Michigan vs. UVA vs. Berkeley

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
californiabeauar

Michigan vs. UVA vs. Berkeley

Postby californiabeauar » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:03 pm

These are my top choices I am considering. All three would be at 'sticker,' unfortunately. Cost of living would be cheapest at UVA and more expensive at Berkeley (not sure about Michigan). I am an extreme reverse splitter with solid softs (have taken the LSAT three times, so no retake responses please).

I'd like to have a decent paying job (biglaw I suppose?) in whatever major market. My understanding, based on research, is that Berkeley=UVA employment wise and Michigan is a little weaker, if not equal.

I was given 20K/year from UCLA but am not considering it as I'd take better employment prospects over 60K.

Based on your understanding of employment prospects, location, social-life, etc, what school gives the overall best experience and hopes of landing a decent paying job?

Also, still waiting for Cornell (if this makes any difference). Probably a rejection/waitlist, however.

EDIT: I got rid of the poll because people are not giving their rationales...
Last edited by californiabeauar on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tom Joad

Re: Michigan vs. UVA vs. Berkeley

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:05 pm

Where are you from?

californiabeauar

Postby californiabeauar » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Silicon Valley, CA. I have solid ties to CA so I don't think going to Michigan or UVA would stop me from coming back, assuming I have decent grades?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:13 pm

californiabeauar wrote:Silicon Valley, CA. I have solid ties to CA so I don't think going to Michigan or UVA would stop me from coming back, assuming I have decent grades?

I think the conventional view is that you should be able to get back to CA from UVA or Michigan, but I have heard otherwise as well.

Have full-rides at Hastings or Davis?

californiabeauar

Postby californiabeauar » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:16 pm

I got a small scholarship from UC Hastings and didn't apply to Davis. I should also note that I have no qualms about moving cross-country. I have family in Washington, D.C and so the move to UVA wouldn't be too bad.

I'm also liked the Cville environment a tiny bit more than Berkeley. I also preferred their cherry-wood lockers vs. Berkeley's steel ones, haha. I'm just looking for other factors in deciding between the schools. Berkeley's library does kick a$$. Michigan wins the aesthetic awards, but I'm guessing their employment stat's rules it out?

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:47 pm

i'm sorry. i don't mean to be rude, but didn't you tell everyone that you withdrew from berk on Feb. 11 over in the Berk c/o 2016 thread?

californiabeauar wrote:Just withdrew acceptance (hopefully for a deserving waitlist-er) :D Went to Cal for undergrad and loved it. Solid liberal vibe and the law library is very very nice. I just think I'm overall better situated at one of it's peers. For those accepted and expect to matriculate, if you guys have any questions on housing or want some suggestions, PM me. Good luck everybody

i'm assuming you didn't, which is why you started this thread. big difference between "intending" to withdraw and actually withdrawing.

twinkletoes16

Postby twinkletoes16 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:56 pm

djwjddl wrote:i'm sorry. i don't mean to be rude, but didn't you tell everyone that you withdrew from berk on Feb. 11 over in the Berk c/o 2016 thread?

californiabeauar wrote:Just withdrew acceptance (hopefully for a deserving waitlist-er) :D Went to Cal for undergrad and loved it. Solid liberal vibe and the law library is very very nice. I just think I'm overall better situated at one of it's peers. For those accepted and expect to matriculate, if you guys have any questions on housing or want some suggestions, PM me. Good luck everybody

i'm assuming you didn't, which is why you started this thread. big difference between "intending" to withdraw and actually withdrawing.

OHHHH SHIIIII-

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:09 pm

UVa has more east coast clout than Berkeley (NY, DC, etc.) and wont hold you back from Cali. NY is a valuable backup from UVa and UVa also has strong rep in other places if you can think of some ties you have (Cal does as well but there are more markets in the east and south then west).

Also, Cville is a great place to go to school for 3 years and is probably cheaper to attend (CoL and tuition). I'd go to UVa just because you have already lived near Berkeley and why not live somewhere else (it's also nice to get away from what you know to focus during 1L).

my two pennies

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Objectively doesn't matter what you choose.

I'll add though that it doesn't make a ton of sense to me why people move across the country to attend a school that's fungible with another one. Go on a vacation if you want to travel, but if you want to have a career in California, then don't move to Virginia for three years. Just saying.

Goblin Tacos

Postby Goblin Tacos » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:47 pm

Uva for reasons others have mentioned. You won't have problems getting back to cali and if you happen to hit a homerun during 1l, DC and definitely NYC are possible

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Visit all three schools. See which one you like more than the others. Go there.

californiabeauar

Postby californiabeauar » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Thanks USN for helping me decide. UVA it is

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:41 pm

californiabeauar wrote:Thanks USN for helping me decide. UVA it is

lol this is dumb

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:01 am