Harvard v. Mordecai at Duke (possibly Yale)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Mordecai, Harvard, or Yale

Mordecai at Duke
43%
Harvard
11%
Yale (if I get in)
46%

Total votes: 102

NinerFan

Re: Harvard v. Mordecai at Duke (possibly Yale)

Postby NinerFan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:23 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I say Mordecai, but keep in mind you can easily end up bottom 10% at Duke.

Easily as in 10% of every class ends up in the bottom 10%? Or easily as in "Oh yeah, full scholly people end up in the bottom 10% all the time" because I'd be shocked if, in all the T-14, they were many low-ranked jobless full named scholarship folks.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I say Mordecai, but keep in mind you can easily end up bottom 10% at Duke.

Common sense would lead one to believe Mordecai Scholars who work as hard as the others avoid bottom 10%

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:28 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:

Common sense would lead one to believe Mordecai Scholars who work as hard as the others avoid bottom 10%

Being a Mordecai Scholar doesn't mean a person is any better at law school than his classmates.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Tom Joad wrote:

Being a Mordecai Scholar doesn't mean a person is any better at law school than his classmates.

But do you have any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, of a T-14 full scholly ending up at the bottom of their class or unemployed?

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Tom Joad wrote:

Sorry, Tom Joad is right. Sorry I didn't even take that into consideration. My bad. Disregard my comment.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:42 pm

NinerFan wrote:But do you have any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, of a T-14 full scholly ending up at the bottom of their class or unemployed?

Some anecdotal, but not even strong enough to share the specifics. Check out LSAT and GPA correlations with law school grades. They have some predictive power, but not much. The guy with a Mordacai might have a 174 and the guy paying sticker might have a 170, but those scores are basically the same. Especially when you consider that everybody prepares differently for the LSAT. Am a magically better at law school now than when I took a test cold and got a 150 something?

ephemeral.bete.noire

Postby ephemeral.bete.noire » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:23 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
nebula666 wrote:Yale > Duke > Harvard

You should be a part of that whole Yale thing.

Patrick, are saying they should be a closeted homosexual and do a lot of cocaine?

Yes. That Yale thing.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
NinerFan wrote:But do you have any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, of a T-14 full scholly ending up at the bottom of their class or unemployed?

Some anecdotal, but not even strong enough to share the specifics. Check out LSAT and GPA correlations with law school grades. They have some predictive power, but not much. The guy with a Mordacai might have a 174 and the guy paying sticker might have a 170, but those scores are basically the same. Especially when you consider that everybody prepares differently for the LSAT. Am a magically better at law school now than when I took a test cold and got a 150 something?

It'd be a PR disaster for a full named scholly at this level to be jobless. I highly doubt there are even a few, if any, wandering around out there. The administration would undoubtedly bend over backwards to make sure they were taken care of. I mean, I guess we'll just agree to disagree, because best case, you're going to get a job while just paying COL for your education and worst case, you end up unemployed (again, I highly doubt this happens) and your education was still free.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:13 pm

I had named scholarship offers (including the Mordecai) at multiple T-10 schools and ended up in or near the bottom 1/3 at H after 1L year. Assuming similar performance throughout the T-15 or so schools, I might have been in trouble at OCI. I'm not going to say for a fact that I would have ended up jobless, especially since I am skeptical of the weight TLS puts on grades for OCI, but my grades would not have been a strong part of my candidacy.

UNC22

Postby UNC22 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:00 am

Hey everyone,
No need to convince me that I am not any better than my prospective classmates. I only included numbers because when I was applying I was interested in what numbers warranted scholarship interviews and thought others may want to know. Again I know any law school will be tough, but if you could keep your advice to my prospective schools I would appreciate it. Feel free to bring more pretentious scholarship holders down on other threads.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:50 pm

NinerFan wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

It'd be a PR disaster for a full named scholly at this level to be jobless. I highly doubt there are even a few, if any, wandering around out there. The administration would undoubtedly bend over backwards to make sure they were taken care of. I mean, I guess we'll just agree to disagree, because best case, you're going to get a job while just paying COL for your education and worst case, you end up unemployed (again, I highly doubt this happens) and your education was still free.

A PR disaster? Are you retarded?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”