201,000 on those loans when the first payment comes due, six months after graduation.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby rickgrimes69 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:12 am

Paul Campos wrote:98% of 2012 TJSL graduates took out law school loans. The mean loan amount taken out was $168,800. This, however, doesn't include interest accrued during law school. A current law student who takes out $168,800 in loans will owe $201,000 on those loans when the first payment comes due, six months after graduation.


See, this is what frustrates me about the unlimited availability of government-backed student loans. The efforts to be all-inclusive and allow everybody a chance to pursue postgraduate education results in ridiculously high interest rates across the board. There is no goddamn reason why someone who attends a T14 on a significant scholarship should pay the same rate as some idiot taking out $160k in loans to attend TJSL. The risk just isn't the same, and student loans seem to be the only area where relative risk isn't factored into the equation. Student loan debt wouldn't be as much of a problem if the students most likely to succeed weren't subsidizing the whims of those attending bottom-barrel schools.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby NoodleyOne » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:38 am

Lol... I bet a lot of TJLS grads have their own practice.

ironbmike
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law? (to: Baseball_2013 )

Postby ironbmike » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:54 am

beenessa wrote:Hello there - I just wanted to let you know that I currently work at a small privately owned law firm in Sacramento and one of our attorneys graduated from TJSL in 2009! He loved the school (and he was at the old campus!) I also wanted to let you know that my person tax attorney also went to TJSL and he has his own practice here in Sacramento. I went to visit the school earlier this month and was blown away - not only by the campus and location, but by the faculty and the professors! I sat in for a student and a faculty panel and I am really excited to start there this upcoming fall! Have you decided on whether you are attending or not?


WHERE DO I SIGN UP???

NoJob
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby NoJob » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Baseball_2013 wrote:I have recently been accepted to TJSL and am wondering if anyone has any encouraging information regarding this school. I have seen all of the negative posts out there (Tier 4, waste of money, etc., etc.), but what I would like to see is something positive about the school. It still seems to attract a large number of applicants and has recently built a new facility in downtown San Diego, which means it can't be a complete "waste of money."

Unfortunately, I have had to receive straight A's for the last two years in order to make up for the 2.24 GPA that I transferred with (from when I was young and dumb). I have been able to get my GPA up to a 3.0 finally. My 147 LSAT score isn't helping either. I am still waiting to hear back from a couple of other schools, but if I don't get into those schools, then TJSL may be the school I choose. I would love to see some comments from people who are familiar with the school and the surrounding areas. Thanks!

Also accepted at:
Vermont Law School
Whittier Law School
Phoenix School of Law
Monterey College of Law


All garbage. Don't go.

BeautifulSW
Posts: 581
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby BeautifulSW » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:31 pm

Monterey College of Law is not ABA approved. It is also wildly cheaper than sticker at any other school on this list. If doing Small Law or having a career in state or local government employ is the goal AND there is no realistic possibility of leaving California for the foreseeable future, AND no ABA school offers substantial money, AND you are absolutely dead set on becoming a lawyer MAYBE MCL would be a viable choice. But I personally still wouldn't do it.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:03 pm

How did I miss this fucking gem of a thread?

TheNextAmendment
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby TheNextAmendment » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Yeah..hysterical..

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:51 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Paul Campos wrote:98% of 2012 TJSL graduates took out law school loans. The mean loan amount taken out was $168,800. This, however, doesn't include interest accrued during law school. A current law student who takes out $168,800 in loans will owe $201,000 on those loans when the first payment comes due, six months after graduation.


See, this is what frustrates me about the unlimited availability of government-backed student loans. The efforts to be all-inclusive and allow everybody a chance to pursue postgraduate education results in ridiculously high interest rates across the board. There is no goddamn reason why someone who attends a T14 on a significant scholarship should pay the same rate as some idiot taking out $160k in loans to attend TJSL. The risk just isn't the same, and student loans seem to be the only area where relative risk isn't factored into the equation. Student loan debt wouldn't be as much of a problem if the students most likely to succeed weren't subsidizing the whims of those attending bottom-barrel schools.


The issue is trying to make a "profit" off of government backed student loans and trying to guarantee access at the same time. It requires you to keep rates at a blended amount because you know the TJSL kid is not going to pay it back even at 2%, so you basically write that debt off and make a profit off the Harvard kid (who ends up spending 40K per year on loans that he could be buying shit or investing with). If we decided that education was something we should really care about instead of just a way for some people to get rich then we'd have cost controls in place.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:45 pm

I figured Id weigh in since I am attending there.

It is true that only 25% of the class has a job at graduation. However, it is easy to do well at the school since it is not very competitive. Personally I beat the schools 75th percentiles so I like my chances of finishing in the top 25% and getting a job. Other schools which only require top 50% are far more competitive.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:47 pm

john1990 wrote:I figured Id weigh in since I am attending there.

It is true that only 25% of the class has a job at graduation. However, it is easy to do well at the school since it is not very competitive. Personally I beat the schools 75th percentiles so I like my chances of finishing in the top 25% and getting a job. Other schools which only require top 50% are far more competitive.

someone forgot to discount how many of those 25% employed at graduation had a job lined up before they started, and ignored how many of those jobs pay the same as walmart or mcdonalds

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:40 pm

guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:I figured Id weigh in since I am attending there.

It is true that only 25% of the class has a job at graduation. However, it is easy to do well at the school since it is not very competitive. Personally I beat the schools 75th percentiles so I like my chances of finishing in the top 25% and getting a job. Other schools which only require top 50% are far more competitive.

someone forgot to discount how many of those 25% employed at graduation had a job lined up before they started, and ignored how many of those jobs pay the same as walmart or mcdonalds


No

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Thomas Jefferson School of Law?

Postby guano » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:54 pm

john1990 wrote:
guano wrote:
john1990 wrote:I figured Id weigh in since I am attending there.

It is true that only 25% of the class has a job at graduation. However, it is easy to do well at the school since it is not very competitive. Personally I beat the schools 75th percentiles so I like my chances of finishing in the top 25% and getting a job. Other schools which only require top 50% are far more competitive.

someone forgot to discount how many of those 25% employed at graduation had a job lined up before they started, and ignored how many of those jobs pay the same as walmart or mcdonalds


No
I've seen your ability to parse employment statistics




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests