How Much More Should UPenn be worth over Michigan and UVA?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

How big of a difference in scholarship money is Penn worth vs. UVA and Michigan?

No Difference
30%
$5,000.00/year
10%
$10,000.00/year
11%
$15,000.00/year
12%
$20,000.00/year
11%
$25,000.00/year
25%

Total votes: 89

Nelson

Re: How Much More Should UPenn be worth over Michigan and UVA?

Postby Nelson » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:21 pm

Look. If you have great grades from Penn, there is no door that's closed. But I think that's true at any of these schools. The % differences you guys are obsessing over are so small in terms of number of students it takes to swing one way or other, I'm just not convinced by this argument that Penn has a massive advantage. It's not like median kids are waltzing into elite firms. I don't have access to OCI stats from other schools so I don't know what's going on at those schools.

I would guess there might be a couple factors at work: small class size gives the percentages a bump (just like Chi), the vast majority of the class here is laser-focused on NYC (which recovered a little better than most), Philly kids targeting local firms (and Philly regional firms are bigger than the regional firms in the South or Midwest that UVA or Mich target), and just plain noise in the data.

I'm a weird case because I didn't get into M or V and I'm at Penn for personal reasons primarily. Someone with no ties should follow the money. There's certainly no reason to pay sticker here to leave money on the table somewhere else.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:28 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
banjo wrote:It's worth keeping in mind that about 20% of Penn's class stays in Pennsylvania. These students might have Philly or Pittsburgh ties that get them regional biglaw jobs.

And... that doesn't apply to Michigan or UVA? Not sure how this is a distinguishing factor.

Because there is no "biglaw" anywhere near UVA or Michigan. UVA's "home market" would be DC (3 hours away, mind you), but because it's DC (the most competitive market) no one has a dominating advantage there. Ties aren't nearly as important there.

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:29 pm

If you really look at the numbers, firms are hiring roughly the same amount of people from MVPBN, and class sizes are the difference in percentage. There is something to be said about having less competition though.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:32 pm

I have no idea if T6 is something solely fabricated by TLS or if it is of importance. If T6 is in some way beneficial, chances of Penn returning to the T6 are considerably better.

Nynaeve

Postby Nynaeve » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:38 pm

dsn32 wrote:If you really look at the numbers, firms are hiring roughly the same amount of people from MVPBN, and class sizes are the difference in percentage. There is something to be said about having less competition though.

Hm, true, but that different in the percentage of the class getting biglaw is directly proportional to your shot, percentage-wise, at getting said biglaw, so it's not inconsequential.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Figured I'd also link to this post by rayiner, which discusses some of Penn's advantages: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194054&start=25#p5919743

BSC

Postby BSC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:40 pm

BSC wrote:Looks like I'll be choosing between these two. IDK how helpful the poll results are since the majority are at the two extremes.

What do you think the answer is for someone interested in DC or southeastern biglaw and with ties to the southeast? (me)
Penn doesn't place a lot into these regions... but who knows about its ability to place there..

skers

Postby skers » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:07 pm

BSC wrote:
BSC wrote:Looks like I'll be choosing between these two. IDK how helpful the poll results are since the majority are at the two extremes.

What do you think the answer is for someone interested in DC or southeastern biglaw and with ties to the southeast? (me)
Penn doesn't place a lot into these regions... but who knows about its ability to place there..

If you're wanting to stay in the southeast, I don't know why the fuck you wouldn't just going to UVA/Duke.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:48 pm

I think it's safe to say the people who voted Penn is worth $25k/year more than UVA and Michigan are trolls...that's just ridiculous.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:07 pm

I think it's safe to say the people who voted Penn is worth $25k/year more than UVA and Michigan are trolls...that's just ridiculous.

Or, live in the NE. Or strongly desire NYC. Or, have wealthy 'rents. Or....

(I didn't vote.)

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:08 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:I think it's safe to say the people who voted Penn is worth $25k/year more than UVA and Michigan are trolls...that's just ridiculous.

Unless you look at it this way (using rough numbers for the hypo)...

Mich with 75k will be around 175k total debt.

Penn at sticker will be around 250k total debt.

It's biglaw or bust in either case so why not take the school that gives you the best chance of achieving that.
If you strike out in either case you are in for a world of hurt.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”