Gov't/Clerkship/Academia route at UVa Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
whereskyle

Silver

Gov't/Clerkship/Academia route at UVa

Post by whereskyle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:33 am

Recent admit looking to hear from those, who have walked the above listed roads at c'ville. Please share publicly or pm me. I appreciate the insight of any grads or knowers by association. I was admitted without a scholarship offer over the telephone, and I want to ascertain whether or not my intended route is practicable at a likely high price. Also, any advice on coaxing money out of uva (maybe say, 15k/yr) without a competing offer? Thanks, all.

bluecouch

Bronze

Re: Gov't/Clerkship/Academia route at UVa

Post by bluecouch » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:04 am

whereskyle wrote:Recent admit looking to hear from those, who have walked the above listed roads at c'ville. Please share publicly or pm me. I appreciate the insight of any grads or knowers by association. I was admitted without a scholarship offer over the telephone, and I want to ascertain whether or not my intended route is practicable at a likely high price. Also, any advice on coaxing money out of uva (maybe say, 15k/yr) without a competing offer? Thanks, all.
I'm interested to hear this, too. Weighing NYU and UVA, waiting on some others...

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:05 pm

UVA is not the place to go for any of these. Whatever tiny number of JD-required federal government jobs are available, they are going almost entirely to YHS grads. Only ~10% of the class at UVA will end up with Article III clerkships. And UVA produced all of 14 tenure-track law professors from 1995-2010.

If these are your goals, you need to retake that 170 and get into YHS.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Ti Malice wrote:UVA is not the place to go for any of these. Whatever tiny number of JD-required federal government jobs are available, they are going almost entirely to YHS grads. Only ~10% of the class at UVA will end up with Article III clerkships. And UVA produced all of 14 tenure-track law professors from 1995-2010.

+1

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:31 pm

Ti Malice wrote:UVA is not the place to go for any of these. Whatever tiny number of JD-required federal government jobs are available, they are going almost entirely to YHS grads. Only ~10% of the class at UVA will end up with Article III clerkships. And UVA produced all of 14 tenure-track law professors from 1995-2010.

The part about "whatever tiny JD-required federal government jobs are available, they are going almost enitrely to YHS grads" is wrong. Depends on what JD-required jobs you're looking at. Typically, grades matter more to DOJ than school. If you have the grades and YHS, then you're usually in a better spot. But it's not like BigLaw where Top 25% at Harvard is equivalent to Top 10% at UVA (or whatever conversion formula you want to use). For DOJ, it's: are you in the Top 10-15%? If so, let's look at the rest of your package and consider the school as part of it.

Further, the bulk of DOJ hiring has been an immigration positions and those are definitely not going only to HYS. The most competitive DOJ positions - primarily DOJ Civil - will likely go to HYS, but even then, you're not going to be shut out by being at UVA.

The above quote is just misinformation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”