Davis or Hastings for Tax Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
swittig

Davis or Hastings for Tax Law?

Postby swittig » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Part of me thinks this should be a no brainer because of rankings but Hastings does have a much more comprehensive tax program, it's even a concentration there. Hastings was also #22 on USNWR's Tax Law Schools last year but has since fallen off the rankings (I do realize that specialty rankings are somewhat controversial.) http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... -2013.html

So what do you guys think, do I go with the higher ranked school (Davis) or the more comprehensive tax program/concentration plus specialty rankings (Hastings)?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Re: Davis or Hastings for Tax Law?

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:09 pm

swittig wrote:Part of me thinks this should be a no brainer because of rankings but Hastings does have a much more comprehensive tax program, it's even a concentration there. Hastings was also #22 on USNWR's Tax Law Schools last year but has since fallen off the rankings (I do realize that specialty rankings are somewhat controversial.) http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... -2013.html

So what do you guys think, do I go with the higher ranked school (Davis) or the more comprehensive tax program/concentration plus specialty rankings (Hastings)?

Hastings and Davis are peer schools. Check out Law School Transparency to get a nice look at their job placement data, but I'm guessing they'll be pretty similar. Ignore USNEWS.

Ignore Hastings "speciality" ranking. Base your decision on cost and whether you want to work in the Bay Area or not. Surely Davis could get you there with some good fortune, but Hasting will have more alums in the Bay, and a bit better shot.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:21 pm

2L at Hastings here.

Two points, first usually a "specialty" won't help you regardless. At Hastings you'll get to take at most one tax course before OCI, and your GPA will matter way more than the grade in that class. While going for tax might help you if you're in the top third or so, it won't help you below median (which is inherently where half the class ends up).

Second, be REALLY careful about thinking that "rankings" mean anything, especially if doing a Davis v. Hastings comparison. The schools have equivalent biglaw placement scores (10.9% at Hastings, 11.3% at Davis), but this isn't the whole picture, you also need to consider WHERE in these people are placing.

Ultimately, when I was a 0L I chose Hastings over Davis because many Davis grads get placed in Sacremento, and I never really had an interest in working there. Hastings students, meanwhile, mostly go to SF/SV. The bigger size of Hastings means you also have a way have a better chance in SoCal (again, compared to Davis, not compared to USC/UCLA).

Don't get caught up in the rankings, consider WHERE you want to work, and see how many grads actually end up there.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:36 pm

^. There were also quite a firms interviewing for tax SA's at Hastings. I don't know how many placed though...

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:42 pm

swittig wrote:Part of me thinks this should be a no brainer because of rankings but Hastings does have a much more comprehensive tax program, it's even a concentration there. Hastings was also #22 on USNWR's Tax Law Schools last year but has since fallen off the rankings (I do realize that specialty rankings are somewhat controversial.) http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... -2013.html

Unless you want to stay in California, none and retake.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”