Regent University School of Law - Thoughts from a 1L

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pneumonia

Re: Regent University School of Law - Thoughts from a 1L

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:11 pm

This is anecdotal as well but:

I have a family member who attended Regent Law a while back (+10 years) but dropped out after the first semester. His reason was that he had several professors who spoke out with impunity against Christianity, not just from alternate worldviews but from an anti-Christian perspective. Apparently the cost of hiring prestigious faculty was having tenured professors who were vehemently opposed to almost everything that you would read about core beliefs on the school's website. This probably sounds far fetched (why would the school hire those professors, and more curiously, why would the professors accept?) but I did get confirmation from the family member before posting. He ended up pursuing a JD/MDiv at another school; not Duke, not Baylor, but somewhere in between.

Not that the OP was less than forthcoming (perhaps it is different at Regent now), but as a caution to those who are considering ignoring debt, <50% scholarship stipulations, the school's reputation, bar passage rates, and employment data etc. for the prospect of a "Christian" legal education- you may not even find that.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:19 pm

A law school with no Jews?
Now that's reason for concern.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:37 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:47 pm

I just want to say that I live in Regent's backyard, and even NON-LAWYERS make fun of Regent's impact. How bad is it when the lay person knows it's a shithole?

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:49 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:to even do it is a shameless hyperbolic ad hominem.

Perhaps it is a shameless hyperbolic ad hominem attack, but it is not undeserved. If you want to white-knight Regents be my guest, but their Dean's Welcome speaks for itself. :wink:

Regents Law - Dean's Welcome wrote:However, training in legal skills alone is not enough. What makes Regent unique among law schools approved by the American Bar Association is that we thoroughly integrate a Christian perspective in the classroom. We are committed to the proposition that there are truths--eternal principles of justice--about the way we should practice law and about the law itself. We believe character matters. We talk openly about how an attorney can have integrity and humility in a profession that challenges both. And we discuss not only what the law is, but also its origin and what it ought to be.

As you consider attending a law school, I encourage you to think about a legal education that recognizes the critical role the Christian faith should play in our legal system :shock: and your professional life. I trust that in so doing, you will be drawn to Regent Law for your legal studies.

Do you not know what the Westboro Baptist Church is? Saying that christian morality should be part of the legal system is a far cry from "Soldiers die, because [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.]"

Postby 20141023 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:56 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:01 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:

Perhaps it is a shameless hyperbolic ad hominem attack, but it is not undeserved. If you want to white-knight Regents be my guest, but their Dean's Welcome speaks for itself. :wink:

Regents Law - Dean's Welcome wrote:However, training in legal skills alone is not enough. What makes Regent unique among law schools approved by the American Bar Association is that we thoroughly integrate a Christian perspective in the classroom. We are committed to the proposition that there are truths--eternal principles of justice--about the way we should practice law and about the law itself. We believe character matters. We talk openly about how an attorney can have integrity and humility in a profession that challenges both. And we discuss not only what the law is, but also its origin and what it ought to be.

As you consider attending a law school, I encourage you to think about a legal education that recognizes the critical role the Christian faith should play in our legal system :shock: and your professional life. I trust that in so doing, you will be drawn to Regent Law for your legal studies.

Do you not know what the Westboro Baptist Church is? Saying that christian morality should be part of the legal system is a far cry from "Soldiers die, because [Hi; this person hates sunshine and kittens and pleasant things in the world]"

There are few things worse in American society (albeit some) than the misguided bullshit artists of the Westboro Baptist Church. Regardless of your political or religious affiliations, you actively praise the death of U.S. soldiers and their sacrifice? Even if you disagree with the politics, accept that these men and women are giving their lives for the highest cause: belief in a system and way of life worth protecting. Protest the politics, not the people.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:05 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:Do you not know what the Westboro Baptist Church is? Saying that christian morality should be part of the legal system is a far cry from "Soldiers die, because [Hi; this person hates sunshine and kittens and pleasant things in the world]"

Sorry brah, but from my warped atheist perspective, incorporating Christian morality into the legal system is almost as crazy as a bunch of crazies (a.k.a. Westboro Baptist Church). :D

+1

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:11 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:It always scares me to think that people like this might become lawmakers. (Hopefully nobody at Regents is this bad, but I think that you have to be a certain level of crazy to consider paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to attend a "Christian" law school.)

Several Westboro members are attorneys. I believe they all got their degrees from Washburn. Fred Phelps was actually a semi-prominent civil rights attorney. He also ran for governor of Kansas and got about 30% of the vote in the Democratic primary.

Ling520

Postby Ling520 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:33 am

matthewsean85 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:

Do you not know what the Westboro Baptist Church is? Saying that christian morality should be part of the legal system is a far cry from "Soldiers die, because [Hi; this person hates sunshine and kittens and pleasant things in the world]"

There are few things worse in American society (albeit some) than the misguided bullshit artists of the Westboro Baptist Church. Regardless of your political or religious affiliations, you actively praise the death of U.S. soldiers and their sacrifice?

As a veteran who's lost friends in combat, I don't care at all about what some church thinks or says about veterans. Religion seeping into law and politics or the weakening of the first amendment would concern me, however.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:02 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:Do you not know what the Westboro Baptist Church is? Saying that christian morality should be part of the legal system is a far cry from "Soldiers die, because [Hi; this person hates sunshine and kittens and pleasant things in the world]"

Sorry brah, but from my warped atheist perspective, incorporating Christian morality into the legal system is almost as crazy as a bunch of crazies (a.k.a. Westboro Baptist Church). :D

Don't be an asshole dude. Every post you have made in this thread has been unproductive.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:25 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:40 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:

Don't be an asshole dude. Every post you have made in this thread has been unproductive.

Regent serves a niche market and could definitely be an attractive option for some students.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:43 am

I agree that the religious dogma at Regents stigmatizes the school to some extent, but let's not turn this into a debate about religion. There are plenty of places to do that in the lounge.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:22 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paul554

Postby paul554 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:24 am

Tom Joad wrote:Regent serves a niche market and could definitely be an attractive option for some students.

The problem I think though is that even that niche market is limited. Many christian organizations disagree with the theology behind Pat Robertson and CBN. Now when these organizations look at hiring anyone from Regent they will have to wonder if that person has learned either inadvertently or not, the same flawed theology that their trying to avoid.

Really, the only way I can see attending Regent is if you either have guaranteed employment or are simply getting a law degree for the sake of getting one.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:54 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Regent serves a niche market and could definitely be an attractive option for some students.

While Regents might serve a niche market, this doesn't change the fact that its employment rates are downright awful. The same niche-market argument could presumably be made for Cooley, Thomas Jefferson, and Phoenix.

Regent has a different niche market than Cooley, etc. because there are many students that wouldn't feel comfortable attending more secular law schools. You can't argue with the employment numbers, but many of Regent's students have different priorities than typical law students.

guano

Postby guano » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:07 pm

I just want to point out that the numerous other religion influenced law schools prove that having a religious background/slant doesn't mean the education is any better or worse. Most prominently BYU, which no reasonable person would slam the way Regents has been maligned.

Talking about its shitty employment prospects is one thing, but lets not slam it for being religious

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:10 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:

While Regents might serve a niche market, this doesn't change the fact that its employment rates are downright awful. The same niche-market argument could presumably be made for Cooley, Thomas Jefferson, and Phoenix.

Regent has a different niche market than Cooley, etc. because there are many students that wouldn't feel comfortable attending more secular law schools. You can't argue with the employment numbers, but many of Regent's students have different priorities than typical law students.

Ok, but if you can't handle attending a law school with people who hold different beliefs, perhaps the law is not your ideal profession. It isn't summer camp, it's career training. In real life not everyone is an evangelical Christian and the judge isn't going to rule in your favor because you quoted his favorite verse from the KJV.

I suppose that someone could start a Lord of the Rings law school too and there would probably be market demand for it, but that doesn't mean it's not a terrible idea.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:20 pm

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:34 pm

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:41 pm

nickb285 wrote:Image

Nailed it.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:05 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:

Like what, unemployment?

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 pm

guano wrote:I just want to point out that the numerous other religion influenced law schools prove that having a religious background/slant doesn't mean the education is any better or worse. Most prominently BYU, which no reasonable person would slam the way Regents has been maligned.

Talking about its shitty employment prospects is one thing, but lets not slam it for being religious

Also, ND, GULC, Fordham, and BC.

Postby 20141023 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:26 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”