GMU or W&M over sticker UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mdrunner165

GMU or W&M over sticker UVA

Postby mdrunner165 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:55 pm

Applying for law schools to enter in Fall 2014. Is it better to go to a lower ranked/less expensive school such as GMU or W&M ($24,000) over a sticker price school such as UVA? I'm not looking at big law. Hoping to stay in Northern VA/DC/Maryland.

manofjustice

Re: GMU or W&M over sticker UVA

Postby manofjustice » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:49 am

mdrunner165 wrote:Applying for law schools to enter in Fall 2014. Is it better to go to a lower ranked/less expensive school such as GMU or W&M ($24,000) over a sticker price school such as UVA? I'm not looking at big law. Hoping to stay in Northern VA/DC/Maryland.

There is no doubt that the value-added of a higher ranked school is diminished considerably as controlled for relative 1L grades. But don't go crazy. Evaluate the question in the context of your actual price sensitivity. If you have none, go to the higher ranked school: it's a better product.

But if you are taking out loans, my friend, you literally have no choice: being that you don't want to go into BigLaw, you must take out as little debt as possible. Just no choice. Take the scholarship and gun.

TheZoid

Re: GMU or W&M over sticker UVA

Postby TheZoid » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:53 am

I'm not familiar with UVA's lrap or lraps in general, but you should look into that. Given the competitiveness of government and PI positions, it may make sense to take the T14 school, but I'm sure someone who is PI oriented could give you better advice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”